New Content - Implemented Stat requirements on zones are now recommendations

Winterbay

Except that mafia still disallows adventuring in the areas.

Not really. If you go somewhere where you are too low levelled KoL shows you a page which says "Are you sure you want to go here, you are a bit under levelled. It is recommended you get X mainstat first" (or similar), with a tic-box to allow you to not show that again. And if autoadventuring Mafia will loop around saying "adventure 1 of n, You gain X substats" which probably should get reported as a bug.

Theraze

True. If, at some point, mafia actually tracks if people have selected to have KoL no longer limit their adventuring, at that point we can make stat requirements no longer matter. Until that point when it's tracked...

Bale

Minion
Or mafia could simply allow adventuring in those areas by clicking the button to temporarily allow it.

Perhaps someone should open a "New Content" thread to discuss what to do about this issue. Oh never mind, I'll just go copy these posts to a new thread myself.

Edit: Copied. Stuff from this point is original to this "New Content" thread.

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Or mafia could simply allow adventuring in those areas by clicking the button to temporarily allow it.

Double the server hits sounds less than desirable if the prompt is after every adventure (until you disable it).

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
My thoughts would be to abort when that message is seen and make people do stuff manually. Either they can pick a different zone, or they can adventure manually, or they can permanently disable the warning.

Bale

Minion
Double the server hits sounds less than desirable if the prompt is after every adventure (until you disable it).

It is not. KoL gives the prompt to you once and then you're good until you change locations. Thank god KoL didn't do that or it would be unbearable.

My thoughts would be to abort when that message is seen and make people do stuff manually. Either they can pick a different zone, or they can adventure manually, or they can permanently disable the warning.

You based this on the same misinformation that hee-3 believed?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
It isn't about server hits. It's a warning to keep people from going into an area they can't handle, unless they decide they don't want that warning.

slyz

Developer
You based this on the same misinformation that hee-3 believed?
I don't think he did.

Aborting when KoL throws a warning page at you is a reasonable behavior, in my opinion. And we don't even need to provide an option to ignore that warning: KoL does it for us.

Winterbay

Aborting with a message would definitely be better than what is happening now with potential endless loops claiming that you gain stats :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
11831 should abort when you run into this message. It might still incorrectly parse stat gains...

Ancient behavior (KoL) - just can't adventure there until stat is high enough.
Old behavior (KoL)- can adventure there, regardless of stat, provided you tell KoL you darn well want to.
Old behavior (mafia) - useless loop because mafia doesn't recognize new override stat option.
New/current behavior - mafia aborts if KoL asks about override, otherwise mafia continues.

Correct?

(Just trying to clarify for myself that this isn't really a change in behavior forced by mafia now aborting since In Ancient Times, you couldn't adventure there anyway).

Theraze

Sounds correct, noting that level and quest requirements still apply.

The question is, do we want to (or can mafia even) track when we've told KoL we want to adventure anyways?
This matters in terms of CanAdv, because while we can manually adventure in areas outside our realm of safety easily by clicking the override button, it will cause scripts to abort if you haven't. This is not desired behaviour. If it can't be tracked, I'll just make a new zlib variable for ignore statcheck and allow players to control their own fate. But having it intelligently use mafia's own knowledge is better, if it can track it naturally.

AlbinoRhino

The option for toggling the stat checks also appears on the KoL 'options' page, as well as the actual popup window that's displayed when adventuring. However, I've never been clear whether mafia actually reads a player's 'options' page to determine their settings.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
Mafia checks the options page when you log in, and keeps track of the settings that it needs to. I don't feel like adding that to mafia, and if I were maintaining one of those scripts I would tell people that they need to disable those warnings in KoL to avoid any issues (especially since I see now that the warnings can be re-enabled later if desired).

Theraze

Yeah, but you wouldn't be the person who already has people asking why you can't adventure in places when it says you could if you just got stench resistance or something else similar. :)

If mafia already reads that page and tracks options, and we can do that without an additional server hit, would seem to make sense to track this option as well.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
The message from mafia is "Your stats are too low for this location. Adventure manually to acknowledge or disable this warning." That should point most people in the right direction, right?

Theraze

And if that happens when you're running BCA, or TheSea, or some other automated adventuring thing that was supposed to run all your adventures for today? :(

What I want to make sure I avoid, being that I'm the one updating CanAdv, is CA returning a false results for automation. While you CAN manually disable the message, if you're using CanAdv, it's probably in a script. Which means aborting is bad, though aborting is definitely better than old mafia behaviour of looping server hits forever. But CanAdv should never suggest a zone which you can't automate adventuring in. Because then you CanNotAdv. Or CanMaybeAdv. Neither of which is the right script.