New Content - Implemented Manuel got some new tricks.

Erich

KoL now has phylum, element, and initiative as part of Manuel. It seems all the info is there regardless of how many factoids you have. I couldn't find where someone was asking to track init internally in mafia, but it seems like this is a solution.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia already tracks init internally, but the values came from the wiki so there are plenty missing and probably plenty that need fixing. This sounds like something best handled by a script.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You mean importing the initiative/phylum/element values from a well-populated Manuel into monsters.txt via a script?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I see that many monsters have "always gets the jump" or "never gets the jump" rather than numbers. What values should be used for those? Modern zombies have a legitimate initiative value of 300. Cunctatitis gives -1000 init. Maybe +/-10000 init?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I might say integer max & min, except if people want to actually code with the value (from the proxy field, I assume. We have one?) that would be unwieldy. +/-10000 would work.

Darzil

Developer
I have a reasonably well populated Manuel, am missing two Hellseals, three Pickle Factory Monsters, Scholar path boss and Dad. I should get Scholar path boss this weekend, though.

I won't be able to work on this til after the weekend, but can work on a script next week if no one comes forward in the meantime.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Manuel will have everything for me except Wu Tang and Dad in a few days. I should have a script within a few days if no one gets to it sooner.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I'll throw my hat in here, as I am working on an update to my manual tracking script, and may need to parse all the manuel data to update my data map to get it all working again. I'll post here if/when it is cmoplete.

Darzil

Developer
Am actually making reasonable progress. Have parsed my manuel, and got a spreadsheet, and got the most recent monsters.txt I could find from the latest changes. Now facing a few decision points.

Firstly, shall we use the Manuel Phylum names or the current ones ? ie. Manuel has dude, Mafia has humanoid. Manuel has humanoid, Mafia has demihuman. Manuel has construct, Mafia has object. Manuel has elf, Mafia has crimbo. Manuel has weird, Mafia has strange.

Secondly, do we just want an output of monsters.txt lines that need updating? Shouldn't be hard to do.

Theraze

I believe what happens generally when 'official canon' information is made available is that it replaces the current mafia info, but Veracity or one of the senior developers would need to be the person to make that call in this case.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It's possible a few scripts will break from changing phylum names (it needs to be done outside of monsters.txt too), but that's probably okay.

Cool12309

I say change phylum names (and change phylum name) everywhere in Mafia, then let scripts update on their own. Let's not live in the past, eh?

slyz

Developer
Should we remove all reference to the $phylum object, and use $category ? At least it would be a clean script-breaking change.

Theraze

If we do decide to change the $category[] names to match KoL, probably. One possibility for the translation would be a point release where $phylum[] uses the old references, and $category[] uses the new ones, and then immediately following that remove the $phylum references from the daily builds. That way the point-users would be able to transition their scripts over a month or two, and daily users who are paying attention to the forums would get their updated scripts as well.

Darzil

Developer
I'll not claim there are no errors, but hopefully this is an update for the monsters file with init and phylums corrected (other than Dad, Scholar boss and pickle factory monsters). I've included only those lines that have changed, which is most of them.

Attachments

• monster_init_phylum_update.txt
    103.3 KB · Views: 584

Bale

Minion
Personally I'd rather see what the community does about adapting the new nomenclature before we unilaterally decide to change humanoids to dudes and demihumans to humanoids.

roippi

Developer
I'm pretty strongly of the opinion that we should leave it $phylum.

I also think we should change our phyla to match KoL's nomenclature, as awkward as the humanoids thing is.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If there was no "official" terminology before, we use what we think is right - usually agreeing with the Wiki. But, if KoL actaully publishes its terms, we adapt. Look at Pastamancer "ghosts" or "entities" which are now "Pasta Guardians" or something.

If KoL is now officially publishing monster phyla for the first time, we should adapt - even though it will break scripts which use $phylum. Keep it $phylum.

In my opinion. Not that I am an active developer any more. Ask the other devs and the community. :)

Cool12309

Yes, change the names. Demihumans to Humanoids and Humanoids to Dudes is a tad weird, but so what? The suggestion earlier is a good one, one that allows script-makers and script-users alike time to change their phylum names. But I don't see why you don't want phylum changed to category. The word phylum was also created by the KoL users, and if we're changing to KoL terms, shouldn't we change to category?