Get Brother Corsican's blessing

zarqon

Just in case anyone finds it useful, here's the code to get the very helpful blessing from Brother Corsican (20advs of +familiar exp) after you've completed the Friars quest. Before I put this in my daily routine script I was always forgetting to get the buff.

Code:
if (contains_text(visit_url("questlog.php?which=2"),"cleansed the taint"))
   visit_url("friars.php?action=buffs&bro=2&pwd=");

If you want a different blessing just change the number of the "bro" in the url.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
[quote author=zarqon link=topic=1472.msg6822#msg6822 date=1201293403]
Code:
visit_url("friars.php?action=buffs&bro=2&pwd=");

If you want a different blessing just change the number of the "bro" in the url.[/quote]
Or you could use the "friars" CLI command.
Code:
cli_execute( "friars blessing familiar" );

... and if you want a different blessing, change "familiar" to "food" or "booze".

zarqon

Oh. :/ Well, there's an ASH version then. Ha.

Is there also a cli command for the postwar arena buff?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
[quote author=zarqon link=topic=1472.msg6824#msg6824 date=1201294872]
Is there also a cli command for the postwar arena buff?
[/quote]
Yes! It's called "concert".

You can say:

concert 1

to get whatever the 1st listed concert is. Or, more usefully, you can say:

concert Elvish

to get the specific buff you name - and it will fail for you if you finished that quest as a hippy and ask for a frat boy buff, or vice versa.

Heyas..

Was wondering about an addendum to this..

like, getting the buff, and then if the buff still exists, adventure in an area with lots of food. Else adventure in an area with items.

something like:

cli_execute( "friars blessing food" );
if(adventure(if (friars blessing(my_adventures(), $location[Knob Goblin Kitchens]))) {}
if(adventure(my_adventures(), $location[Hole in the Sky])) {}

(line 2 is giving me trouble. Anyone feel like giving me a hint? :) cheers...)

Bale

Minion
Code:
cli_execute( "friars blessing food" );
if(have_effect($effect[Brother Flying Burrito's Blessing]) > 0)
   (!adventure(have_effect($effect[Brother Flying Burrito's Blessing]) , $location[Knob Goblin Kitchens]));

(!adventure(my_adventures(), $location[Hole in the Sky]));

I prefer using (! adventure ); instead of if( adventure ) {} because it is less confusing to read.

Last edited:

zarqon

Funny, I think ! is more confusing. It's like "DON'T adventure!" "If adventure, oh wait never mind" is clearer to my eyes.

if (adventure(number,location) {} --> is not actually "oh wait nevermind".. it's a catchall, so that if it comes up with an error, it won't crash the script.

This isn't a good example as adventure doesn't crash (that i've seen) :) I'm just in the habit of doing it.

if (cli_execute("nuns")) {} -> this is an example of a good one. merely executing cli_execute("nuns") could potentially crash the script, if you're having nun of it...

(i'm not trying to be cheeky, just discussing code:) )

zarqon

Yes, both your and Bale's code capture the result of the function so that the script can retain control, and both do it just as well. I was merely being nit-picky about nuance of "wording" (in the language of ASH).

"If you don't mind" vs. "If it's no trouble" -- same overall meaning, subtly different nuance. (Sorry, I'm a language teacher, so I can't help it.)

On a related note: did you know there are no perfect synonyms? No two words mean exactly the same thing. [/languagenerdiness]

Yes I did. Which is why English is a fun language to "program in". You can always find the "exact code" you want, if you look hard enough :p

zarqon

Synonyms there are a-plenty. I was instead referring to perfect synonyms -- words with exactly the same meaning, including nuance -- even down to aesthetic impact and latent meaning. They don't exist.

Consider "pal" and "homey" -- synonyms, but very different overall meaning when you consider cultural context.

EDIT: Found some relevant reading.

Last edited: