Guide

Bale

Minion
Small issue: I've got a createable Staff of Ed, so the Guide thinks it is time to spin the pyramid three times. It is not time yet. First I need to open the pyramid.

Solution: get_property("questL11Pyramid") is "step11" if I haven't yet opened the pyramid. It becomes "step12" once it is time to spin the pyramid. That's an extra if-else statement checking to see if it is step12 around line 5782. If it isn't step12 yet, then the guide should suggest opening the pyramid and providing a link to the beach.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
A few things I noticed as I try this out:

Bring along the gelatinous cubeling - Acquire Pick-O-Matic lockpicks to speed up the daily dungeon
This is not necessary because I have lots of skeleton keys (9 in inventory). Maybe Guide should mention this as an option.

The Fancy hot dog edible section gives fullness only for the Optimal Dog - I would be nice to have this info for all the dogs. And to provide a link to the hot dog stand maybe.

I am at the very end of my run, but I will use this more for my next one!

Bale

Minion
LoL! "Liberate the King" is listed as an optional task!

Bring along the gelatinous cubeling - Acquire Pick-O-Matic lockpicks to speed up the daily dungeon
This is not necessary because I have lots of skeleton keys (9 in inventory). Maybe Guide should mention this as an option.

It's only three more turns with the cubeling. How many skeleton keys are enough to guarantee not needing the lockpicks?

Last edited:

ckb

Minion
Staff member
It's only three more turns with the cubeling. How many skeleton keys are enough to guarantee not needing the lockpicks?

As I understand it, the non-chest rooms are randomized between being a monster/trap/door. Chest rooms are #5, #10, and #15.
If EVERY possible room is a door, there will be 12 doors (without the Ring of Detect Boring Doors). With the Ring, this is -4, so 8 doors. This would be the max number of keys required per instance.

I am not sure how the distribution works, but if it is just a 1/3 chance of a door for every room, then getting all doors would be extremely unlikely.
4 or 5 is probably reasonable to ignore the lockpicks... though the script could calculate a probability for the user if it is interesting (and if my assumptions based on the wiki info are correct).

Theraze

I thought that it was a set distribution between monster/trap/door with 4 of each of the 3 options, with the randomness being which of the 3 will be in which space being set randomly. Is that not the case?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The number of locked doors, monsters, and so on is the same every day, only the order is changed. You also get to skip even seeing some rooms.

Theraze

Yeah, so for ckb, without the boring ring to skip any doors, getting 3 legend keys, you will need 12 keys to get through everything. Right?

Ethelred

I thought that it was a set distribution between monster/trap/door with 4 of each of the 3 options, with the randomness being which of the 3 will be in which space being set randomly. Is that not the case?

That is my understanding as well and my experince bears this out. I'm curruntly doing a bunch of DDs with a multi to get all the skill books and a cubeling. I bought a ring of boring door detection and an eleven foot pole from the mall, made a bunch of skeleton keys and always finish the DD in exactly 4 turns.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
This all sounds correct, and aligns with my anecdotal recall of experiences. So number of keys needed is MAX 4 per Daily dungeon. With the ring, it could be less (skipping 4 rooms).
So total keys currently needed for safe passage would be: (3 - # of DD keys or tokens [or maybe KL pies] ) * 4

Bale

Minion
I think that the conclusion of this is that it's a very good idea to spend an extra 3 combats with the cubeling to get the lockpicks, even if you have 9 skeleton keys.

Ezandora

Found an oversight, you don't list the lianas in the Massive Ziggurat until the player is ready to kill the boss.
Small issue: I've got a createable Staff of Ed, so the Guide thinks it is time to spin the pyramid three times. It is not time yet. First I need to open the pyramid.
Good idea. Done.

Perhaps someone might want to look at a responsive CSS layout, using @media tags, based on width, to create a more optimised layout when in a narrower column :)
Complicated, but a very good point. I'll look into it.

Use "modtrace rest" to see what all of the relevant values are that mafia tracks, and numeric_modifier( "base resting hp" ) and so on to retrieve those values.
Ah, thanks. Added some code for that, but it turns out resting is a complicated formula. For instance, gauze hammocks are applied after other bonuses, I think? Need more information.

A few things I noticed as I try this out:

The Fancy hot dog edible section gives fullness only for the Optimal Dog - I would be nice to have this info for all the dogs. And to provide a link to the hot dog stand maybe.

I am at the very end of my run, but I will use this more for my next one!

Fancy hot dog section needed improvement - I think it should be better? Thanks for pointing that out.

As for that scenario, it's true that you can use skeleton keys instead. But there's always a risk you'll forget about that last one breaking, and then you'll need to backfarm in the misspelled cemetary. Not sure if it's a good idea to drop the reminder.
I did add a warning if you go below three available skeleton keys, have no lockpicks, and are in the daily dungeon.

Any chance of including The Sea in the list of optional quests?

It should show up in aftercore, after you spend a turn in the sea. No support for mom, though, sorry.
It won't in-run, though. I suppose I should change that, if you start it yourself?
A lot of quests aren't suggested in-run, because they don't contribute towards prism-breaking. But not everyone plays that way...

Darzil

Developer
I think that the conclusion of this is that it's a very good idea to spend an extra 3 combats with the cubeling to get the lockpicks, even if you have 9 skeleton keys.

Personally if I have 7+ keys and am doing 3 dungeons I don't run the extra turns with Cubeling unless I get down to one key without having completed the dungeons. Generally I'll be doing it during the War when I usually need a specific familiar.

digitrev

If you have the ornate dowsing rod equipped & are ultra-hydrated, you get 3% exploration per combat. Can this be reflected in the Guide?

Also, the Guide wants me to banish "drum pygmys". That should be "drunk pygmies".

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
If you have the ornate dowsing rod equipped & are ultra-hydrated, you get 3% exploration per combat. Can this be reflected in the Guide?

That would be hard without mafia knowing about the item. Adding it to mafia is hard since the itemId seems to not be available anywhere. Perhaps you can post that in this thread (mafia should be printing out a block about an unrecognized item every time you log in to a new session, you can just copy-paste that).

digitrev

That would be hard without mafia knowing about the item. Adding it to mafia is hard since the itemId seems to not be available anywhere. Perhaps you can post that in this thread (mafia should be printing out a block about an unrecognized item every time you log in to a new session, you can just copy-paste that).

Thanks. I didn't know where to grab the "unknown item" data from.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
That info is also recorded in your session log, so you can get it any time you want, even after you have closed KoLmafia.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Personally if I have 7+ keys and am doing 3 dungeons I don't run the extra turns with Cubeling unless I get down to one key without having completed the dungeons. Generally I'll be doing it during the War when I usually need a specific familiar.

I like doing daily dungeon day 1. I don't like doing Defiled Nook day 1.