New Content - Implemented New Challenge Path: Bugbears!

slyz

Developer
If there is anything we should fix, or feature requests regarding the new path, it goes here.

I haven't jumped in yet, but I gather there is some kind of zone counter that would be nice to have?

Bale

Minion
When I check my telescope and look low it says, "You see the nether regions of a giant bugbear-shaped spaceship."

Unfortunately that has convinced KoLmafia that I do not have a telescope at all. I suppose that is half correct, but I can still look high if I want and KoLmafia should know that.

Code:
> ash my_path()

Returned: 9

I haven't jumped in yet, but I gather there is some kind of zone counter that would be nice to have?

I've heard that they appear more often if you sniff them so I think that they're just ordinary wandering monster: no counter.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
I think we can just have the number of upgrades you have not get updated if you're in a bugbear run (preserving the value from whenever mafia previously checked, but obviously not updating if you used a gift certificate, but that could be done separately). Then the "telescope" command would have to not print out irrelevant information stored from the previous run, possibly by clearing those values before setting them (alternatively, by just knowing to not check them).

It's probably a good idea to wait until someone sees the final boss stuff before making changes with that stuff.

mstieler

There is also a set of zones (where the Tower would be, but still accessible from the Main Map from level 1) located within the Bugbear Mothership.

Initial image is of the outside, with a link to "Sneak in Through a Vent"
Internal image has 3 zones, Medbay, Waste Processing, Sonar, as well as an "Exit" link to go back to the outside image.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
The BURT appears to be like an A.W.O.L. Commendation: it is effectively a Coinmaster that you can "use" to trade in BURTS for items.

You squeeze one of the BURTS and a glowing screen appears in midair before your eyes.
AVAILABLE SCHEMATICS:
bugbear purification pill 2 BURTs
pacification grenade 3 BURTs
key-o-tron 5 BURTs
bugbear detector 25 BURTs
UV monocular 50 BURTs
quantum disintegrator pistol 60 BURTs
phase-tuned shield generator belt 70 BURTs

inv_use.php?which=3&whichitem=5683&pwd&ajax=1

... to bring up the "see what's available" and "You have 5 BURTs." for the balance.

inv_use.php?pwd&whichitem=5683&itemquantity=2

... to trade in 2 BURTs

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Revision 10980 adds the Bugbear Token as a coinmaster.

It's untested; I only have 7 BURTs at the moment, and I am saving up for the 50 BURT item. I used the A.W.O.L. commendation as a model, since both are coinmasters that you access by "using" the token itself.

We also need the item number for the 3 expensive untradable items. I have the data for them in tradeitems, itemdescs, equipment, and modifiers, but we need to add the item number to the following lines and uncomment them:

tradeitems.txt:
Code:
#xxxx	UV monocular	accessory	display	0
#xxxx	quantum disintegrator pistol	weapon	display	0
#xxxx	phase-tuned shield generator belt	accessory	display	0
itemdescs.txt:
Code:
#xxxx	184896228	monocular.gif	UV monocular
#xxxx	915600766	bugraygun.gif	quantum disintegrator pistol
#xxxx	705663632	bugbelt.gif	phase-tuned shield generator belt

Here's the info for the UV monocular:

5688 UV monocular accessory display 0
5688 184896228 monocular.gif UV monocular
UV monocular 0 Mys: 22
UV monocular Item Drop: +5

Bale

Minion
More items not in r10980:

Code:
Updating inventory...
Looking at item #5686...
Unknown item found: quantum nanopolymer spider web (5686, 826921536)
--------------------
5686 quantum nanopolymer spider web none, combat all 60
5686 826921536 web.gif quantum nanopolymer spider web
# quantum nanopolymer spider web
--------------------
Looking at item #5685...
Unknown item found: bugbear communicator badge (5685, 969839389)
--------------------
5685 bugbear communicator badge accessory none 0
5685 969839389 bugbearbadge.gif bugbear communicator badge
bugbear communicator badge 0 none
# bugbear communicator badge
--------------------

GValko

Cavebugbears get angrier and angrier the more you fight them.

The game shows this to you by attaching very's on to the name, much like the various encounters in the basement.

svdhX.jpg

Bale

Minion
much like the various encounters in the basement.

This is wrong.

They should not be collapsed into a single monster since the number of "very" tells you what the monster's stats are. Essentially, they are different monsters. By contrast the number of a n-Headed Hydra tells you nothing and its stats are determined exclusively by the basement level where it is encountered.

I used pacification grenades against the n-very angry bears. One grenade removes 3 verys (delevels) from every angry bear in the zone. I finished the zone never having fought an angry bear with more than 3 verys.

slyz

Developer
I did the same thing, but I had to fight more cavebugbears than I was expecting. I probably won't delevel them again.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Well, what the heck. I am about to ascend again into a bugbear run. I'll look.

The displayed text is not useful.
The submitted URL IS useful.

I find it hard to understand what difference there could be in the submitted URL from the Relay Browser vs. that from the coinmaster. What does your session log say?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Huh.

DEBUG log:

inv_use.php?pwd&whichitem=5683&itemquantity=5
redirect to -> inventory.php?which=0&action=message
You watch as 5 of the BURTS dissolve into the component subatomic particles and reassemble into a new item: key-o-tron

Session log:

trading 5 BURTs for 1 key-o-tron
You acquire an item: key-o-tron

CLI:

> inv burt

BURT (5)

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I guess the difference would be that the URL submitted by the Relay Browser does not use ajax, and so the redirection occurs.

Try 11039. Untested. I'll test it tomorrow or the day after.