Fuzzy matching change

holatuwol

Developer
Just to clarify, this would only be a preference for fuzzy matching.

fuzzy matching:
This is the code that makes it so KoLmafia is able to determine that 'regent' is 'reagent'. Basically, it's fuzzy because it tries to guess what letters are missing. It has some weird side-effects, like matching against typos which people may have expected would match against nothing, but it lets you be fairly lazy with typing if you know what you're doing.

substring matching:
This is the code that makes it so KoLmafia is able to determine that "red snow" is "red snowcone". If you don't typo often, this is usually enough to get what you want, and I don't know how often people actually rely on fuzzy rather than substring matching.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Off. I usually rely on exact matching because I know how to spell and I don't mind typing the full names of things. :p

(I also think that fuzzy matching AND substring matching should be off, no preference about it, in ASH scripts. You should be required to use the full, correct, unambiguous, and self-documenting name when specifying item and effect constants. But that's a different poll...)

tebee

Well, I think my fuzzy brain probably needs fuzzy matching to go with my equally fuzzy typing.

I can't spell for toffee,(I'm mildly dyslexic) but normally rely on using the full name in a script. To make sure I get this right I normally have open a copy of itemdescs.txt and copy and past from that. The only time I know this to fail is when " especially salty dogs" are on at the microbrewery and mafia buys these instead of "salty dogs" and overdrinks if I'm not careful.

But when I'm typing in CLI commands directly the less typing the better for me.

Tom

I semi-agree with Veracity,

Off, and it shouldn't guess at all in .ash scripts.

Substring matching I like, however, again, not in .ash scripts.
When people put in "Pet bu" for pet buffing spray in the script, run it, and don't know why they didn't get what they wanted, sometimes it's a problem.

Oh well, personal opinion: "Substring on in CLI, Fuzzy off; Both off in .ash" If that's possible.

holatuwol

Developer
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Fuzzy matching has been removed from the CLI entirely (no preference), but it still exists in the filtered lists, which is where people like me actually need it. =)

tebee

[quote author=holatuwol link=topic=1554.msg7304#msg7304 date=1203697986]
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Fuzzy matching has been removed from the CLI entirely (no preference), .........

[/quote]

Now I'm quite happy with this change, but I wonder how many existing scripts will be broken by it - I my case two of my daily scripts have crashed due to things like missing "of"'s in the middle of names and I always try to paste and copy item names in as both my typing and spelling are lousy. Mind you I'm also an inveterate nicker of other people scripts and bits of other peoples scripts, so I may be getting my just rewards for "borrowing" incorrect code......

Tom

raorn

[quote author=holatuwol link=topic=1554.msg7304#msg7304 date=1203697986]
Fuzzy matching has been removed from the CLI entirely (no preference)[/quote]
Hey! How do I "use 10 mmj" from CLI?

Well in that case, is there a way to make a list and hardcode things like that in Mafia?

Not total fuzzy matching, but mmj seems like it wouldn't rely on fuzzy matching. That is REALLY fuzzy.