Script Request--Grand Tour

Flanders

Okay, I have little to no scripting mojo, but I was wondering if it were possible to build a script that satisfies the "Least Boring Slideshow" PVP event requirements. Like, a script that will run a single adventure in all the open areas a particular character can access.

Yeah. Somebody should totally go do that, so I can reap the benefit while doing absolutely no work. Get on that, will you? :p

(Realized I'm being a total freeloader halfway through this post. Can you tell?)

Bale

Minion
It's totally easy to write. Unbelievably boring, but totally easy. Most of the work has already been done by zarqon and Theraze.

However the way you wrote your post has ensured that I am strongly opposed to sharing such a script.

Catch-22

Yar he's being a freeloader but not being a tool about it :p

Flanders, why not take the opportunity to learn how to write scripts? We'll help you along the way and reap the benefits when you're done ;)

Winterbay

It's as Bale said not hard since canadv.ash exists. Take a look at that and I think you can quite eaisly do it yourself :)

Bale

Minion
Considering the links you surrounded your pseudocode with, anyone who cannot write this one doesn't deserve it.

This might be nostalgic of me, but I remember the days when those with "little to no scripting mojo" at least offered a bounty ;)

Ah sweet nostalgia. Usually a million meat was offered, an offer so small as to be insignificant next to the amount of time those requests required to write as opposed to something worth working for. Still, for this request, if a million meat had been offered I would have snatched it up, posted my code, and considered myself paid an appropriate sum. That was then. Now I only hope that the poster can follow the blueprint you laid out for success. Though having written the script I can say that one unfortunate spice was left out of your stew. Hopefully Flanders will try to write it. Once he posts about a problem he might be having, then we can answer his question. Once he is ready to ask the question.

neminem

So... if I had been around earlier today, I probably would have posted a post somewhat similarly snarky to this guy's, because, while I could totally write it myself, I don't feel like it, and would thus totally feel like a complete freeloader. Then I'd probably have offered a bounty; a million meat sounds about right for something that requires little to no skill, just tedium. So, consider it stated? If Flanders makes such a script, I'll give him a million meat. If you, Bale, make it first, I'll give you a million meat instead. (Don't forget to check things like antique maps, agua de vida, etc. Bonus points, and by points I mean meat, if it tells you which zones it tried checking for but you didn't meet the requirements and why!)

I'm pretty dang sure someone will post such a script in the next few days anyway, given that it really is a task that is extremely yelling out "script me!", as it requires being done every 5 days and is rather tedious... but consider this enticement for someone whipping it up sooner rather than later.

Thanks! (In advance. :p)

Last edited:

Flanders

See, and here I didn't even know that offering a bounty was a thing. Go fig. I'll give Catch-22's hints a shot, but if I don't post my story of heroic success here by, say, rollover tomorrow, I'll match neminem's offer. WOOT FILTHY LUCRE.

BTW: I found a small amount of success with equipping a ring of teleportation and bopping around for a hundred turns. See if that works for you.

EDIT: Okay, so that didn't work. Some thinking/research will be required, which will require time I don't have until tomorrow (if that). Alas and woe.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
if I don't post my story of heroic success here by, say, rollover tomorrow, I'll match neminem's offer.

Well, I did go to the bother of making a script which will automatically resume from your last location if it aborts for some reason. (I hit a fortune cookie counter when it went to visit the shore with 2 turns left and didn't want to revist previous locations on mafia's list.) So sure, if you or someone else posts a million meat to match neminem's million meat, then I'll post my relatively simple script for 2 million.

Catch-22

...automatically resume from your last location if it aborts for some reason.

Boo, I thought your script was going to use a map file with "last visited" so it'd only do adventures that hadn't been done in the last 5 days.

Bale

Minion
You expect it to keep track of locations visited when you aren't using the script? I suppose that is possible with an after adventure script to record each location every time you visit it. Beh. There aren't so many adventure locations available without extreme measures that you can't just do them all every 5 days.

Anyone know if this is adventure.php hits only? I'd only have to add one condition to my if() statement to check for it.

Catch-22

You expect it to keep track of locations visited when you aren't using the script?
Nah.
I suppose that is possible with an after adventure script to record each location every time you visit it.
I thought of this too, but then came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the extra hassle to save yourself maybe 10-20 adventures. If you're serious about winning PvP fights then I figure you'd be in aftercore :)

Anyone know if this is adventure.php hits only?
It counts for more than just adventure.php.

Catch-22

Mafia already keeps track of every adventure you spend. Time to dust off session_logs()!

Parsing locations from the session log is really icky :(

It'd be nice if session_logs() returned a multidimensional map based on [day][logline] instead of just returning a huge glob of text for the day. Maybe I should FReq that.

neminem

I've heard that it's only adventure.php that counts, and I checked a couple places that cost adventures but don't use adventure.php, and got no credit for them. I've heard a couple people on the forums claiming otherwise, but none with solid examples to try yet.

It would definitely be silly and too much work for too little gain to try to figure out where you'd adventured when you weren't using the script. I just want to make sure that it does actually do everything (including trying to use items to get to zones that require items to get to, I dunno if mafia or that other helper script uses them automatically if you try to adventure in a zone that requires one, like agua or gongs or astral trips?), and let you know which ones failed (as in, trying all of them, then giving you a list of failures at the end, rather than aborting after one failure and making you fix the error before continuing.)

I look forward to it, with meat waiting. ;)

Catch-22

I'm pretty sure it's only adventure.php zones that count. Unless you can name an exception (and the hidden city is not an exception since it uses adventure.php).

In my browser hidden city uses hiddencity.php?which=0, so yeah I considered that an exception but there is also another. There's a few non-snarfblat's (that still use adventure.php) and just a couple that don't use adventure.php