Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Map literals in ASH (potential feature)

I applied the patch from the first post. zarqon's example just netted him 10 meat and some bat crap, but my DCQuest which calls datelib had "Internal error (datelib.ash, line 28)" which suggests something changed for the worse. Not ready for prime time since my time to diagnose is momentarily limited.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards

Developer

Not sure, haven't tried out datelib with this patch. I'll look into it (since that is evidently my script :P).

edit: ooh, that was quick. As I discovered earlier in the thread (which led to the massive derailing), any variables with the name of an existing type will cause the interpreter to throw an error (because of the change to control flow -- said patch causes Mafia to try to parse map literals before variable references, and I wasn't sure how to put tokens back onto the stack).

Said patch still needs cleanup, naturally (for instance, standalone expressions like "ash int[int] {1: 2};" will throw a different error).

double edit: fixed both issues; new patch attached here. Will also add to first post.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by heeheehee; 08-14-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: patch!

Any chance of this getting merged?

Developer

Bumpity bump bump. Funny story, actually. Someone pinged me about map literals in ASH a few weeks ago, citing this thread (which I'd totally forgotten about). I checked out this patch, and other than trailing whitespace, it applied and compiled without any complaints. Good job, self from 2012!

I never did fix the issue with array literals, but I'm still not sure that anyone might care about it (as I mentioned, plural typed constants are superior if you can use them). I'm thinking I'll commit this once I take a look at what I did and see if there's anything I can improve, unless there are any reservations.

Developer

r16866 commits this; docs can be found in the commit notes. One outstanding issue I noticed:

Code:
    int [int]
    {
        4 : 3,
        5 : 6
    };
    throws a script parsing error, while
    Code:
    (int [int]
    {
        4 : 3,
        5 : 6
    });
    does not. I personally think this is a non-issue, since there's no reason to use a map literal without using its value anywhere.

We can do this:

Code:
    item [int,int] imap = item[int, int] {4: item[int] {4: $item[eyepatch]} };

record rec1 { int a; string b; };

rec1 [int,int] rmap = rec1[int, int] {4: rec1[int] {4: new rec1( 10, "abc" ) }, 10: rec1[int] {40: new rec1( 100, "xyz" ) } };
    Can we do this:

Code:
    item [int,int] imap = {4: item[int] {4: $item[eyepatch]} };

rec1 [int,int] rmap = {4: rec1[int] {4: new rec1( 10, "abc" ) }, 10: rec1[int] {40: new rec1( 100, "xyz" ) } };
    If not, why not?
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Developer

Looks like it -- well, once you add the type information to the literals, as follows:
    Code:
    item [int,int] imap = item[int,int]{4: item[int] {4: $item[eyepatch]} };

rec1 [int,int] rmap = rec1[int,int]{4: rec1[int] {4: new rec1( 10, "abc" ) }, 10: rec1[int] {40: new rec1( 100, "xyz" ) } };
    edit: I see, you're referring to omitting type specification entirely.

Developer

It certainly would be simpler to infer type from the lhs of the assignment. But this would primarily be useful in initializing variables. In the case of passing in literals as arguments to functions (which I always saw as the main use case of this feature), the current syntax might be the best we can do -- otherwise, overload resolution seems... potentially difficult. Not impossible, but probably more effort than it's worth.

Well, yes. I am interested (at the moment) in initializing maps from literals. So, the type definition is redundant.
    For parsing arguments, the type definition is necessary, to disamiguate overloaded functions, at least.

They don't have to have the same syntax requirements.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

Developer

Certainly. The current implementation was just simpler (and in practice, a neat side effect), since we got code reuse without any extra effort.

Other than that one point, I don't see any other immediate issues. Given the structure of parseAggregateLiteral, you probably will be able to reuse that code (I imagine you could add an else-if around Parser.java:861, if you wanted to implement the notation without '=', which might even be marginally easier).
    Last edited by heeheehee; 01-11-2017 at 12:47 PM.