First Things First -- a multipurpose pre-combat consult script

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'd rather see different lists of monsters for sheeting and olfacting. With some monsters (lobsterfrogmen, scary pirates) I wouldn't want to use olfaction at all, and others I may want to do both at once (so that when On the Trail runs out, I can use the copy and sniff it again, rather than wait for the monster of choice to show up again.)

aeslyn

What about summoning mayfly swarm? Is this something that I should try to put in the script, or just put in the ccs after?

tebee

I've come across one problem with the script, I'd added goth giants to the list to be olfacted but, of course, when we have a bounty hunt in the castle, the script may also try to olfact them as well as the raver giants we want to olfact - it depends on which we happen to encounter first.

Thinking about it, I've come up with this change for the handle_olfaction routine but haven't had a chance to test it yet. Anyone who knows the script better than me care to comment?

Code:
string handle_olfaction(monster m, string page) {
  if (have_skill($skill[transcendent olfaction]) && have_effect($effect[on the trail]) == 0 &&
    my_mp() >= mp_cost($skill[transcendent olfaction]) && olf contains m) {
   if ((!olf[m] && get_property("currentBountyItem") == "0") ||(olf[m] && get_property("currentBountyItem") > "0")) return page;
   return act(use_skill($skill[transcendent olfaction]));
  }
  return page;
}
}

tebee

It's the function handle_olfactionat line 88 in the script that I've changed, in fact the only line changed is line 91 - the one that starts "if (!olf[m]....", I just quoted a bit more so you could see the context.

So just fire up your favorite editor, open FirstThingsFirst.ash and copy and paste the line from my post above replacing the existing line.

I can't test it 100% until we get a day with a bounty hunt in the castle but I think it should work, but it's the first time I've ever delved into the workings of this script so no promises.

zarqon

@tebee: Great fix. I've added that in, with a small operator change. It ought to work just fine.

darius180

How relevant is this now, with the new changes to the "special" combat settings? I realize that it can still do some functions "special" cannot, but I've noticed some doublecasting of entangling noodles and fun stuff like that...

zarqon

Yes, some of the things it does are redundant now. For now, if you are using FTF, either disable pickpocketing and noodles in the combat settings, or comment out the lines in the script that handle noodles and stealing.

The new combat settings are accessible within ASH so I will be revising this to work seamlessly with the new combat settings. First I need to confirm the conditions necessary for auto-actions to happen, to decide what to remove from FTF. In some cases retaining ASH's flexibility may be desirable.

ironsting

/em waits patiently for the update to one of his staple scripts ever thankful for the work done by the tireless mass that is mafiasciptimus

zarqon

2.0 Updates!

• I added a few lines so that FTF should play nice with pickpocketing and Entangling Noodles "special" settings. This means no more double-casting Noodles. Yay! (I don't currently have a character with Noodles for testing, but I'm sure someone will let me know if there are problems.) They were simple fixes -- the harder fix is making it work with auto-Olfaction or putty sheets, which isn't yet done.
  • You are not "in the clear" if you are Strangulated. I got beaten up because SmartStasis kept using a turtle totem despite the fact that my HP was rapidly dwindling. No more.
  • Save a meat vortex in case you need one for the NS tower. Until some awesome feature comes along for telescope owners that tells you what items are needed (I would be a fan of a single setting "towerItems" containing a comma-delimited list of items known to be needed), FTF will no longer use up all your meat vortices against brigands, but will save one in case you need it for the tower.
  • Detect hobo monkey theft on any action for use if imported into another CCS. This will help FTF to play better with SmartStasis when used with a hobo monkey.

Enjoy!

Braska

I love this script, but I am encountering a wierd effect. For some reason, my moods do not activate anymore once I start the CCS. Any ideas? (Moods are still active, just not activating)

zarqon

2.2 Update/Warning

FTF will now use spooky putty on lobsterfrogmen if you have not completed that sidequest and you have puttifications yet available.

If you use OCW (1.5 or higher), it will automatically take advantage of this to drastically reduce your turncount for that sidequest. If you do the quest via the auto-adventure tab, you should set "1 barrel of gunpowder" (or even "1 spooky putty monster") as the condition, and then just use the putty monsters.

To fight a putty monster from the CLI, this should work:

use spooky putty monster; ash run_combat();

Further suggestions on monsters that are always advisable to puttify are welcome.

Last edited:

StormCrow42

A quick note, you only want to putty 4 lobsterfrogmen, since fighting the 4th putty copy will give you the fifth combat (assuming that you're actually killing them). Perhaps check how much gunpowder you have before you putty them? That would enable you to save the 5th putty usage for the nun puttying trick.

zarqon

Good catch. I was incorrectly thinking that would be handled by the player/container script. Added a check for number of barrels, but didn't bump version number.

StormCrow42

I'm not certain as to the validity of this technique, but another idea is to putty filthworms if you're on the last turn of the scent and don't have the next scent gland. In theory, that might save you from an extra cycle back getting scent glands.

zarqon

I could add that in, but perhaps only for guards. I'm not sure if it's worth it for drones. I would then also need to modify OCW to take advantage of this strategy. Depending on the order of things, that could add more turns than it saves by using up all of the puttifications before the lighthouse sidequest comes along.

I think I'll write the special handling into OCW (in the next next update). I've also added a few commented-out lines to provide that functionality in FTF.

Last edited:

NotJim

Request: Could an option be added, if a haiku katana is equipped, to cast Spring Raindrop Attack after noodling an opponent?

mredge73

I always use this script, it is great.
One request/question:
How/Where can I add rock/jam band fliers to be used on all monsters as long as I have them? I know this is not for everyone but I do not get the bathroom ready to do the man of bees, instead I use the fliers on the hippy/frat war side zones. I can get about 60% just using it through the junkyard quest and the rest doing a lucre hunt.

zarqon

@NotJim: That's easy enough to add. I'm not sure if it should be added to FTF though, because then no other katana skills could be used in the ensuing combat (unless dual-wielding them).

As always, I can be persuaded by user feedback. Anyone else have an idea/opinion about implementation of Spring Raindrop Attack in FTF?

@mredge: Thanks. To use flyers on ANY monster, you want to add something like:

Code:
item flyers = $item[none];
if (item_amount($item[rock band flyers]) > 0) flyers = $item[rock band flyers];
if (item_amount($item[jam band flyers]) > 0) flyers = $item[jam band flyers];
if (flyers != $item[none]) return act(throw_item(flyers));

toward the top of the special_item() function. Note that this will prevent any other special items from being used, such as meat vortices against brigands. It may also work without the "return", which would allow other special items to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.