Psychose-a-Matic -- one-stop NPC psychiatric management

zarqon

Psychose-a-Matic

The psychoanalytic jars dropped by the Angry Jung Man add a lot of fun content to KoL. Each jar is a flavorful mini-quest with a sweet sword for a reward. It can be tedious, however, to manage everything -- the jars are in your inventory, the NPCs are all over the kingdom, the couch is in your campground, and all the quest information you might want to seek out is on the Wiki. When I was setting out to experience all the jar content for myself, I immediately realized a script which organized this information and put it all in one place would be a big click-reducing asset to completing the jars. Hence, this script.

What does it do?

Consider the following 1,000 words:

Essentially, when you load the page by selecting it from the relay menu, it provides a table of all possible jars (clicking the jar image will Wiki it), shows how many you have, and gives you a button to fill one of your empty jars with the given NPC's psychoses. If you lack an empty jar or the jar is otherwise unavailable, you will instead be given a link to buy the jar. Lastly, the major rewards from each jar are listed, dimmed out if you lack them, so you can see at a glance which jars you have left to complete (again, clicking the image will Wiki the item).

If you haven't used a jar yet today, a [use] link will be provided after the name of any jar you have. After using a jar, the links will disappear and the jar zone will appear above the table (as in the screenshot), and you can click it to adventure there just as you would when viewing it from the couch at your campsite.

Also: each time you load the page, a new quote about mental health (or the lack thereof) will appear beneath the page title. Some I just made up as good catchphrases for this script, some are from famous people, and some are from other people on this very forum! I dare you not to open the script to read them all! Bwahaha

Installation

To install, simply type the following into the CLI:
Code:
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/psychoseamatic/code/

This will install a single file in your relay directory: relay_Psychose-a-Matic.ash. This script also relies on ZLib and CLI Links, so it will automatically install those as well if you lack them.

I think you'll find that it's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world out there, comparable in many ways to a land where tacos evolved from cats. Enjoy!

bats bats bats bats abts bat bsta batasbtasbttsbatsbstatbstbatbastastbtstbsatbtbatsbastabtsbtatbattttttbbbbbaattttttsssssssssssss

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
This script makes me sad because I finished exploring all of the jars many lunes ago. It would have been great to use it back at the beginning of the year. :(

Also: each time you load the page, a new quote about mental health (or the lack thereof) will appear beneath the page title. Some I just made up as good catchphrases for this script, some are from famous people, and some are from other people on this very forum! I dare you not to open the script to read them all! Bwahaha

LoL! I lost that dare. Some good quotes in there.

Winterbay

Cool. Looking forward to using this when I finally get around to trying out the content (and possibly trying to get WHAM aware of the skeletons at Jick's place...).

zarqon

I realized after posting this that it uses this version of jQuery (which I seem to recall downloading to the relay folder myself and which BatMan RE also uses). However, a user might not necessarily have that file, so I added it to this project as well. I should edit the first post to reflect that, though.

@Winterbay, Veracity: I look forward to your using it, and hope it makes your experience more pleasant and less... jarring.

EdFox

Insanely awesome. (heh) I find myself running it over and over for the quotes, although my cackling may get me into trouble here at work...

A a couple minor suggestions for your consideration:

My Ginsu is currently in Hagnk's and shows greyed out. The swords are truly unique so I think it should show as achieved no matter where it happens to be currently stored.

While Truthsayer, Meatcleaver, and White Fang are truly random and Ginsu is so easy that tracking would be a bit silly (and there's already a script that will automate getting it to a huge extent), I wonder if there could be tracking for Byte and Procedural Generation. I left out Bloodbath but that's already tracked in the jar itself and by Bale's relay sidebar. I don't know if what level the player is in Jick's tower or which pixels have been achieved is tracked. If they are, then showing those in this script would be wonderful.

Why do I ask this? Because I'm stupid. I have four flickering pixels.... and I didn't think to record which ones they are!

Bale

Minion
I have four flickering pixels.... and I didn't think to record which ones they are!

Oh dear. I feel very, VERY sorry for you. If you were running mafia at the time you could probably get that info out of the session log. If that still seems daunting, more help can be offered such as how to text search multiple files.

EdFox

Oh dear. I feel very, VERY sorry for you. If you were running mafia at the time you could probably get that info out of the session log. If that still seems daunting, more help can be offered such as how to text search multiple files.

That's a good idea. Grep I can handle and I managed to locate the session file for the one time I've used a Crackpot jar, thankfully. Since it's easy enough to check the logs adding tracking for Byte and Procedural Generation likely isn't worth the effort. Maybe just add a line "It would be madness to not keep track of which flickering pixels you get!" to the Crackpot section. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Huh. So, apparently there are 8 choice adventures that give you option of collecting a flickering pixel once per account. That is definitely the kind of thing we should track. Make a Feature Request and I'll do it some time before I do the Mystic's Psychoses. :)

Darzil

Developer
Huh. So, apparently there are 8 choice adventures that give you option of collecting a flickering pixel once per account. That is definitely the kind of thing we should track. Make a Feature Request and I'll do it some time before I do the Mystic's Psychoses. :)

We can even be clever and if someone is at the non-combat with enough stat (or whatever) to pass the test, and the option doesn't appear, we'd be able to update they they've already got that flickering pixel.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Right.

This intrigues me. I'm working on it, including dynamic choice spoilers to tell you what you need and what you have for each choice.

zarqon

Nice! I was just adding similar spoilers myself to the Adventure Again box of BatMan RE. When mafia tracks flickering pixels acquired I can filter that information better (no need to keep telling someone what they need to acquire pixels when they've already gotten them).

@Ed: Hehehe, glad the quotes amused you, I spent far more time than I really should have hunting those down. I also agree that this script should include storage when it checks for rewards. r5.

EdFox

Make a Feature Request and I'll do it some time before I do the Mystic's Psychoses. :)

Your wish is my command. :)

@zarqon: Thanks for the update. Will it also count any swords hidden away in display cases? I can't move mine right now to check.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Looks like it does not check display cases. Only available_amount(i) + storage_amount(i)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
FR - Include display case just because as a completionist, if there is one already in the DC then I would rather use this to guide me towards something I do not have. Thank you.

zarqon

Right, available_amount() doesn't include your DC unless you have available pulls. Included the DC in r6.