Bug - Fixed Ability to not display some consumables (specifically Bounty foods) in Item Manager

Greenen72

I'm not exactly sure if there's any more consumables than the bounty foods that would fall under this, but every time I go into the foods menu, I see the top food listed as the bounty food and booze. I would request that there be a way to stop these from being displayed (since I'm sure it's not just me that doesn't ever want to waste lucre on food, nor accidentally consume them as often as I do), but not displaying them by default would be pretty unfair to people who've got all the bounty items. Ticking no-create does the job, but I figure that I'm also not alone in that I want to be shown items that I can create (without using turns).

If it is agreed that this would be a good addition, a new checkbox probably wouldn't fit, so my guess is either repurposing an old checkbox or letting the junk/memento/etc lists stop the display of these items, or just popping up a note saying "are you sure you want to spend this currency on this item?" if on the list.

Or even just taking the simple way out by telling me a way I can not let mafia spend any coinmaster currencies at all, like Mr. As (as shown in the recent maximizer thread), or lucre

(I also assume that the consumables list doesn't currently care about the junk list/etc since there's no options to add them under the Item Manager)

Last edited:

Theraze

So turn off coinmasters. Since that's already available through the item acquisition page, and that was what you asked for.

Greenen72

k.png

Already true, so unless I'm doing something wrong, it's not working as intended

Attachments

• k.png
    k.png
    24.4 KB · Views: 61

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I avoid the problem by closeting lucre and not allowing closet items to be used when needed. I consider this somewhat of a transient feature since once you have a tome, hounddog, outfit and extras for the display case if that's how you roll then I am hard pressed to think of anything useful to do with lucre other than consume them.

Darzil

Developer
I consider this somewhat of a transient feature since once you have a tome, hounddog, outfit and extras for the display case if that's how you roll then I am hard pressed to think of anything useful to do with lucre other than consume them.

I think that's probably the way I'd approach it. Personally I just try to be careful. There are so many good foods I try not to use due to lucre cost, value, saving for events, etc that an exception list would have to be something non mafia for my way of thinking. Closeting seems the simplest, as it lets everyone make their own mind up. Wouldn't be hard to whip up a script that closets anything listed in a text file to avoid it appearing.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Wouldn't be hard to whip up a script that closets anything listed in a text file to avoid it appearing.

Veer - my login script pulls, and optionally uses, items in listed in a text file from my Display Case and my logout script returns them. (So they are likely to be there when Jicken Wings updates the rankings). Potentially trivial to closet stuff. Some of the closet everything scripts as PVP protection might also be easy. Finally might want to run as a between battle script to guarantee lucre is always closeted. Bottom line, though is this is a feature that can be made OBE with scripts. IMO.

Catch-22

Greenen72 mentioned that he has coin master item acquisition turned off.

Why should we list consumable items that are only available through coin master acquisition if that option is turned off?

roippi

Developer
Greenen72 mentioned that he has coin master item acquisition turned off.

Why should we list consumable items that are only available through coin master acquisition if that option is turned off?

We shouldn't, it's a bug.

Greenen72

Item Manager displays coinmaster consumables when coinmaster acquisition is disabled

Coinmaster is disabled, lucre and lunar isotope consumables are still listed in Item manager.

Catch-22

Thus creating more work for minions, which being minions, I'm sure they love doing. I meant for future reference.

Theraze

Thus creating more work for minions, which being minions, I'm sure they love doing. I meant for future reference.

I think in general they prefer merging an entry once rather than leave 2 open issues (rather than 1) for the developers to ponder or ignore, as the day strikes them. Less duplicate requests means happier developers...

Bale

Minion
Thus creating more work for minions, which being minions, I'm sure they love doing.

There is nothing I enjoy more than meaningless drudge work brought on by a members desire to create a second thread for one problem rather than post in the thread they already created for the same damn problem. That is an amazing feeling. I'm rather jealous that fronobulax beat me to this. It is the true meaning of a minion's existence.

Greenen72

I apologize for thinking that a bug required a 'bug' thread, instead of someone saying "this is a bug" and letting it die for a week

Theraze

If a minion or developer decides that it's a bug not a new feature being requested, they'll change the thread themselves. You don't need to make another thread unless they close the thread and tell you to make another. Which they will do if they want you to. :)

roippi

Developer
I apologize for thinking that a bug required a 'bug' thread, instead of someone saying "this is a bug" and letting it die for a week

I have three responses:

1) It didn't "die." We devs do not have infinite time and the underlying issue is both nontrivial and low-priority.
2) Since your new thread was explicitly asking for the exact same thing as your old thread, it is 100% incorrect to start a new thread. The proper thing to do would be to bump your old thread with a polite request to change the thread tag to bug, and we would gladly do so.
3) You continue to not get it and respond with sarcasm, so I am incentivized to continue ignoring your issue. You can feel free to submit a patch that fixes it, I will happily commit it.

Greenen72

I have three responses:

1) It didn't "die." We devs do not have infinite time and the underlying issue is both nontrivial and low-priority.
2) Since your new thread was explicitly asking for the exact same thing as your old thread, it is 100% incorrect to start a new thread. The proper thing to do would be to bump your old thread with a polite request to change the thread tag to bug, and we would gladly do so.
3) You continue to not get it and respond with sarcasm, so I am incentivized to continue ignoring your issue. You can feel free to submit a patch that fixes it, I will happily commit it.

I apologize for sounding like a sarcastic asshole, but in my experience with git trackers, any old report with errors in labeling or something like that tends to be ignored by anyone who has enough experience to deal with it, and this doubt is compounded by the fact that nobody did anything in the first place when it was mentioned that it was a bug. I also apologize for assuming that 8 days is a long time in relation to something I can't help but assume is trivial to fix, considering it was working as intended in the previous release.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
And just for the record, I don't really mind. We could have a lot of rules and expect people to know what they are, but honestly we have few enough posts here that I don't really mind if someone creates an extra thread. I get to merge and split threads fairly rarely so no big deal. And I suspect fronobulax felt the same way also when he merged them. After Catch-22 posted his sarcastic rejoinder I found it funny and replied in kind. We're just playing around. Following all the rules is only important when someone is either being an asshole or not following the rules is making too much work. Neither was true here. Don't sweat it.

(Though I do it more thread manipulation than fronobo and with less fanfare, such a when I split the FotM thread from the Snow Suit thread. Ugh, what an awful combination of New Content. I could have split the two FotM apart also, but it would have been more work and the Unconscious Collective was already implemented by then so it didn't matter.)

Last edited: