Bug - Fixed Incorrect reporting of high +nc values

slyz

Developer
If I am running 7 sources of -5% combat rate (for a raw total of -35%) and 3 sources of +5% combat, do I end up with -35+15 = -20%, or with -27+15 = -12%?

It looks like the former, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

This part isn't hard to implement, we just need to add a specific rule for COMBAT_RATE in Modifiers.add(). The delicate part is taking into account Underwater Only combat rate modifiers. Currently, Mafia simply adds those with the other regular COMBAT_RATE modifiers when the location is set to an underwater zone, so we can't distinguish between Underwater and non-Underwater combat rate modifiers.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK. I think there is something funny going on - at least when Banishing is taken into account.

I'm in Axecore, post-NS, pre-King, leveling to L30. I decided that the no-brainer way to do this - up to some level, at least - is in the Gallery.

I have the following effects up:

Song of Solitude (-20%)
Sonata of Sneakiness (-5%)
Ring of Conflict (-5%)
Ballroom Song (-5%)

KolMafia tells me I am at -35%.

I banished the rusty suit of armor
I banished the guy with the pitchfork and his wife
Every time I see the Garden, I banish it for 10 turns with option #4, at no turn-cost

In 994 turns, I saw the following:

433 Louvre
81 Garden (no turns consumed)
561 cubist bull

I encountered the Louvre 433/994 = 43.6% of the time and the cubist bull 56.4% of the time.
Or is it really (433 + 81)/1075 = 47.8% non-combats?

What is my real non-combat rate?

FWIW, I'm getting about 35 Muscle substats per bull and 330 per Louvre, for an average of about 163 per turn. That's not TOO shabby for something which requires absolutely no thinking or item purchases. I'll hit L30 in about 8 days, just doing this unless I decide to switch to the scaling monsters on the moons at some point and/or start using divine noisemakers and such to get a little extra boost...

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
Well, the base combat rate in the gallery is 80%, and you got 561 combats out of 433+81+561=1075 encounters (the Garden encounters count as a roll of the dice, even if they don't consume an adventure). That gives a combat rate of ~0.52% instead of the 45% we should have expected without the reduction.

Your -35% combat rate turned into a -28% modifier. I guess we would need many more turns and/or some statistical wizardry to know whether it was actually -27 or not, but I guess this is close enough to the result we were expecting.

Last edited:

Fluxxdog

OK, Gallery combat rate @ 80%
If the total percentage influences scaling, modified combat rate is 80-27=53%
If the number of effects influences scaling, modified combat rate is 80-35=45%
Since the cubist bull had a 56.4% rate, it seems total percentage determines the scaling, not the number of effects.

The wiki is currently conflicting. Not including sea only modifiers, it states that both more than 5 effects and more than 25% has diminishing returns afterwards. That was true when the only modifiers then were only 5% max each. Now that we have modifiers that are greater than 5%, it'll need to be re-spaded. I've marked the page as {{NeedsSpading}}
Edit: Semi-ninja'd ^^

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
OK, Gallery combat rate @ 80%
If the total percentage influences scaling, modified combat rate is 80-27=53%
If the number of effects influences scaling, modified combat rate is 80-35=45%
Since the cubist bull had a 56.4% rate, it seems total percentage determines the scaling, not the number of effects.

The wiki is currently conflicting. Not including sea only modifiers, it states that both more than 5 effects and more than 25% has diminishing returns afterwards. That was true when the only modifiers then were only 5% max each. Now that we have modifiers that are greater than 5%, it'll need to be re-spaded. I've marked the page as {{NeedsSpading}}
Edit: Semi-ninja'd ^^

Veracity's data set actually answered that question, which means I can clean up the wording on that wiki page.

An effective combat rate near 50% like in that data set means it takes a lot more turns than a combat rate near 0% or 100%. If someone really wanted to verify the effect of "35%" and "40%" combat rate (and if the assumption that +combat and -combat are diminished the same way holds true), then +combat in the Dungeons of Doom is probably the best place.

Fluxxdog

Veracity's data set actually answered that question, which means I can clean up the wording on that wiki page.
Thank you. Wasn't sure how to properly word it. Plus, seeing that there was a spading request in the history, anybody else can see the change was a response, not wiki-vandalism.