Guide

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Didn't we already diagnose that there's a broken revision on sourcedorge, and you have to get past that revision (uninstall+reinstall works) to let updates work again?

Since every tool I have available claims I had 194 installed, that 194 was what I uninstalled and that 194 what what I (re)installed I'm not going to let this slide on a claim that some prior revision was so funky that it broke the updating process. I think something is not working as intended although I offer no suggestions as to whether that is KoLmafia, the SVN library we leverage or what.

xKiv

There should be no way that a script can be broken that should result in "svn update" failing to actually update it, so I don't know how you reached that conclusion.

Not the script (what's stored in the files). Repository (meta)data. A "svn update" should fail to update with an error, but if you are updating dozens of scripts, you might not notice.
But that was only problem when updating past that revision.
If everything says you are on the last revision, but uninstalling and reinstalling fixes something, then the first thing I would look for is local changes in work directory. Failed merges, mainly.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Not the script (what's stored in the files). Repository (meta)data. A "svn update" should fail to update with an error, but if you are updating dozens of scripts, you might not notice.
But that was only problem when updating past that revision.
If everything says you are on the last revision, but uninstalling and reinstalling fixes something, then the first thing I would look for is local changes in work directory. Failed merges, mainly.

I haven't made local changes to the script. I have svn updating during login disabled, and Guide doesn't auto-update itself like other scripts, so basically every time I do "svn update" it's specifically for this script, and I notice the output.

Bale

Minion
Not a huge thing, but for the "MacGuffin Quest" the words, "Bring along Reassembled Blackbird to speed up quest." should be in red.

digitrev

Minor request - also recognize the crappy camera type copies, on top of the 4-d camera and unfinished ice sculpture.

Bale

Minion
Ezandora: Some advice for how this script could handle the Palindome quest.

The "2 Love Me, Vol. 2" disappears from your inventory after visiting Mr. Alarm for the first time. (Not when it is read.) This means you shouldn't direct the user to make stunt nut stew (and link to the Distant Woods) if "2 Love Me, Vol. 2" is still in inventory.

digitrev

I have a question. I think I know the answer, but the wiki is not 100% clear. If the crappy camera fails to copy, is the camera lost or can you try again?

Camera is definitely lost.

Code:
[1850] The Sunken Party Yacht
<snip>
Round     0: digitrev wins initiative!
Round 1: digitrev uses the crappy camera!
Round     2: digitrev uses the pulled green taffy!
You acquire an item: envyfish     egg
Round 3: Tony squirms around in the Buddy Bjorn for a bit, and then     you find some meat. These events may or may not be connected.
<snip>

>     inv camera

4-d camera
crappy camera

>     refresh inv

Updating inventory...
Requests complete.

>     inv camera

4-d camera

guyy

This script is just insanely useful. It's like a tiny wiki that reads your mind. I think the only way I could like it more would be if it popped up automatically whenever I open the relay browser. There's probably a way to do that, actually...

Also, minor thing: Heavy Rains water +ML doesn't count for Oil Peak. The script seems to think otherwise.

Bale

Minion
Also, minor thing: Heavy Rains water +ML doesn't count for Oil Peak. The script seems to think otherwise.

Should probably use numeric_modifier("Monster Level") instead of monster_level_adjustment() since the former doesn't include ML for Heavy Rains water level.

Actually... Looking at the code... The code does a bizarre thing where Oil Peak calls a function called monster_level_adjustment_ignoring_plants() which uses monster_level_adjustment() except that it subtracts 30 ML if there is a ML increasing plant then adds 30ML if you planted a Rabid Dogwood. It would make so much more sense not to remove the ML for the plant if it is just going to add it back in.

There are other places which bizarrely use this function: The Rat Cellar (where you cannot use florist plants), The Defiled Cranny (where it adds +30 ML if you planted a Blustery Puffball), and Ed (where you cannot use florist plants). For all of those except for Oil Peak, it would be best to just use monster_level_adjustment() and not worry about plants.

guyy

I never use the in-browser chat anymore, so that frame was mostly wasting space anyway. But it's not completely useless... so I threw together something to put the date and announcements up in the top corner, with Guide under it:

game.ash
Code:
void main() {
   visit_url().replace_string('<frame name=chatpane src="chatlaunch.php"></frame>'
      , '<frameset id=announcements rows="150,*"><frame name=chatpane src="chatlaunch.php"></frame><frame name=guide src="relay_guide.ash"></frame></frameset>')
      .writeln();
}

chatlaunch.ash
Code:
void main() 
{
	buffer buff = visit_url();

matcher mat = create_matcher("(<p><center>.*?Today.*?)(?=<p><center>)",buff);
	if (find(mat))
		buff.replace_string(group(mat,1),"<p><center><b>"+gameday_to_string()+" -- "+now_to_string("MMMMMMMMMMMM dd")+"</b></center>");

mat = create_matcher("<center><a href=.mchat.php.>.*?Policies of Loathing</a>",buff);
	if (find(mat))
		buff.replace_string(group(mat,0),"");

buff.replace_string("<p><center><b>Announcements:</b></center>","");

write(buff);
}

Magus_Prime

Feature request: If all bang potions have been identified then hide the option Dungeons of Doom section.

I don't think I mentioned it before but this script is fantastic!

Ezandora

I'm getting the error: Bad item value: "white page" (relay_Guide.ash, line 7857)

Apologies. I tested against 16.3, but the account I used had white pages, so I didn't notice the compatibility error. Future testing will take that into account.

Not a huge thing, but for the "MacGuffin Quest" the words, "Bring along Reassembled Blackbird to speed up quest." should be in red.
Minor request - also recognize the crappy camera type copies, on top of the 4-d camera and unfinished ice sculpture.

Done. I think the oil peak is correct now. But, it has a bunch of weird complicated code I probably wrote incorrectly so double check!

Ezandora: Some advice for how this script could handle the Palindome quest.

The "2 Love Me, Vol. 2" disappears from your inventory after visiting Mr. Alarm for the first time. (Not when it is read.) This means you shouldn't direct the user to make stunt nut stew (and link to the Distant Woods) if "2 Love Me, Vol. 2" is still in inventory.

I think it disappears from your inventory at that point, but mafia's internal inventory system doesn't track it disappearing? Don't remember exactly.

Actually... Looking at the code... The code does a bizarre thing where Oil Peak calls a function called monster_level_adjustment_ignoring_plants() which uses monster_level_adjustment() except that it subtracts 30 ML if there is a ML increasing plant then adds 30ML if you planted a Rabid Dogwood. It would make so much more sense not to remove the ML for the plant if it is just going to add it back in.

monster_level_adjustment() includes plants planted in your current my_location(). If you adventure in the Spooky Forest with the War Lily planted, an MCD of 10, and no other modifiers, monster_level_adjustment() will return 40. But that wouldn't be accurate for another location, such as the oil peak. So, I cancel out the plants in the current location, then add in plants for a given location.

Heavy rains doesn't really work well with the system I wrote. I think some of the ML-based calculations will be incorrect? (ghuol swarm beeps, drunken rat king chance, maybe ninja snowman assassin damage)

Feature request: If all bang potions have been identified then hide the option Dungeons of Doom section.

My Dungeons of Doom code... if it works at all, I am generally surprised. I'll have to try an ascension without pulling/faxing a large box to see if it's sane. I think it'll disappear once you have all the potions?

Bale

Minion
Heavy rains doesn't really work well with the system I wrote. I think some of the ML-based calculations will be incorrect? (ghuol swarm beeps, drunken rat king chance, maybe ninja snowman assassin damage)

monster_level_adjustment() will give the correct number for ghoul swarm beeps and ninja snowman damage. Unfortunately drunken rat king chance and Oil Peak monsters are not influenced by the rain.

My Dungeons of Doom code... if it works at all, I am generally surprised. I'll have to try an ascension without pulling/faxing a large box to see if it's sane. I think it'll disappear once you have all the potions?

Your Dungeon of Doom only disappears only if you have identified all potions AND have one of each potion.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think it disappears from your inventory at that point, but mafia's internal inventory system doesn't track it disappearing?

Fixed in 14644, now that it has been reported. I guess this script can't take advantage of that until mafia's next point release though?