Guide

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
When I use clara's bell to skip The Hidden Apartment Building, Guide still suggests going there with wandering monsters. I think looking for ancient protector spirit in The Hidden Apartment Building's combat_queue would be the easiest thing to check.

Darzil

Developer
It shouldn't really appear in combat queue, as it is generated from a non-combat choice. Checking quest status should work though.

taltamir

I noticed a small issue in nemesis quest (on all classes). If you are on the stage of solving "a volcanic cave" maze or fighting your nemesis for the last time. And you click on the nemesis quest in the guide. then instead of bringing you to the right location (or just to the secret island) it goes to a "where am I?" broken page.

Darzil

Developer
When I use clara's bell to skip The Hidden Apartment Building, Guide still suggests going there with wandering monsters. I think looking for ancient protector spirit in The Hidden Apartment Building's combat_queue would be the easiest thing to check.
Affects all areas where delay is burned or ignored. Have seen it for Cobb's Knob, Haunted Gallery, Haunted Bedroom, Haunted Bathroom, Hidden Apartment Building, Hidden Office, Top Chamber, Middle Chamber, Ground Floor at least.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Affects all areas where delay is burned or ignored. Have seen it for Cobb's Knob, Haunted Gallery, Haunted Bedroom, Haunted Bathroom, Hidden Apartment Building, Hidden Office, Top Chamber, Middle Chamber, Ground Floor at least.

Some of those are areas where mafia does a poor job of tracking turns_spent, and I have long since given up on trying to fix that. Mostly from combats chaining to choices or vice versa. Though I thought turns_spent was always too high for those areas, so Guide would know that you've met the minimum at least.

Hidden Apartment Building and Hidden Office are the only two areas on that list where you can actually skip straight to the choice with clara's bell (because it's a repeating scheduled choice rather than a one-time choice using delay), so those are the only places where I would actually expect it to show up in Guide in practice...

re: mafia tracking of turns spent- I think that might have to do with tracking being affected by session change (and by extension- probably rollover).

For example-
I've been in aftercore for several days, farming barf mountain. I've spent over 300 turns there today.

> ash $location[barf].turns_spent returned a number over 400. This wrong for both the current day by 100~, and for this life by a much greater number.

I restarted mafia. Before spending any more adventures, I tried checking turns_spent again. This time It said 113.
Spent fives adventures in barf. Now it says 118. Restarting mafia sends it back to 113.

So it somehow fixated on the number 113 (though I probably spent thousands of turns there this life), and it resets it back down to that number every session change. I suspect that for most zones it simply resets to zero every session change (and rollover), making Guide think there's delay to burn there.

I'm am not sure if this is intended mafia behavior (pretty sure it isn't, since kol keeps track across rollovers for most these AFAIK) but a possible patch to this specific script is not suggesting to burn delay if the zone is complete as far as ascension is concerned. (Don't suggest to burn delay in boss bat chamber if that quest is complete etc.)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
re: mafia tracking of turns spent- I think that might have to do with tracking being affected by session change (and by extension- probably rollover).

For example-
I've been in aftercore for several days, farming barf mountain. I've spent over 300 turns there today.

> ash $location[barf].turns_spent returned a number over 400. This wrong for both the current day by 100~, and for this life by a much greater number.

I restarted mafia. Before spending any more adventures, I tried checking turns_spent again. This time It said 113.
Spent fives adventures in barf. Now it says 118. Restarting mafia sends it back to 113.

So it somehow fixated on the number 113 (though I probably spent thousands of turns there this life), and it resets it back down to that number every session change. I suspect that for most zones it simply resets to zero every session change (and rollover), making Guide think there's delay to burn there.

I'm am not sure if this is intended mafia behavior (pretty sure it isn't, since kol keeps track across rollovers for most these AFAIK) but a possible patch to this specific script is not suggesting to burn delay if the zone is complete as far as ascension is concerned. (Don't suggest to burn delay in boss bat chamber if that quest is complete etc.)
My first guess is that this is caused by r18428. I guess with multiple reports of weirdness I should take a look at that change.

Can guide display a big red warning to warn against adventuring in the hidden office if you have all 5 McClusky files and the binder clip, but not the complete file? (like the warning about the compass in the desert) I'm dumb on occasion.

taltamir

Can guide display a big red warning to warn against adventuring in the hidden office if you have all 5 McClusky files and the binder clip, but not the complete file? (like the warning about the compass in the desert) I'm dumb on occasion.
I thought mafia automatically uses the binder clip the moment you have all the files and the binder clip without any user input.
Must be something about my automation settings that is doing it... I looked through the settings but I can't quite tell what. Maybe after adventure / before adventure default scripts?

taltamir

BeSafeBeKind

Hi, Ezandora, thanks so much for your great work.

I've been doing some Ed runs, and I noticed that the guide recommends that I buy black paint from the black market, but I'm pretty sure Ed runs do not benefit from black paint for the level 11 quest. I have submitted a pull request on github with a change that the black paint suggestion won't show for Ed runs. I'm posting here in case you don't monitor github very much and for other forum members to correct me if I am wrong; also maybe other paths that I am unfamiliar with should be added.

taltamir

Suggestion: On Resources tab in the guide, show unspent fortune teller readings. (3 for clansmates to get prizes, and 1 for NPC to get a powerful 100 turn buff)

Timberwolf

That's intentional, because it only costs meat to save 1 turn every 30 turns. Doesn't matter if you have something worth banishing, it's at least a free runaway.

This might be less true for those of us that are in Ronin or HC(O)? Especially early in the run, I might not have the means to cast Bumper every 30 turns (for 50 fuel). On a normal day 1 (Lets say 180 turns), that amounts to 250 fuel, which is a lot of sodabread :)

Loving the Guide though. Great help for the returning player, and has definitely helped me shorten my runs.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This might be less true for those of us that are in Ronin or HC(O)? Especially early in the run, I might not have the means to cast Bumper every 30 turns (for 50 fuel). On a normal day 1 (Lets say 180 turns), that amounts to 250 fuel, which is a lot of sodabread :)

Luckily it's a reminder (to take advantage of as soon as you have the meat available) rather than something that automatically happens.

Timberwolf

Luckily it's a reminder (to take advantage of as soon as you have the meat available) rather than something that automatically happens.

I am aware, but it's one of the only reminders (other than fortune cookie and Oasis) that floats to the top like that. Still, not complaining just thought that it was out of the norm for Guide.

Also, for the Asdon noobs: The reminder could also remind me about soda bread ;)