Demon Name Fuction?

Trajolifer

This is just an inquiry, but is there any mechanism for the detection of Demon names (other than the ear trumpet that is) built into Mafia? If not a built in function, are they any suggestions for using Mafia to farm these names?

I'm in the middle of a lengthy trophy run (pudding, brownies, black-hole) and figured I might as well throw another one in there.

Your help and ideas are greatly appreciated!

|Trajolifer

jasonharper

Developer
[quote author=Trajolifer link=topic=1912.msg8976#msg8976 date=1222107376]I'm in the middle of a lengthy trophy run (pudding, brownies, black-hole)[/quote]
You realize that the pudding & brownies trophies don't have to be done in a single Ascension, right?

Anyway, Mafia automatically records demon names, either found via the adventures with the ear trumpet equipped, or manually summoned. Type demons in the CLI to see what it knows.

Trajolifer

I know they don't have to be in a single ascension, but I'm in a completionist mood right now, so I'm catching up on familiars, trophies, tattoos, etc...

Thanks for the CLI command, it's exactly what I was looking for. As there are only 7, I take it the trophy reward doesn't need distinct names.

Thank you again - so many hidden gems I haven't had a chance to explore completely. Kudos to those who contribute to this project and it's distribution!

|Trajolifer

zarqon

[quote author=lostcalpolydude link=topic=1912.msg8980#msg8980 date=1222119415]
Also, mafia should abort adventuring when you get a new demon name, I believe.[/quote]

I vote against. CLI-only scripters are always asking for ways around auto-stops, and there aren't any. For them, the fewer auto-stops the better. Since mafia records demons when they are discovered, an ASH script could easily add auto-stop functionality if it were needed.

But... what might be nice is the option of adding "demon name" as a condition for those zones.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think I was a bit unclear. I wasn't asking for something to be changed, I was saying that mafia currently does stop when you get a new demon name. Maybe you're asking for mafia to be changed to not stop? The fact that many people would want mafia to stop when it learns the demon name, and the fact that this causes mafia to stop 4 times per character, for the entire existence of the character (if you can write stuff in ash, you can restore the demon names that you wisely stored elsewhere), means that this is a good place to have auto-aborts.

zarqon

Okay, I guess people probably wouldn't be running around with the ear trumpet on unless they were demon name hunting. I'm cool with the auto-abort.

jtn2002

Greetings, sorry for reviving a dead thread, but is there a way to check "if I can summon _____" using demons then do so?

Theraze

> pref demon

demonName1 (user, now 'Kel-bar-foo', default )
demonName10 (user, now '', default )
demonName2 (user, now 'Ze'Oofoo', default )
demonName3 (user, now 'Fun-den-den', default )
demonName4 (user, now 'Waitbarbeel', default )
demonName5 (user, now 'Buul-ty-bar', default )
demonName6 (user, now 'Tatter', default Tatter)
demonName7 (user, now 'Ak'gyxoth', default Ak'gyxoth)
demonName8 (user, now 'Vugbobchuck', default )
demonName9 (user, now '', default )
demonSummoned (user, now 'true', default false)
if (get_property("demonSummoned") != true && get_property("demonName<whichever>") != "") <do whatever>

JLE

Okay, I guess people probably wouldn't be running around with the ear trumpet on unless they were demon name hunting. I'm cool with the auto-abort.

I notice that this behaviour now seems to have changed. Which was annoying - because normally the only reason you'd be in those zones wearing the ear trumpet at all IS to find the demon name, and want to get straight out afterwards.

You know how, thanks to a change in RNG seed, all one's demon names (and the randomly generated Winged Yeti names) changed a while back? Yes, the old ones kept on working, but I wanted to find out the new ones so as to switch to using those.

So I equipped the ear trumpet, went to the Bathroom for the demon there... and KOLMafia ran me out of adventures, I later discovered it had zooted past the demon name adventure three times without stopping.

Why was this behaviour changed?

And what do you now have to do if you WANT to make it stop at a demon name adventure because you are only farming in that zone specially to get the demon name, and want to leave as soon as you have found it, and not waste a single adventure more there?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Why was this behaviour changed?

It wasn't changed intentionally, which means that there was a bunch of wasted negativity in your post.

At first glance, I would expect it to stop still. If you had a goal set, it doesn't stop. It's possible KoL changed the whitespace in that encounter.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What behavior do you think changed?

As far as I know, KoLmafia has never paid attention to whether you had an ear trumpet equipped. It has noticed when you learned a new demon name - which happens, in many locations, iff you have the ear trumpet, but happens in various other places without that requirement.

When it recognizes a new demon name that it previously didn't know, it will decrement the "autostop" condition. So, if you put "autostop" into your goals, when it gets the name, it should decrement it and stop.

Did you put "autostop" into your goals? If not, you did not tell KoLmafia that you wanted to stop.

Note also that it recognizes "new" demon names. If you see a demon name and it is the same as you had already learned, that is not an "autostop".

What does the "demons" command tell you?
What does your session log tell you?

My guess:

There will be one line in your session log saying "Demon name: NAME".
You did not say "autostop" in your condition, so it did not stop adventuring.
Subsequent encounters that gave you the same name logged nothing.

Demon names stopped being a default autostop probably 8 years ago. My SVN-log-browsing-fu did not suffice to let me find the specific revision involved. Especially since Sourceforge gives me error pages when I want to see the files that went into such-and-such an old revision.