Guide

Ezandora

What does it do?

Guide.ash is a relay script that will give advice on playing KOL. It details how to complete quests you're on, and what resources you have available.
During an ascension, it will inform you what you need to know to complete your ascension as quickly as possible. Faxing, the daily dungeon, acquiring a wand, where to go next.
The script runs side-by-side with KOL. Leave the window open, and it'll update as you go along.

Example UI:
Window picture.png

Quest advice:
Quest Example 1.png
Quest Example 2.png

Reminders:
Reminders.png

The script will inform you of various resources you have - free runaways, hipster fights, semi-rares, dailies, etc. - and ideas on what to use them on.
There is preliminary support for the florist friar and what to pull.

Aftercore:
Aftercore.png

How do I use it?

First, install it by running this command in KoLmafia's graphical CLI:

Code:
svn checkout [url]https://github.com/Ezandora/Guide/branches/Release/[/url]

Once it's installed, look in the relay browser. In the upper-right, there will be a "-run script-" menu.
Select Guide. There will be a link to open it in a new window - click it.
Then, leave the guide window open as you adventure. It'll update automatically.

To update the script itself (or any script), run this command in the graphical CLI:

Code:
svn update

Github: https://github.com/Ezandora/Guide
Contact me in-game: Ezandora (#1557284)

Bale

Minion
Ever since I first discovered KoLmafia, this is the script I have been waiting for.

Thank you.

Bale

Minion
I think I've got a bug report. I just got the SOCK and guide is telling me how to get through the Castle's Ground Floor, not the Basement as I expected.

Explanation of that how that can be a screenshot: Currently I'm using the following game.ash override:

PHP:
void main() {
	writeln('<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">\n<html>');
	writeln('<html><head><title>The Kingdom of Loathing</title><script language="Javascript" src="/basics.js"></script><link rel="stylesheet" href="/basics.css" /></head>');
	writeln('<frameset id=rootset cols="200,*,640">');
	writeln('  <frame name=charpane src="charpane.php"></frame>');
	writeln('  <frameset id=mainset rows="50,*">');
	writeln('    <frame name=menupane src="topmenu.php" scrolling=no></frame>');
	writeln('    <frame name=mainpane src="main.php"></frame>');
	writeln('  </frameset>');
	writeln('  <frame name=chatpane src="relay_guide.ash"></frame>');
	writeln('</frameset>');
	writeln('<script src="/onfocus.js"></script></html>');
}

Yeah, I like the script that much.

Ezandora

I think I've got a bug report. I just got the SOCK and guide is telling me how to get through the Castle's Ground Floor, not the Basement as I expected.

Sorry about that! I added in some preliminary support to try and fix that; run svn update. I'll look at it closer when I'm in-run.
Also, nice interface.

Bale

Minion
That fixed it. :)

Glad you like my interface. It's a shame I can only run chat in a mafia window while I'm doing that.

Bale

Minion
Well, my monitor is pretty big. I'll try to fit it my chatpane also. Gosh that's crowded. Will it actually fit a combat containing 3 florist friar plants along with manuel's information in my much reduced mainpane?

PHP:
void main() {
	writeln('<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">\n<html>');
	writeln('<html><head><title>The Kingdom of Loathing</title><script language="Javascript" src="/basics.js"></script><link rel="stylesheet" href="/basics.css" /></head>');
	writeln('<frameset id=rootset cols="200,*,620">');
	writeln('  <frame name=charpane src="charpane.php"></frame>');
	writeln('  <frameset id=mainset rows="50,*">');
	writeln('    <frame name=menupane src="topmenu.php" scrolling=no></frame>');
	writeln('    <frameset id=center cols="*,300">');
	writeln('       <frame name=mainpane src="main.php"></frame>');
	writeln('       <frame name=chatpane src="chatlaunch.php"></frame>');
	writeln('    </frameset>');
	writeln('  </frameset>');
	writeln('  <frame name=guide src="relay_guide.ash"></frame>');
	writeln('</frameset>');
	writeln('<script src="/onfocus.js"></script></html>');
}

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
1920x1080. It does the job. At times like this, I really appreciate the extra screen space. Thanks for the suggestion matt.

Razorsoup

1920x1080. It does the job. At times like this, I really appreciate the extra screen space. Thanks for the suggestion matt.

I'm a little bit jealous. My monitor is only 1680x1050. I need 300,000 more pixels.

@Ezandora: Slight potential bug. Guide is telling me to "Unlock mysterious island, Shore, 9 adventures" when I already have the mysterious island unlocked. It can be unlocked with a dingy dinghy, junk junk or skeletal skiff. I used the junk junk to unlock it this ascension so that may be why guide doesn't know it's already unlocked.

Ezandora

@Ezandora: Slight potential bug. Guide is telling me to "Unlock mysterious island, Shore, 9 adventures" when I already have the mysterious island unlocked. It can be unlocked with a dingy dinghy, junk junk or skeletal skiff. I used the junk junk to unlock it this ascension so that may be why guide doesn't know it's already unlocked.
Fixed, run "svn update".

Bale

Minion
Found an oversight, you don't list the lianas in the Massive Ziggurat until the player is ready to kill the boss.

It would be good to list the Ziggurat and it's lianas even if the player isn't ready to kill the boss. If the player is using KFH, they'd want to get all their antique machete use at the same time. For me, I just want the reminder that there are 3 more free charges for my grinder or medium.

matt.chugg

Perhaps someone might want to look at a responsive CSS layout, using @media tags, based on width, to create a more optimised layout when in a narrower column :)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I have two screens at 1920x1080 and I feel like I would benefit from more screen space. I'll have to ascend soon so I can try this script out properly (since I don't really care about wasting the aftercore resources it shows usually).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
//FIXME we could show that the MP/HP restore will be?
Use "modtrace rest" to see what all of the relevant values are that mafia tracks, and numeric_modifier( "base resting hp" ) and so on to retrieve those values.