Feature Copyable proxy record for monsters

Catch-22

This patch adds a proxy record for monsters indicating if they're copyable or not.

ie.
> ash $monster[Chester].copyable

Returned: false

> ash $monster[warwelf].copyable

Returned: true

The spading data may be incomplete, by default we assume new monsters are copyable. Boss monsters are not copyable, so we do not need to specify NOCOPY in monsters.txt if we are already specifying BOSS.

Versioning for monsters.txt remains the same as the format is unchanged (it's still parsed the same way as before).

Attachments

• copyable.patch
    52 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

darkbob9

I'm guessing that this patch was posted way too long ago to actually be applied to the current source. Is there any
way we could get this included somehow? I have a script idea that would benefit from knowing which monsters
in a given phylum are copyable (using the deck of every card to pull the most likely phylum cards for hitting a few
remaining factoids).

Darzil

Developer
Bear in mind that deck of every card will only pull monsters with factoids, and as per last radio show that will depend on who wrote the factoids, and whether they did so for the obsolete monsters. Well, unless someone writes more . . .

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Aside from terminology - you don't add a "copyable proxy record for monsters", you add a "field" named "copyable" to the " $monster proxy record" - this seems like a reasonable idea. The changes to MonsterDatabase, MonsterData, and ProxyRecordValue are completely trivial. The big job - which would require re-doing by hand, rather than simply merging in the patch - is to monsters.txt.

Verifying the ones he added NOCOPY to, adding that flags to other monsters that either didn't exist or were missed, and making sure we add the flag appropriately for future monsters ... it's a little project.

For somebody other than me. ;)

Regarding factoids, I'm hoping that Riff will finish up the factoids for obsolete monsters that were skipped in the past because of laziness.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well, although this might still be useful, just because a monster is not copyable doesn't mean it has no factoids. War heroes, wandering bees, others all have a full set of factoids.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
So, a fairly easy first step toward labeling "noputty" would be (for someone with a fairly complete Manuel) to ascend into Heavy Rains and look at the monsters that appear in Manuel but not in the Rain Man dropdown. I believe there is now parity between these two (although there evidently was not in the past --- I have a session log from February or so wherein I rainfaxed a tikiman and tried to use a portable photocopier on it but did not get a photocopied monster).

Monsters off the top of my head that have neither factoids nor can be copied: The Whole Kingdom (probably due to an inability to use items against it), wild seahorse. The other monsters that I can think of that block item use are for the most part bosses.

Darzil

Developer
I'll be dropping into Rain Man at some point, as there have been a few faxed monsters where I didn't get the last factoid before using up all my copies, and it seems like the fastest way to finish them. No promises on when, though.