missingManuel.ash - Yet Another Manuel Script!

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I fought a blazing bat. It's still in the painting.

A pity, since I want to ascend and put in a lobsterfrogman. I'll probably just leave the bat, in case it becomes faxable again, so we can use it to put back into the fax network.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I've been playing with something of my own and keep finding that this does it better. What I do find is I would like more annotation on the output. For locations, I have added a string that tells me whether the area is open or closed according to canAdv. For monsters I have appended the appearance rate. And I have disabled the Full List prompt. If you are interested let me know.

Terion

Noticed that Jeff the Fancy Skeleton, Daisy the Unclean, Pecos Dave, Snake-Eyes Glenn, and Former Sheriff Dan Driscoll are in the Unsorted category, not in the Investigating a Plaintive Telegram category where you find the normal mobs and the other 4 bosses (Pharaoh Amoon-Ra Cowtep, unusual construct, Clara, and Granny Hackleton.)

Also, ghost (spelunky) is in Unsorted; it can probably go in Misc. Spelunking with the shopkeeper.

Aramada

I ran this script today, and pretty much every single monster came back with an error message: "Manuel says that 'Zombie Clown' (302) has unrecognized image", Manuel says that 'yakuza guard' (1311) has unrecognized image '', Manuel says that 'Tin of Submardines' (1855) has unrecognized image ", etc, etc, etc.

I presume this has something to do with TPTB moving things to the Cloud?

~Aramada

Erich

I ran this script today, and pretty much every single monster came back with an error message: "Manuel says that 'Zombie Clown' (302) has unrecognized image", Manuel says that 'yakuza guard' (1311) has unrecognized image '', Manuel says that 'Tin of Submardines' (1855) has unrecognized image ", etc, etc, etc.

I presume this has something to do with TPTB moving things to the Cloud?

~Aramada

Yup. Try updating to a newer Mafia build. I'm using r16848 and I stopped getting that message.

Aramada

Yup. Try updating to a newer Mafia build. I'm using r16848 and I stopped getting that message.

DAMN IT! I know better than to post before I update my Mafia build. Thanks Erich, for letting me know all will be magically fixed when I do!

(Also, Turing, may I just say once again that this is one of the best scripts EVER? Cool.)

~Aramada

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Now that I added "NOMANUEL" to the monster attributes, you can get rid of essentially all of blocked_monsters. I did this:

Code:
since r17378;
static boolean [monster] blocked_monsters = $monsters[ blazing bat ];
boolean [monster] get_all_monsters()
{
    boolean [monster] all_monsters = all_monsters_with_id();

// Remove monsters known not to be in manuel
    foreach m in all_monsters {
	if ( m.attributes.index_of( "NOMANUEL" ) != -1 ||
	     blocked_monsters contains m ) {
	    remove all_monsters[ m ];
	}
    }

return all_monsters;
}
Note that I left the blazing bat in blocked_monsters because it DOES have factoids - I have them - but it is not copyable, so nobody else can get them unless/until KoL admins make it copyable. So, unless you block it, people will be teased with a monster they cannot get.

I attach the script with these changes.

Attachments

• missingManuel.ash
    16.4 KB · Views: 129

Bale

Minion
Hey, lost. Can you talk to TPTB about making the blazing bat copyable? It has factoids after all. It's a shame that Veracity cannot share it with the rest of the world due to that weird restriction.

Bale

Minion
What's their reason? Is there a negative to making it copy-able? Or do they just not care? I figure if they wrote the factoids they should want people to see their work.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Yeah. I sent Jick a very polite message once a month for six months after having done that for CDM for 3 or 4 months. Never heard a word from either. I no longer write to KoL admins directly. No point.

As it turns out, I got tired of having a blazing bat in my Chateau painting. I now have an Eldritch tentacle. Just because it is more interesting to look at. :)

If they do make the dozen or so monsters that Riff added factoids to copyable, we'll just have to get them through the Deck - although Faustbot going dead makes it harder to share. Makes me regret giving metool a dozen Fax machines. I should have kept them and made my own "monster holding" clans.

Bale

Minion
I figured that by now you'd be tired of not being able to use your Chateau, but the Rain-Fax option will still exist for you if nobody gets it from the Deck.

darkbob9

I'm getting this error with the script as of a few days ago (I'm on the current version of mafia and the missing manuel script):

Bad monster value: "Mr. Skullhead's Butt" (missingManuel.ash, line 62)

darkbob9

Try replacing that with "Mr Skullhead's butt"

Now I get:

Bad monster value: "extra_monsters["Vanya's Castle Foyer"" (missingManuel.ash, line 81)

I don't know enough about this script to easily fix things like this, but I'm trying to learn...