visit_url outside of KOL

dawdawdo

I know there was a potential security exploit at one time involving visit_url(). I was wondering if anyone knows if it's possible to use visit_url() to visit a page outside of KOL? Thanks.

zarqon

I do it all the time. It enabled me to use version-checking on scripts, write a clan stashbot (a bot that replaces the clan stash with its inventory), as well as my Script Registry.

Just be aware that all query strings are passed as post and not get.

dawdawdo

Thanks Zargon. How do you get it to look outside of KOL though? For instance, to visit the rumpus room, I just use visit_url(clan_rumpus.php...). This doesn't seem to offer a way outside of the domain.

I'm actually looking to run a script similar to the one you posted, so if you have the code you use for that available, that would help me out greatly. Thanks again.

zarqon

[quote author=dawdawdo link=topic=1726.msg8183#msg8183 date=1211584469]Thanks Zargon.[/quote]

It's a Q, actually. :)

To look outside the domain, use the full URL, i.e.
PHP:
visit_url("[url]http://www.yourdomain.com/yourpage.html"[/url]);

You can d/l my registry script below, link in my sig. Furthermore, almost all of my scripts have version-checking (originally degrassi's idea), which also uses remote visit_url to check a particular thread on this forum.

What sort of script are you writing?

dawdawdo

Well, I was reluctant to say because it seems kinda taboo around here, but I'm writing a script to do some farming. In fact I've been using it for a while, but getting buffs had to be done manually. I want to visit the remote www.kingdomofbuffing.com site to grab the buffs. Thanks ZarQon. : ) I'll check out your script.

macman104

Writing a script to do farming isn't taboo, but scripting buffs like that is kinda not so cool. Especially since those buffs are free. That is really low and abusing the generosity of those running kingdomofbuffing. Use one of the buffbots and get a big shot of like 10,000 turns of the buffs you want.

dawdawdo

Yeah, that's what I mean. I still don't know why using scripts to access the buffs is any different from doing it manually, but I tested the function with google and it looks like it worked. I must've missed a quotation or something in my previous code. Thanks again.

zarqon

I've thought of doing that before too, but it felt like sending a robot to the North Pole to get my presents from Santa, without even a cookie. I don't think it's necessarily abusive though, unless you are requesting more buffs than you use. If Mr. Kinks wants to, he can easily stop mafia from accessing KoB since mafia clearly identifies itself. Hopefully, scripts will never abuse his service to the point where that is necessary.

If you do that, I'd recommend scripting in a donation to KoB too.