Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: regarding Java 7

With the release of 16.0, I'm going to optimistically un-sticky this. We need to transition to fully supporting 1.7 eventually.

If you know of things that work under Java 6 but do not work under Java 7, please bug report them. If you are experiencing "crashing", "freezing", "excessive lag", or what-have-you under Java 7, check if you experience it under Java 6 before you bug report it, since that is going to be our immediate followup question.

We had that bug reported this past week about someone using beta 1.7 and having issues that release 1.7 wasn't having... do we need a new sticky post regarding not supporting non-release versions of Java, since we're no longer having the official "use 1.6" recommendation?

We had that bug reported this past week about someone using beta 1.7 and having issues that release 1.7 wasn't having... do we need a new sticky post regarding not supporting non-release versions of Java, since we're no longer having the official "use 1.6" recommendation?
    Originally Posted by Theraze View Post
    7u21-b11 is NOT a beta. b11 here means "build 11" - in reference to that other thread.

So what you're saying is that release Java 1.7.21 has issues, and we need to put back this warning against using Java 1.7? Since 1.7.21 is the current version of Java available from the site when I checked just now...

So what you're saying is that release Java 1.7.21 has issues, and we need to put back this warning against using Java 1.7? Since 1.7.21 is the current version of Java available from the site when I checked just now...
    Originally Posted by Theraze View Post
    No. We don't need to reference that other thread if we post a warning about betas. I have no issues at all with Java 7 on OSX 10.8.3

With the release of 16.0, I'm going to optimistically un-sticky this. We need to transition to fully supporting 1.7 eventually.

If you know of things that work under Java 6 but do not work under Java 7, please bug report them. If you are experiencing "crashing", "freezing", "excessive lag", or what-have-you under Java 7, check if you experience it under Java 6 before you bug report it, since that is going to be our immediate followup question.
    Originally Posted by roippi View Post
    For the record, I just upgraded to OSX 10.9.1 and had to reinstall Java - and I now have ONLY a Java 7 JDK. It was a pain in the rear to figure out how to get ant installed again, but having done that, things seem to be OK. I have the following observations:

- It is slower by a factor of 2 to build KoLmafia.jar
    - Popping up dialogs seems slower: if I select a bunch of items in the Item Manager and say "autosell", it pops up a dialog for each in succession to ask "how many", and that feels a lot slower than before.
    - Automating a bunch of turns through the GUI seems really zippy.

But, no errors in operation, that I can see. Just a subjective "slowness" compared to 1.6 - which is not something we can likely do anything about in KoLmafia itself.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

For the record, I just upgraded to OSX 10.9.1 and had to reinstall Java - and I now have ONLY a Java 7 JDK. It was a pain in the rear to figure out how to get ant installed again, but having done that, things seem to be OK. I have the following observations:

- It is slower by a factor of 2 to build KoLmafia.jar
    - Popping up dialogs seems slower: if I select a bunch of items in the Item Manager and say "autosell", it pops up a dialog for each in succession to ask "how many", and that feels a lot slower than before.
    - Automating a bunch of turns through the GUI seems really zippy.

But, no errors in operation, that I can see. Just a subjective "slowness" compared to 1.6 - which is not something we can likely do anything about in KoLmafia itself.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I concur with the "No errors in operation" remarks... shame that it took this long; Java SE 8 is due out in a little over a month (March 18, 2014).

Java 9 hit GA at some point recently and mafia users are starting to post issues while casually noting they're running JRE9.
    JDK9 can't compile, since its oldest target is 1.6, not 1.5, our current target.
    I'm not certain whether or not JRE9 runs things properly or if it has issues. As the JDK won't compile, I wouldn't feel confident that the JRE would be flawless.

Do we still want to maintain back compat with 1.5, or can this be bumped to 1.6 or even higher?
    Or do we just tell people to avoid JDK9 and maybe JRE9?

Posting this here because it was from when the target was most recently bumped from 1.4 to 1.5 several years ago...

Developer

Good question. I don't understand enough to answer, but am hoping JRE9 will let me have a usable mafia on my very high res laptop once supported !

What's the lowest version of Java that can connect to sourceforge, given their switch to https? Not supporting Java versions that are too old for that task seems reasonable.