Bug - Not A Bug Creating food/booze checks for existing items

When I want to create food/drinks, it allows me to do that through Item Manager-Usable-Food/Drinks interface, just as through Creatable-Cookable/Mixable interface. But first one have one important feature: I can see used ingredients, so I can plan my actions more accurately. It also much simpler for me to create my daily items right here, while I am taking breakfast.

Unfortunately, it have one strange side-effect in "Usable": I cannot queue, say, 5 peppermint patties and create it right away in most cases. Because Mafia always checks for existing items already. And if I have 5 patties already, it will not create anything. I must enqueue 10 patties in that case to create 5.

Can it be corrected, please, to absolute creating numbers, not relative ones. Please?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Like in your other report, you are trying to use this section incorrectly. If your plan is to eat 5 peppermint patties and you already have 5 peppermint patties, why should mafia create more of them?

Based on your multiple reports, it seems like you just don't like the Creatable interface, so you're trying to use another section for something it wasn't meant for. Maybe that could fit as a Feature request, somehow...

Theraze

Or just using the gCLI where you can type "create 5 peppermint patty" and have it make 5 and everything else doesn't really matter.

Like in your other report, you are trying to use this section incorrectly. If your plan is to eat 5 peppermint patties and you already have 5 peppermint patties, why should mafia create more of them?

Based on your multiple reports, it seems like you just don't like the Creatable interface, so you're trying to use another section for something it wasn't meant for. Maybe that could fit as a Feature request, somehow...
Well, I want to use one interface for everything. As it's simpler and faster. In certain boundaries, of course. For me, having "Create" button in interface is enough boundaries to try to create something with it. :) It's quite obvious that if I am creating something, it's not for eating it right now - it means that I need to store that item, not consume, not? For consume I definitely have another button! Otherwise - why to have this Create button at all? (Actually, if it wasn't Create button in Food/Drink interface, I hadn't reason to complain - but maybe had reason to ask for this feature :)

Or just using the gCLI where you can type "create 5 peppermint patty" and have it make 5 and everything else doesn't really matter.
It will work. Unfortunately, switching to Food interface to see what can I create, then switching to CLI and create it is not exactly productive behavior for me. But... oh, well, as you said it's not a bug, I can live with it, of course.

Theraze

The reason why it has the create button is so that you can create it for later. If you want to consume 4 Mae Wests at the end of the day but don't have a bartender and you don't want to need to remember to stop 8 turns early, you could create them now and leave them for later. The other benefit is that you can craft all your stuff at once and not need to worry about using up turns of Ode or Milk. Then when you're done, you could consume them all at once.

I think the issue is that, as lost said, you're using this lazily... you don't care about having 5 available for consumption, you want to craft 5 more but you're staying in the consumption tab and not changing to the crafting tab. The beauty of mafia is that it does what you tell it to, where you tell it... and things are often context sensitive. Want to craft something? Go to the crafting tab. Want to make sure something is ready for consumption? There's a tab for that. Want to blend it all into one super-tab where you never change between them ever again? Eh... pull the code and you can make that. Joys of open source. ;)

Bale

Minion
Well, I want to use one interface for everything. As it's simpler and faster.

There are multiple interfaces to fit different needs. Please choose the tool for the job. That's why my toolbox doesn't only have hammers even though it would be simpler and more fun to hammer everything.

roippi

Developer
The "create" button on the food manager tab is really "acquire", in accordance with behavior elsewhere in mafia. At this point people are probably sufficiently used to it that it's really not worth changing the name of the button.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Well, I want to use one interface for everything. As it's simpler and faster. In certain boundaries, of course. For me, having "Create" button in interface is enough boundaries to try to create something with it. :) It's quite obvious that if I am creating something, it's not for eating it right now - it means that I need to store that item, not consume, not? For consume I definitely have another button! Otherwise - why to have this Create button at all? (Actually, if it wasn't Create button in Food/Drink interface, I hadn't reason to complain - but maybe had reason to ask for this feature :)

That Create button must be part of the consumption queue interface that I have never used.