Monster Manuel checker 2

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Monster Manuel checker 2
VERSION dead
1209 monster entries

NOTE: this script is no longer being maintained. I recommend missingManuel.ash

This is a massive overhaul of my monmancheck.ash monster manuel checker. It does a number of things better, and tries to overcome some of the issues associated with screwy monster entries - those with multiple types of the same name that are different, or those with dynamic images, or strange names, or inconsistant capitalization. It should handle all entries correctly, and if it does not, then it can in the future with a slight update to the data file.

The key to this whole proces is the data map. This has entries of:
Code:
mID  Monster_Name  image.gif  attack  defense  hitpoints  number

The mmcheck2.ash script uses this to distinguish between the similar but different monster types. I have culled this data from the wiki and from my own manuel, but there are still some entries that are questionable or missing. It would be great help if anyone who notices any monster not working properly woudl post the required data to fill in the map.

The script will create a customized data file "player_questmandata.txt" into your /data folder that will include a last column that is the count of the # of factoids you have collected for each monster. I would recommend you drop this into Excel to sort and review the list. There are currently over 1000 monsters listed, and it is ugly as a tab-delimited text file.

Things to do for the future:
* add notes / locations for each monster [done]
* fix errors and missing data [done]
* create a nicer format for the output [done]

v2.0: initial release of improved checker, monmancheck2.ash
v2.01: update data file, add additional monster ID #, add char name to output file, shorten to mmcheck2.ash
v2.02: more data file updates to 121026 (thanks charred)
v2.03: one more data file fix to 121027
v2.04: more data file updates to 121101
v2.05: more data file updates to 121107
v2.06: more data file updates 121114, add french guard turtle, change from ints to strings for "?" data, added mortos and pickle factory monsters (wrong, but worth a placeholder)
v2.07: more data file updates 121126, add locations, check for unique gremlins and constructs, clean up old code
v2.08: more data updates, eliminate data file, add Mother Slime correction, improve feedback messages, add vers string
v2.09: add Crimbokutown animelfs, fix (shadow opponent) tracking
v2.10: add manual quest page check, add jar of psychosis monsters (thanks RNGHeHateMe)
v2.11: add GIPDP Dungeon monsters (thanks charred)
v2.12: improve some location details, Add AoJ & new Giant's Castle monsters (thanks again charred)
v2.13: Fix fixed CARNIVORE and lonely construct, add new sea monsters (charred strikes again)
v2.14: Add more sea monsters (charred) and spectral pickle factory (yendor)
v2.15: fix the mer-kin monitor and punisher (charred's fault)
v2.16: Add monsters from Caliginous Abyss
v3.00: Update for new Manuel facts (phylum, element, init) and Mer-kin temple monsters
v3.01: Fix angry piñata, add swamp monsters
v3.02: Fix for server side Manuel questlog changes
v3.03: Add Dreadsylvania monsters
v3.04: Print missing monsters option, fix/add revamp monsters
v3.05: Add Old landfill monsters
v3.06: Add monsters for Halloween and discotheque
v3.07: Add AT & TT & PM & SA revamp monsters

-ckb

Attachments

• mmcheck2.ash
    140.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

ckb

Minion
Staff member
Data file updates:
Updated datafile to include duplicates (protector spirit, animated nightstand, gremlins), added BRICKO image names and bugbear capitalization (thanks charred). Also Ninja snowman.
Also, WTF with name capitalization? "ninja snowman assassin" but "Ninja Snowman Janitor" Why are Janitors so special?
Added an additional entry for an internal monster ID # to help handle duplicates
121024 TOTAL = 936

Also - I seem to be missing something, because my script gives me 49/48/731 and Kol gives me 49/48/730. I have searched but cannot find the missing monster. Bonus points to anyone who can.

To help find those eliusive missing monsters, and because my Manuel is not 100% full, I have created a debug script that will dump the HTML of your manuel pages to text data file. If your counts are off (like charred), run this script and post the data file (playername_mm2debug.txt) here.
Thanks.

Uploaded 121027 data with 946 entries. Getting better, but still some are missing and/or reporting wrong. I will keep searching and filling my Manuel.

Attachments

• mm2debug.ash
    1.5 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

charred

works awesome! thanks so much. i love being able to sort in excel. im very happy with this format.

in the data file, some capitalization needs to be fixed:
angry cavebugbear
ferocious bugbear

image names needed:
BRICKO cathedral: brickocathedral.gif
BRICKO gargantuchicken: brickogchicken.gif

not sure what it means because of some of the duplicate monsters but:
You have casually researched 49 creatures.
You have thoroughly researched 19 creatures.
You have exhaustively researched 753 creatures

excel shows 45/17/732

Last edited:

Crowther

I like having a mappable file, thanks. I should be able to rewrite my tools to piggyback off this script, which will save me lots of effort. I'm already sick of tracking down strange little oddities.

The script ran without errors, but my data file came up empty. I've no time to debug tonight, sorry.

Two suggestions. The data file is character specific, but doesn't contain a character name, that will be a problem for me. I've no idea how many others. Also, the name is kinda long. What about mmcheck2? I'll just link it, but I wanted to make these suggestions before people start relying on the current namings.

charred

mine came up blank the first time i ran it because i didnt have the txt file in my data dir, i had it in scripts with the ash

charred

tried the new version and got:

46/19/747

You have casually researched 50 creatures.
You have thoroughly researched 21 creatures.
You have exhaustively researched 755 creatures.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
tried the new version and got:

46/19/747

You have casually researched 50 creatures.
You have thoroughly researched 21 creatures.
You have exhaustively researched 755 creatures.

Hmm... so something is amiss. I'd like to think that KOL is counting wrong, but I fear instead that I am missing some monsters in the data file. I'll keep hunting and digging. Let me know if you find them.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I have identified a few more missing monsters, but I do not trust the wiki. Can someone who has these post the data here for:

Wu Tang the Betrayer
little blob of gray goo
largish blob of gray goo
enormous blob of gray goo

(or if you have these monsters, you can just run the debug script and post the data file and I can grab the necessary bits).

Thanks.

livercat

My MM entry for Wu Tang the Betrayer shows:
Attack Power (approximate) 200
Defense (approximate) 89999
Hit Points (approximate) 500

charred

atk/def/hp

little blob of gray goo
grayblob1.gif
36/40/45

largish blob of gray goo
grayblob2.gif
98/105/110

enormous blob of gray goo
grayblob3.gif
230/240/250

Yendor

There are two entries for the guard turtle, with identical stats, but one has the frenchturtle.gif image, and the other randomly picks from the other five.
The first form of Lumpy has the image 4_1.gif, not sauceblob.gif.
The script seems unable to distinguish between the two gremlin forms, so it thinks I have three factoids for all of them, when I only have two for two of the quest versions.

Last edited:

charred

the only way to tell the difference between identical entries (name & image) like the gremlins is to compare the first factoid for each. i think bcc is doing that for his snapshot script, but i see a lot more bad tracking in that than i do with this.

ckb

Minion
Staff member
I have been looking at the gremlins, and I think I can use the factoids to distinguish them. I will probably label one of them with "Quest" to distinguish them... but how do I know which one is the entry for the Quest gremlin, and which one is the fake gremlin? I have 3 factoids for all. Anyone know which one is which?

Unless someone can comfirm for sure, I am just going to assume the 2nd one is the Quest version.

Last edited:

charred

if you go to the manuel wiki pages and hover over the image of each of the gremlins, youll see which is linked to a regular one, and which is linked to the quest one. thatll give you which factoids are for which. im not 100% sure as i didnt edit them in and already have all their factoids

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Quest Gremlins:

Batwinged Gremlin
Factoid 1 = "Batwinged gremlins are sometimes attacked by other tiny gremlins who sit on their wings and try to sabotage their flight."

Erudite Gremlin
Factoid 1 = "The erudite gremlin has an I.Q. of 210, but the test he took was gremlin-biased."

Spider Gremlin
Factoid 1 = "The spider DNA in the gremlin is from a Minnesotan Barking Spider. Trust me, the bite is worse."

Vegetable Gremlin
Factoid 1 = "Man, look at the abs on that gremlin! ...or wait, is that a cabbage? I'm confused."