New Content - Implemented Yearbook Club Camera

Theraze

Edit by Moderator: This was moved from the New Challenge Path - KOLHS thread.

The most awkward (that I've run into) of the new items is the Yearbook Club Camera, item number 6678. It adds +stat modifiers as you complete the daily requested quest and turn it in to the yearbook club. The modifier description would need to be checked both at the start of the day as well as after choosing the Yearbook NC at the end of the school day, at least if it is successful...

Last edited by a moderator:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The most awkward (that I've run into) of the new items is the Yearbook Club Camera, item number 6678. It adds +stat modifiers as you complete the daily requested quest and turn it in to the yearbook club. The modifier description would need to be checked both at the start of the day as well as after choosing the Yearbook NC at the end of the school day, at least if it is successful...

Mafia could track upgrades to the camera and use that in the modifier expression (X - a, min 0, max 1, multiplied by each component once it's spaded).

Theraze

The camera appears currently like it's a fairly static +5 per modification, with there being 3 parts corresponding to the stats which continue to get upgraded. So it begins at +0 total stats, then +5, +10 (+5 to 2), +15, (+5 to all 3), +20 (+10 to 1, +5 to the others), etc. I've validated it up to 5 upgrades, which is more than the wiki had. Possible that it will branch out eventually, but... guessing it will continue rather than adding more bits for item drop or anything else.

Just got reminded of this though when mafia's maximizer chose a shiny ring over my +5 camera and went... eh? :)

Theraze

The camera, after providing +15 to all stats (9 days of assignments) then provides a +20 to max HP on completion 10.
Enchantment:
2:1 Macro Lens: +15 Muscle
20mm Wide Angle Lens: +15 Mysticality
800mm Telephoto Lens: +15 Moxie
Padded Grip: +20 Maximum HP

Theraze

I believe that the modifiers are implemented through the ascension and day tracking.

I do not believe that the current required monster or whether you have beaten it are currently tracked.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Visiting the Yearbook club for the first time:

If you wanna join the club, all you have to do is get a photo of a big creepy spider for us.

It is bolded several other times. I expect there are different message when you visit again without the photo, or with the photo, or what have you.

From the item description - even after you have taken the photo:

The Yearbook Club has asked you to photograph a big creepy spider.

Fighting the target monster with the camera equipped:

Your camera whirs and beeps as it takes a picture of a big creepy spider.

Should be easy enough to add tracking for this.

There are a bunch of different messages when photographing the monster. The ones currently listed on the wiki are:
Code:
You click a picture of a <monster>, then insist on a "smize" and a "booty tooch" before you take another one. 
You try to adjust the focus and mess with the shutter speed, but then you figure it'll be a picture of a <monster> no matter what, so you click away. 
You try to take a picture, realize you have the lens cap on, the flash off, and no film loaded, so you fix all that and then take a picture of a <monster>. 
You painstakingly adjust the focus on your camera, then as you take the picture, it re-adjusts it for you to get a blurry image of a <monster>. 
Your camera's shutter clicks as it manually transfers an image of a <monster> onto film using light-reactive chemicals. What ancient sorcery is this? 
You take a picture of a <monster>. Then you take the lens cap off and take it again. 
You set the shutter speed on the camera, but it figures it knows more about shutter speeds than you do, and helps you take a blurry picture of a <monster>. 
Your camera whirs and beeps as it takes a picture of a <monster>. 
You try to take a picture of a <monster>, replace the batteries, manually advance the film to the next image, then finally take a picture 
You say, "give me sexy, pouty, now angry! angry! now melancholy!" and snap several pictures of a <monster>.
"a <monster>" can also be "an <monster>" where appropriate.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 12915 adds a preference: _yearbookCameraTarget

This is set when you visit the yearbook club or when you look at the item description of your camera

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Just saw this today in the haiku dungeon, when my target was the amateur ninja:

Camera flashes
A monster caught on the film
Back to yearbook club.

Well done, KoL!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've had a lot of time to think about this, as I go for the Ansel Adams trophy.

I conclude that the "_yearbookCameraTarget" is wrong, since it is not correct to clear it at rollover. Instead, we need this:

yearbookCameraTarget - the monster you were last assigned when you visited the Yearbook club (which is also shown when you look at the item description of the camera)
yearbookCameraPending - true if you have a picture waiting to be turned in

When you visit the Yearbook club
- if it says "good job, you got it", clear yearbookCameraTarget and set yearbookCameraPending to false
- if it says "go get monster", set yearbookCameraTarget to monster

When you fight a monster:
- if you have haiku and you get the "Back to yearbook club" message, set yearbookCameraPending to true
- if you are not haiku, and there is a paragraph with camera.gif, that is either the 4-d camera or the Yearbook camera. If we can reject the former, set yearbookCameraPending to true

When you ascend:
- clear yearbookCameraTarget and set yearbookCameraPending to false

I'll get a log from the fight page tomorrow. I will have 5 days after that to figure out how to parse it correctly. :)

Bale

Minion
I'm glad you found a way to enjoy your enforced photo hunting. I dread having to do school for 40 turns every day, even in aftercore.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I did three KOLHS runs, committing to each clique in turn, to get that trophy - and then started a SC run to get the Yearbook camera. I haven't even finished the war yet - I'm getting a 1000/1000 Wossname, just for something to spend turns on - but it's OK. I am happy that I will never have to do KOLHS again after this run. :)

Speaking of which, the two camera setting worked perfectly today. I'd say this New Content is implemented.

Winterbay

My camera modifiers tended to be one off all the time in my run (unless I manually increased the setting by one). Is there any chance that those modifiers could get updated when the camera is looked at?

Theraze

That probably means that your ascension count is off by one... it would be good to have that get parsed as you look at your camera, but just bumping your camera ascensions should make it stay fixed for the future.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Camera tracking is supposed to be updated when you receive the camera, so an off-by-one error isn't the result of pre-tracking progress. I never checked on whether that code was accurate after I added it since the camera is mostly useless for me.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 13196 will update the yearbookCameraUpgrades setting when you look at the item description of the Yearbook Camera.