Bug - Cannot Reproduce Nemesis quest big door password inop

nworbetan

The password for the big door doesn't get auto-filled today using r11294. The last time I did the quest was the 13th, and the auto-filling worked fine then. If the debug log isn't enough detail for someone who's not at the right stage of the quest to fix it, I can copy/paste whatever html you want to see.

Attachments

• DEBUG_20120716.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 81
That's interesting. I am not a dev, but can you post all the preferences you have set that start with "lastPaperStrip"? Both the preference name and value. Thanks!

nworbetan

> prefref strip

lastPaperStrip3144 - user - now "zig-zaggy:KAZAM:sinusoidal", default ""
lastPaperStrip4138 - user - now "rough:MEEP:wibbly", default ""
lastPaperStrip4139 - user - now "fuzzy:CAT:careful", default ""
lastPaperStrip4140 - user - now "funny:ZZZZ:rough", default ""
lastPaperStrip4141 - user - now "careful:FNORD:funny", default ""
lastPaperStrip4142 - user - now "sinusoidal:GOLD:curved", default ""
lastPaperStrip4143 - user - now "sinusoidal:GOLD:curved", default ""
lastPaperStrip4144 - user - now "funny:ZZZZ:rough", default ""
lastPaperStripReset - user - now "78", default "-1"

Darzil

Developer
lastPaperStrip4142 - user - now "sinusoidal:GOLD:curved", default ""
lastPaperStrip4143 - user - now "sinusoidal:GOLD:curved", default ""

I'd suggest checking that you really two have two identical paper strips, as you appear to. If so, that's the issue, it's an unsolvable puzzle to be /bugged. If not, I guess KoLMafia must have somehow read one wrongly.

nworbetan

The good news is that they are different items, and the quest is solvable.

The bad news is that I thought I was being clever and set both of those two properties to "" thinking that looking at the item would fill in the right values. But both "/examine <stripnane>" in chat and clicking on the icon in my inventory left the two properties empty.

The good news is that they are different items, and the quest is solvable.

The bad news is that I thought I was being clever and set both of those two properties to "" thinking that looking at the item would fill in the right values. But both "/examine <stripnane>" in chat and clicking on the icon in my inventory left the two properties empty.

The other bad news is then to try and figure out how you ended up with two duplicate strips, somehow. post what the prefs are once you run the nemesis strips command. :D The good news is if you can duplicate the duplicate strips... if you can't, it'll be tough to solve.

nworbetan

Even more bad news is that a couple of the non-duplicate strips weren't right either.

I went through and manually set all of the preferences to their correct value, and the password auto-filled and was accepted by the big door. Thanks for talking me through it!

er, yes, well... that's good, but if you want someone to fix it, you need to provide the details. Otherwise someone else later's going to get stuck with the problem. If I end up digging into it, it'd be the prefs dump of the strips after running nemesis strips (presumably the same as the first one you provided? confirmation is good), the prefs dump of the fixed version you did by hand, and then html source of the item description pages for all the strips (or at least a representative one that was screwed up, to start).

nworbetan

I feel fine about finishing that part of the quest because I positively verified that part was still working properly. The thing that might could use some "fixing" from what I've seen is the part where the strip preferences are only set once and then never updated even when cleared manually. I'm assuming without looking at the source that happens only when the item drops.

I'd kind of feel negligent if I didn't mention that the internet connection I'm using can be sketchy at times. Now that I've seen the door open with the right password I'm assuming that losing a few too many packets (or whatever it is that goes wrong) the first time mafia set the strip preferences is the real cause. If there's a simple way to set the preferences more than once and someone has some free time they don't mind volunteering, that may or may not save someone else the small hassle I went through eventually. It feels like a pretty low priority to me though.

Bale

Minion
Even more bad news is that a couple of the non-duplicate strips weren't right either.

I went through and manually set all of the preferences to their correct value, and the password auto-filled and was accepted by the big door. Thanks for talking me through it!

Incidentally, all you needed to do was to set lastPaperStripReset to -1 and mafia would have looked at all the paper strips and set all the paperstrip preferences for you. Just throwing this information out there in case you or someone else sees this problem in the future.

nworbetan

Sounds more like user error than a bug now. Sorry about that, but I do appreciate everyone pointing me in the right direction.

Bale

Minion
User error would have been caused if you set them by hand before you had a problem.

There must have been some sort of bug which caused mafia to have set them improperly, however it is probably very hard to discover or replicate. All we know is that it must happen very infrequently. It could even have been caused by lag I guess. I'm going to categorize this bug as "Cannot Reproduce"