Weird issue with daily builds and the Kolmafia home folder.

Sarmatron

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG4.PNG5.PNG

Okay, the first two images show how it normally works: if I open the KoLMafia folder in My Documents (which is my normal Mafia folder) and double-click the .jar, it uses that folder and all the preferences saved in it. However, check the next three images: if I go to the start menu and start the .jar from there, it ignores my Mafia folder and creates its working folders in c:/Documents and Settings/d (d is my Windows username). It doesn't happen with .exes, just the daily builds. Is there anything I can do to make it run normally from the Start menu?

slyz

Developer
It already is running normally from the Start Menu. Mafia will use the folders that are in the location you are running it from. If they don't exist, it creates new ones (as shown in 3.png), and you have a fresh "install".

I'm not sure how Windows manages the files in the Start Menu folder vs the My Documents folder, but they aren't the same locations, so launching the actual Jar from a folder in Start Menu probably isn't what you wanted to do. Maybe you used to have a link to the .exe, which would have launched it from its My Documents folder?

The simplest solution would be to move all the folders in My Documents\Programs\KoLMafia to Start Menu\Programs\KoLMafia. You could also modify the link to the .jar so that it runs from the folder where you have all your settings, although I forget what the java command is.

Someone will probably come along with a better understanding and offer better advice :)

Sarmatron

You misunderstand - when I say "open it from the start menu," it's the same folder (My Documents/Programs/Kolmafia), just a different way of accessing it. Unless what you're saying is that Windows treats the folder in Explorer and the folder in the start menu as two distinct things. I guess that could cause this, although I don't understand why it would do that.

slyz

Developer
Oh, I thought you were using the "All Programs" link in the Start Menu. I hadn't noticed you were using the shortcut to My Documents.

It still looks like Windows is launching the Jar from a different location though. Knowing where exactly is harder. Maybe you should try looking for a "ccs" folder in all of c:\Documents and Settings\d ?

Theraze

That's just the way MS works... if you want it to launch from a specific location, you have to either launch it from there (by browsing first) or create a shortcut that will tell Windows where to launch it from. Because you're using daily builds, that's a bit more difficult, since the name keeps changing. I highly suggest something like Rinn's KoLMafiaUpdate, which can actually have shortcuts and will also get the latest Daily Build for you automatically...

And slyz...
if I go to the start menu and start the .jar from there, it ignores my Mafia folder and creates its working folders in c:/Documents and Settings/d (d is my Windows username).
The saved location is already known. :) MS is running it from its default "I know it's you, I just don't know where you want me to run it from" folder. :)

Winterbay

Yeah, downloading the .jar to the same folder as always, but opening it from the download-window in FF makes it create an entirely new installation somewhere, probably in a temp-folder somewhere. It's an annoying side effect of Windows I think.

Sarmatron

Well, I guess I'll just keep doing it the way that works. It's not that much of a hassle. Thanks for the help.