Downstairs manor status

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
How are you harmed if it tells you the gallery has not been unlocked and you don't intend to unlock it? I don't understand how extra information is ever undesirable.

Theraze

Failure is sad. :(

I'm a fan of info, but scary red Xs tend to make me want to make them go away. Too many installation readiness screens. :)

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
But if speed ascending, you might not want the continual reminder that an area you don't care about isn't available.

I think this functions very well as a relay script under the control of its users rather than built into mafia itself.

I don't see the version of the script that I am running as being anything close to a "continual reminder" that has the potential to annoy. Perhaps you were commenting upon an imagined implementation in mafia?

If something like this were added to mafia I would want it to be merely decoration in the relay browser and thus controlled by the blatant spoiler preference. However I am also quite content with the existing implementation as a script where interested parties can opt-in if they want the feature.

Winterbay

The "enhanced" script contains some more graphical changes which may or may not be more annoying for people of an irritable mind :)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
If something like this were added to mafia I would want it to be merely decoration in the relay browser and thus controlled by the blatant spoiler preference.
Is it spoiling anything? I suppose if you had never played KoL before, it would teach you that there are three areas you can unlock. Such a new player would not be using KoLmafia, though.

Theraze

I would almost consider adding this to mafia, but the gallery status being shown when I'm not a muscle class kind of bugs me. It could be hidden when I'm not a muscle class, but then I might want to open it anyway for a bugbear run. But then I might be using a fax and copies to skip the gallery. There's no way I want to figure out the "best" way to push it out to everyone.

I was merely attempting to agree with lost regarding inclusion in base-mafia as opposed to being an easily modifiable relay script...

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
But if speed ascending, you might not want the continual reminder that an area you don't care about isn't available.
What does telling you that you have not opened the gallery have to do with "speed ascending"?

I was merely attempting to agree with lost regarding inclusion in base-mafia as opposed to being an easily modifiable relay script...
lost said that it "bugs him" to be told about it when he doesn't plan to open it. Apparently, it also "bugs" you.

Why? (For either of you.)

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
In that context, the information is useless to me. And since it's a "you still need to do this" indicator and I will never actually do it, it seems even more annoying. And that's with a topmenu override that mostly lets me jump directly to the section of the manor I care about, so I don't even see it very often.

I didn't initially notice it because I was chaining zombie (muscle) runs, where it is relevant.

Theraze

Exactly... similar to how the BBB script actually makes it nearly impossible to script unlocking the Gallery if you aren't in a run where it wants to unlock, seeing a notification every time I visit the manor and have no plans to unlock it... Eh.

Would it irk me to see it? Yep. Would I get over it? Yep. Might that be by using another relay to remove it? Maybe. :)

Winterbay

Dunno if someone cares, but here is my final version. I added a couple of interesting enhancements, like adding ballroom status for a full manor readout in a single place. I even found a way to satisfy my desire for centered text while still keeping it left aligned.

Turns out this version of the script completely fails before spookyraven is opened (i.e when going to the pantry to open it). Any idea what to change?
Code:
[COLOR=red]Index 7 out of bounds (manor.ash, line 64)
[/COLOR]

Edit: It may actually be that it is by clicking on the "spookyraven" link in the compact menu dropdown before actually opening spookyraven. Thus complete user error (or at least wrong expectations).

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
That wouldn't be hard to fix by checking length(source) > 0 but I just don't think it really matters. Stop banging your head against that wall!

Though I admit I would probably fix it anyway if I had created a thread for that script...

Winterbay

Yeah, well I just picked the option in the dropdown because it was there which meant my brain decided it must work. It didn't 5 times in a row for obvious reasons :)

Erich

i love this script. Did the new manor break it? I'm on a different computer right now and no longer have it installed for the time being.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
With the Quest Tracker showing all relevant information, I don't know if an updated version of this script still has any relevance.

Bale

Minion
i love this script. Did the new manor break it? I'm on a different computer right now and no longer have it installed for the time being.

Broken big time! I'm working on updating it. It's on SVN, so if you installed it through SVN you'll get the update when it is done. Probably tomorrow-ish.