Best Between Battle Script Ever -- formerly AutoMCD

Theraze

I was more putting those as an initial goal, though without something like newlife.ash you're looking at having it still be potentially painful starting out. I was mostly just thinking that when you start the level 2 quest, it could start with the larva and move on from there...

Bale

Minion
There's a thought... Assume it is set for larva at the start. Say the character gets a larva, when you see the larva set it to get the tree-holed coin. When you get a tree-holed coin, set it for the map... When the character has a map, but no fertilizer, set it for fertilizer. When the character has fertilizer then you set it for a spooky sapling...

Theraze

Exactly... that's the sequencing I had in my post there. The question is, when do you want to grab the accordion and turtle totem, before or after unlocking the temple, and after you've finished everything that's standard-repeatable, do you want to skip adventures, or collect spices? After you hit end-loop, whether adventure-skip or spices, probably should switch to blood every 3 hearts, but not until then...

Bale

Minion
I'd hesitate to script choosing accordion or totem before the temple. Let the player decide if he wants those badly enough to stay in the zone longer than necessary. Honestly I think that the Spooky Forest revamp makes sewer-screw even worse than it used to be.

As for the rest, I think you should stay out of the forest as much as possible and ignore wooden stakes. The only reasons to be there after the temple is unlocked are spooky mushrooms and spices.

Theraze

Agreed... and torso awareness for Bad Moon. :)

But then, most people aren't nuts enough to do their third ascension as BM.

Bale

Minion
Really? I think doing BM early on is a great idea. You don't have many permanent skills anyway. Then you finish your BM loop and you've got a ton of skills that you didn't know you were missing.

Sounds Awesome!

Theraze

It's more that if you're likely to get depressed and give up, it'll happen as the black cat bats away your recovery items from the shadow for the 15th time. :D I took to just making 20 red pixel potions and expecting that most would get wasted. Eventually works though. 5-10 is just not enough.

Anyways, back on semi-topic... yeah, if we can get a solid suggested path for people who choose to keep adventuring in the forest, we should be able to rip a patch to BBB together... Larva, temple, then what? Accordion/totem/stakes and then... spices until they get bored and move on?

Bale

Minion
I can't imagine why anyone would ever get stakes and/or trade hearts rather than get another two spices. If you're there it is NOT for the stats. You should never go there for stats so vampire hearts are completely meaningless. There are always places that are better to visit for the turns that you'd be getting those stakes and trading hearts. And there's no reason to even consider bar skins unless you're in aftercore and there's this huge pile of bar skins in your store so you want to deal with them.

So if you've gotten the map, accordion and totem all that's left is spices.

Theraze

I merely mentioned the bar skins because you gain them naturally from fighting, and it's the same choice-adventure as buying the sapling. If it takes you a while to actually have that segment of the chain trigger, you may pull a few hundred extra from bar skins.

And true, we are talking about BEST Between Battle... I mostly included the stakes as potentially being the decent early weapon for HC people out there who are being unlucky. You can guarantee that the stakes will be a 25 weapon regardless of drop luck, which sometimes ends up being the best weapon I get until the knob bugle and elite polearm. But those people can always set themselves a goal and it'll collect that, then go back to using the BBB after.

Theraze

One possible issue with the new code... I notice that the fortune cookie check looks to see if you are exactly at your fullness max. If you're Bad Moon and use pride/gluttony, you can tweak your fullness max up and down on a day, and if you manage to get more fullness than max (gluttony for 17 max, eat, pride to drop it to 16) the current code will continue to try to eat a fortune cookie every round. The specific issue I'm seeing is the
Code:
if (my_fullness() == fullness_limit())
which should probably be
Code:
if (my_fullness() >= fullness_limit())

Another question... is the optimal first-blackberry-shoe for everyone galoshes, due to the free mining skill? Not sure... just know that given the choice, that's the one I'd go for first. However I'm looping onwards so my 'optimal' might not be the same as what others want, hence the question. :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Why do you assume that fullness_limit() doesn't take Pride and Gluttony into account? It certainly did on my last Bad Moon run - considering that I made it do so.

And blackberry galoshes are needed to help you learn the new mining skill, but once you've permed it, they are not automatically better than the other ones. Heck, I never bother getting ANY of the blackberry footwear; I'd rather not waste the adventure.

Theraze

No... I'm saying that if you overeat by gaining those skills on a specific day, you may end up with something that looks like this:
Code:
if (17 == 16) return true
if (!eatsilent(1,$item[fortune cookie])) return false;

Because if you fully eat first, then take the pride skill, your max fullness is LESS than your current fullness... something that, with the 2.1 BBB, will never be noticed.

zarqon

2.1 Update!

• Thoroughly revamped automatic turtle taming. It no longer uses goals, and is smart about valid taming windows (in other words, it won't swap equipment/familiars unless you're within your taming window (1-3 with the Garter, 3-10 without). Further, it uses the lastEncounter property to attempt to detect when you've gotten your turtle, so it can swap back to your original equipment/familiar as soon as possible. This is entirely untested and I'm unlikely to play a TT in the near future, so if you encounter any problems, please let me know so I can fix them as soon as possible.
  • Added familiar item farming. I've seen several requests for this, and a betweenBattleScript is the best place to do it. If bbb_famitems is true (default is false), BBB will try to farm all of your daily familiar items (at least, the ones that mafia tracks; such as gongs, absinthes, astral mushrooms, etc) by swapping your familiar. If you are using a familiar with undropped items, nothing happens, otherwise it will switch to a familiar with undropped items. Specifying a familiar in your is_100_run setting will override this setting.
  • Added smart cookie-eating. Discussion in the CounterChecker thread led to the conclusion that a betweenBattleScript would also be the best place to eat fortune cookies, to avoid wasting fullness points. So Bale and I have recently worked out some very nice script synergy between BBB and CounterChecker. They still work well independently, but they work better together. See the first post for a description of how to configure this.
  • Removed the Spooky Forest from the auto-choiceadv section. It may be possible to add back in later (I particularly liked the corpse-looting automation), but I don't think it hurts anything leaving it out.
  • Fixed an old issue in the White Forest. For some reason I thought a white picket fence was a tower item or something, but it's not a necessary run item. Now it will skip the fence unless it's a goal.

Enjoy!

@Theraze: good catch. Made the edit but didn't change the version number. People in BM may desire to re-download, otherwise I don't think it will be an issue.

Theraze

Something with turtle taming... if you're in a 100% run, it still uses the pheromones even though it won't break the 100% run. Gives logs like this:
Searching for "turtle pheromones"...
Purchasing turtle pheromones (1 @ 50)...
You acquire an item: turtle pheromones
You spent 50 Meat
Purchases complete.
Using 1 turtle pheromones...
You acquire an effect: Eau de Tortue (duration: 10 Adventures)
Finished using 1 turtle pheromones.
Preparing to tame a hedgeturtle...
You need a turtle familiar to hunt a hedgeturtle here.
And every round following until pheromones wear off, you get:
Preparing to tame a hedgeturtle...
You need a turtle familiar to hunt a hedgeturtle here.

Any chance of skipping trying to tame if the prerequisite familiar is missing, either due to not having a turtle familiar or being in a 100% run? Probably best, for that matter, to not report the failed hunt at all... though maybe under a high numbered verbosity.

Winterbay

This feels like odd behaviour:

Code:
Since you are not in a Mysticality sign, you may not visit the restaurant.
Searching     for "fortune cookie"...
Purchasing fortune cookie (1 @ 40)...
Purchasing     fortune cookie (1 @ 100)...
Purchasing fortune cookie (1 @ 100)...
Purchasing fortune cookie (1 @ 100)...
You acquire an item: fortune cookie
Purchases     complete.
Eating 1 fortune cookie...
You gain 1 Adventure
Lucky     numbers: 294, 231, 109
Lucky number 294 ignored - too large to be a     semirare.
Lucky number 231 ignored - too large to be a semirare.
Finished     eating 1 fortune cookie.

It only bought 1 cookie (from what I could see at my meat going down) and it seems to have only eaten one at least but the output confuses me...

This is with the standard "timely" setting for semirares.

zarqon

@Theraze: figured there must have been something I forgot. Just spun another update to fix those familiar issues. Ended up moving ensure_turtlefam() out to top level and making it take a reallydoit parameter, similar to ZLib's resist(). This should give you much better results that do not waste pheremones, and also don't complain so much.

Also, this was the first I'd heard of the change to the Black Forest choiceadv. That needed to be fixed, since choice 4 now maps to galoshes rather than skipping the adventure. I ended up making BBB choose galoshes if 1) they are a goal, or b) you have the map but lack the skill.

@Winterbay: that seems like ordinary lag to me.

Winterbay

@Winterbay: that seems like ordinary lag to me.

Possibly, it is a bit annoying that it bought the cookie for 100 meat though...

Anyway a real bug this time:
I've set the bbb_famitems to true and it works just fine until it gets to the Llama Lama which I don't have. Now between every combat it states "You don't have a Llama Lama for a familiar." and then continues with my green pixie (5 of 5 drops) instead of moving on to my rogue program which would be much better sionce I have one of those...

ETA: I got around this temporarily by setting the rogue program manually as my active familiar which worked find until he had gotten all his 5 drops (I have now no more familiars with drops) and it went back to complaining about the Llama Lama.

Last edited:

zarqon

Oh, that was fantastically stupid of me. It would have been good to include a have_familiar() check, eh?

Updated in first post without bumping version number.

Camber

One last thing with the familiar switching for farming, can you switch back to the familiar we started with after cycling through them all? Thanks!

Theraze

What would make sense for that one... is_90_run or something like that? :D Something that says, if nothing else is overriding it, use this familiar, but don't let it stop anything.