Feature - Rejected Add request sandwich to breakfast

It's no big deal, I have a custom deed to request, when it really belongs inside the breakfast, and it just sticks out like a sore* thumb.

Pretty please? It is based on the best skill in the game, y'know.

*originally misspelled as "sour". Noted for your amusement.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I thought about adding it once, but the sandwich isn't worth eating, is tradeable, and is really cheap in the mall, so I decided it wasn't worth taking the time to add it. Maybe someone else will feel differently.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I've been too busy building my collection of Notes from Clancy to get around to doing this.

Um... how would I test it?

Crowther

I thought about adding it once, but the sandwich isn't worth eating, is tradeable, and is really cheap in the mall, so I decided it wasn't worth taking the time to add it. Maybe someone else will feel differently.
Yeah. It's a joke skill. Even if you autosell the sandwich, you can't fund the MP.

Bale

Minion
I recommend rejecting this feature since it is a joke skill of no value. Anyone who actually finds it worth the mp should put it in their loginScript.

Pretty please? It is based on the best skill in the game, y'know.

And if it was nearly as good, I would completely agree with you. Use a loginScript.

Theraze

I'd see it as similar to the "Summon Crimbo Candy" option currently in breakfast. Useless, but there for people who really want to burn a bit more MP.

The only thing that would make me tempted to vote for rejection is that it can fail, unlike the currently-available spells. If the user has bad RNG, how many times should mafia try to recast before it just gives up?

Crowther

I'd see it as similar to the "Summon Crimbo Candy" option currently in breakfast. Useless, but there for people who really want to burn a bit more MP.
That's a nice source for sugar rush when hunting modern zombies.

The only thing that would make me tempted to vote for rejection is that it can fail, unlike the currently-available spells. If the user has bad RNG, how many times should mafia try to recast before it just gives up?
I don't like this part of it either. Looking through my logs, Request Sandwich has never taken more than four casts and rarely takes more than two. Don't ask me why I bothered scripting it, because I don't know.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
When this came up, maybe not as a FR but as a side discussion in some other thread, the fact that it would take a variable number of attempts was deemed sufficient enough to reject it.

As for the utility I have had runs where food and meat were so scarce that the requested sandwiches were consumed. I also seem to recall a Crimbo Event where trading in a display case full of Crimbo Candy had some tangible benefit.

As for me, my sandwiches are requested in a Login script.

Rinn

Developer
Code:
if (have_skill($skill[request sandwich]))
{
    int tries=0;
    while (!get_property("_requestSandwichSucceeded").to_boolean())
    {
        use_skill(1, $skill[request sandwich]);
        tries = tries + 1;
        if (tries > 10)
        {
            // give up
            set_property("_requestSandwichSucceeded", true);
            break;
        }
    }
}

Bale

Minion
It took me a minute to figure out why you wanted to set _requestSandwichSucceeded instead of adding a check for tries < 9 to the while loop. I'm not sure I approve of the approach since it adds incorrect data to mafia. It would be better to set_property"_sandwichTried", "true") and check it in the while loop since KoLmafia now removes all extra daily preferences at log in.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Code:
if (have_skill($skill[Request Sandwich])) {
   while ((my_mp() >= 5) && (get_property("_requestSandwichSucceeded") != "true")) {
      print("Requesting sandwich.");
      use_skill(1,$skill[Request Sandwich]);
   }
}

I'm an optimist and assume it will succeed eventually :)

Fluxxdog

I'm not an optimist. I only have it cast Request once. The next time it goes through, if it failed previously, try again. But I don't want to sit there failing repeatedly over and over. I'd ask that it not be part of breakfast.

Theraze

If it were added, it should be added as an optional "check the box" type thing along with the other summons.
The first question is whether or not it should be added as an automatic summon option, because it is a summon though one with a chance of failure.
The second question is, if this would be added, how many times should mafia try to recast before calling it a failure. Just try once? Try up to 4 times, since Crowther says that his logs don't have any times where it took more than that? Just keep trying and hope that the user didn't summon it outside mafia which would make it just keep trying until all the user's meat is gone, 5 mp at a time?

The answer to the first, for me, is... eh, maybe? Precedent says it should be there. It's a summon and we have the other joke skill Summon Crimbo Candy in there.
The answer to the second for me would be... not more than 5 times. Because the user can summon a sandwich in vanilla, burning all their MP and meat as punishment for not always using mafia is bad programming and press for us.

Crowther

Try up to 4 times, since Crowther says that his logs don't have any times where it took more than that? Just keep trying and hope that the user didn't summon it outside mafia which would make it just keep trying until all the user's meat is gone, 5 mp at a time?
If I see "Crowther says" in the comment justifying four times, I'll cry.

You can't cast it again after success, so it's just server hits. Or not even that? I'll admit I don't know how to easily tell if mafia even talks to the server on excess casts. At least it doesn't waste more MP.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The more I read about this, the more I think adding it to breakfast - with special checkbox on the options page, multiple castings, and so on - is a bad idea.

I could see (somebody) making a _setting to track whether it has been successfully cast, along with code in UseSkillRequest to detect when it is successfully cast and set the setting - and then a Daily Deed to try to cast it, which will grey out once it is (finally) successful.

It seems like a lot of work for something which is thoroughly useless.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
_requestSandwichSucceeded already exists. Mafia won't try to cast it if that is true, and I think will only try to cast it once if it is false.

I have also been convinced that it should not be a part of breakfast.

Bale

Minion
It's a summon and we have the other joke skill Summon Crimbo Candy in there.

Just for the record, Summon Crimbo Candy is not a joke. When it was first created, those extra stat points were very helpful for early entry to the Bedroom. It doesn't matter now since stat requirements were turned into suggestions, but back then it was a helpful skill. Even now, I still use the Crimbo Candy for bonus initiative in the Defiled Alcove

Darzil

Developer
Even now, I still use the Crimbo Candy for bonus initiative in the Defiled Alcove

Yup, I use it for this every run. In hardcore you are unlikely to cap modern zombie chance, and this is therefore useful, and much cheaper than candyblast candy.