Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: eclipse setup, tricks, etc

Decent "short" tutorial you've written, Roippi
    Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
    >.>

Well, really the first post is the tutorial, and everything after that is tips/tricks... that's what I'll tell myself.

Ctrl+Left/Right is a good one too, useful after you have pressed F3 to jump to a declaration, you can press Ctrl+Left to jump back. Maybe I should try Eclipse again...
    Cool, I'll try that. I use ctrl+Q to jump back to my last edit sometimes, that's a pretty useful one.

This is a really useful guide, roippi. I wish I had had something like this available when I started.

Would you mind if I included parts of this in other projects I'm involved in? If that's okay, how would you like to be acknowledged?

ctrl+T

Open type. You know you want to open up UseItemRequest, you're tired of opening package explorer and browsing to it. There ya go.
    Originally Posted by roippi View Post
    Also ctrl+R to open "resource" (any file in the workspace) by name.
    Both ctrl+T and ctrl+R support wildcards (*, ?) and ctrl+T also some sort of fuzzy matching (for example, you can skip over most lowercase letters .. in mafia's workspace, RuLi will find RuntimeLibrary). Useful when you only know *part* of the type's name.

This is a really useful guide, roippi. I wish I had had something like this available when I started.

Would you mind if I included parts of this in other projects I'm involved in? If that's okay, how would you like to be acknowledged?
    Originally Posted by Grotfang View Post
    Steal at will, I don't mind. You can mention my name if you like. You'll have to pull out the mafia-specific stuff

This is really helpful thanks Roippi

The repository you use in your guide ( https://kolmafia.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kolmafia ) seems to be stuck in February.

My best guess as to what the repository should be is

svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/kolmafia/code

since that one seems to be current.

Is that the correct one? (Or am I just entirely confused.)

Yes, the kolmafia project migrated to the "new" (read: buggy) sourceforge system back in February, which included migrating to a new svn url. I'll update the OP when I get a chance.

Hey guys, KoLmafia needs an update to its code formatting rules. Namely, the option in the code formatting settings to enable block comment formatting should be disabled - this prevents Eclipse from horribly mangling block comments, which are used a lot in the KoLmafia source code.

I wasn't aware that I'd finished writing the document describing our code formatting rules; that was intended to go into the "devdoc" directory, but it is not there.

Perhaps Eclipse and NetBeans and such allow you to define formatting conventions which they will use for newly entered code. Again, I am not aware of where in our code tree we might have checked in such configuration.

In any case, surely the IDEs don't reformat existing code to follow such configuration unless you explicitly tell it to do so, right? If you have it configured to automatically reformat a whole file when you make a change in the file and save it, or something like that, you need to disable that. If you want to submit a patch which changes an existing method or adds a new one, it is not acceptable for the rest of the file to get reformatted. Doing so is likely to have the patch be discarded unexamined, since it is way too much work to wade through irrelevant formatting changes in order to find what was really changed.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu
    R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn.

FWIW I use NetBeans for mafia and Intellij professionally. Both have an explicit option to reformat code according to some set of formatting rules and those rules are defined in configuration files. However both also have some editor rules such as replacing tabs with spaces, or not, that are not voluntary. If you edit the code in the IDE and then check it in then those rules are unconditionally applied. Granted those are less obtrusive than reformatting block comments but they are nevertheless not practically optional. One has to set them correctly for KoLmafia. The whole formatting thing was also complicated in Ye Olden Days because SVN would not deal with the various CR LF options automatically and the Windows based devs were constantly screwing things up for the Mac devs.

All that said, I am not aware of a set of KoLmafia approved formatting rules for code that are implemented in such a way that an IDE user would have to import a file and thus be compliant. It would be wonderful if someone felt like taking that on. I'd even consider switching to Eclipse.
    You just vehemently agreed with me
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I agree with frono.
    Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    There are 69 players more powerful than you.
    Originally Posted by Statistics Leaderboards