Do I have to stop for semi-rares?

tmoi

I think this might sound like a semi-dumb question, but many times I do not care about semi-rares at all. I have looked tirelessly through mafia to find a setting to turn this off, but no success.

Am I missing something?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
This will affect you once per ascension. If you don't eat fortune cookies and you don't get semi-rares, the counters will never be made again, and you will only run into the first reminder on turn 70. You can also get rid of the counter as soon as it is made by clicking the number in the charpane.

The benefit to those that really don't want to miss semi-rares was considered worth it to add that inconvenience for those that don't care, and the inconvenience is minor enough that it isn't worth adding a setting for that. You could also go to Preferences -> Automation -> Post-Ascension script and put "counters clear" in that box (no quotes) to clear that initial counter without ever thinking about it.

tmoi

Thanks a lot. I really like that functionality, its just a pain when I'm only trying to clear warbears in an area where there are no semi-rares.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Don't eat fortune cookies and you never be nagged again after the counter fires - unless you stumble on a semirare somewhere.

Crowther

Thanks a lot. I really like that functionality, its just a pain when I'm only trying to clear warbears in an area where there are no semi-rares.
I'm also confused how it could be much of a pain. It's once per character if you're farming warbears. If there were semi-rares you might not need a warning.

tmoi

Ok, I thought I understood the recommendation, but apparently not. I like the semi-rare counter usually, but right now I am all out crimbo. I am farming the level 2 and 3 bears first thing until they get too tough and then I eat/drink/spleen myself full and set up mafia to knock out the rest of my adventures on level one.

Because I'm using Pantsgiving I get that one extra fullness, but without my telling it to Mafia is automatically eating a fortune cookie to give me a semi-rare where there is none.

I tried clicking on the little fortune cookie counter in the relay browser thinking that this turned it off, but that actually eats the fortune cookie. I also tried just manually adventuring until the counter goes away, but as soon as pantsgiving gives me the extra space mafia eats the fortune cookie.

What am I doing wrong here? I just want to be able to turn the fortune cookie thing off for a few days until Crimbo is over...

Winterbay

I don't think mafia woudl do that. However if you are using BBB as a betweenBattleScript that will eat a cookie for you if you have space and have eaten other things today unless you set the zlib-variable "auto_semirare" to "never".

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Because I'm using Pantsgiving I get that one extra fullness, but without my telling it to Mafia is automatically eating a fortune cookie to give me a semi-rare where there is none.

So your actual problem is that one of your scripts (likely listed in Preferences -> Automation) is doing something you didn't expect it to, and Winterbay pointed out one that is likely to be doing that.

Given that you had no idea why it was happening, I'm surprised this thread was about dealing with the counters rather than your fullness being wasted on crappy food (since you didn't want the benefit from that food).

Bale

Minion
I'm surprised this thread was about dealing with the counters rather than your fullness being wasted on crappy food.

I'm not. It is a common fallacy. Users often come into a forum already envisioning a specific solution so they ask how to do that instead of describing their problem. It happens here from time to time. My response when I notice is to give some version of the following advice:

tmoi, you obviously haven't had a great deal of luck or experience at tech support. I'd advise you when asking for help on a forum to state you entire problem. Often the experts will point out a problem that differs from the one you thought you were dealing with. Sometimes, merely the wording you choose will throw off people from understanding the problem if you chose phrases that differ from the accepted jargon so you should always describe things very exactly, with copy/paste output if available.

Crowther

Yeah, I never had a name for that either. But I have learned to ask, "Why do you think you want to do Y?"