BatMan Relay -- more info, less clicking

zarqon

[*]adventure.ash -- Maintains quick menu even for noncombats. If you install this and clicking Adventure Again causes you to automate one turn before showing the next turn in the relay browser, deleting this file will solve the problem, at the expense of some convenience.

Known issue, but I have no idea why -- never experienced it myself or gotten any good clues. What browser/OS are you using?

CAB incompatibilities:
  • BatMan doesn't enable the hotkeys if you're using the CAB (desired behavior).
  • Combat completion doesn't detect properly (undesired behavior). The next BatBrain update has a fix for this but it's not out yet.

Last edited:

Winterbay

FF 13.0.1 on Windows XP with Java 1.6.

Also, I knew I had seen that somewhere before but failed to find it.

zarqon

I wasn't quoting that because I expected you to have seen it -- it was added to the first post with the last update. I just didn't want to type it again. :)

So far, most people who have the double-adventure problem are using Firefox. The confusing data point here is that Bale mentioned encountering the issue too using Opera. I also use Opera but have never had the problem. I really need to try this out using Firefox to see if I can duplicate it, but have a hard time prioritizing this when there are things like fixing BBB and rewriting the Script Registry on the list.

Presently it looks like there are two options for avoiding the issue: 1) Use a browser other than Firefox. Unless you rely on Firefox extensions (I hear they're particularly helpful for web dev), Chrome or Opera are probably worth getting used to -- they're faster and generally bloat-free. 2) Delete adventure.ash, as previously suggested. This will simply mean a bit more clicking/mouse movement to get past noncombats.

UNRELATED QUESTION TO ALL: Why would you use this and the CAB? In other words, what does the CAB provide to your relay experience that this script doesn't successfully replace? I eventually want BatMan RE to be a CAB replacement, not supplement.

Winterbay

Is there anything I can do to test it for you?

On changing to Opera or Chrome I may consider Opera but I really dislike the graphical design of Chrome (i.e. the fact that it completely ignores the standard Windows L&F with menus and so on).

---

Regarding the CAB: I mainly use it to set up one line of skills for each class together with some nifty "items I want to find quickly" since the dropdowns (of either kind) are way too crowded to find things in. As well as "repeat last action/adventure again" and "runaway" buttons. You can also bind pre-made kol-macros to it which is a nifty feature.

zarqon

I suppose you could see if the problem also happens for you in other browsers? From the reports thus far, my best guess is that it happens in some browsers but not othersbut if it happens for you regardless of browser, there's something else afoot.

Or, for fun, try it with adventure.ash and fight.ash overrides which do nothing but write the page, i.e. they would both contain only write(visit_url());

Re: CAB. Which items do you want to find quickly? I suspect these are mostly already covered by the Quick Menu, but if there are some that aren't I'm interested to learn why.

Last edited:

Winterbay

I could do that I guess.

There are two types of items I generally add on the bar. The first one are things like the pirate book and flyers which the quick menu already handles I think. The second is for use in aftercore and similar and consists of a few high damage items (love songs and that sort of things) for use against monsters where I don't think normal skills will suffice. This has been less meaningful now that WHAM also looks at items, but can still be useful form time to time especially with unspaded monsters.

zarqon

ANNOUNCEMENT: The BatBrain update of 15 minutes ago removes the incompatibility of this script with the CAB. Woohoo!

@Winterbay: Well, you asked... :)

I think all the items you've mentioned so far are replaced by the Quick Menu. If regular skills won't suffice, the attack action recommended there ought to reflect that.

I'm considering adding a runaway button, since scrolling to the bottom to run away is more of a chore with the Actions Table there. Not being a speed-oriented player myself, I often forget that such players will want to make full use of their free runaways, and thus having the button conveniently situated would be a boon. I did have my first 5-day HC run back in Boriscore though -- and almost made it in 4! Was also my lowest turncount by a long shot. Was pretty happy with that, considering fast runs are not usually my goal.

livercat

I just recently started using this awesome script, but I can't make it work with CAB enabled (it stands for the Custom Action Bars in account setting, right?). I'm using the latest versions of BMR, BatBrains, Stasis and ZLib.
If CAB is disabled, BMR works perfectly. If it's enabled, fight page looks exactly like vanilla kolmafia fight. Left-side menu doesn't appear in non-combats either.
What steps should I follow to diagnose my problem?

Winterbay

My experience was that BatMan RE appeared once I clicked the "show old combat form" link at the bottom of the fight screen. Test that?

livercat

My experience was that BatMan RE appeared once I clicked the "show old combat form" link at the bottom of the fight screen. Test that?

Thanks, that worked like a charm. Though that link needs to be clicked each fight for Batman to show up. Do you have the same experience?

Theraze

If that has to be clicked every time, could/should BatMan RE check for its existence and automatically resubmit it with that checked if it's not, so the player doesn't have to? Or should the player be in control of whether or not they want to use BMRE every combat?

Winterbay

Well... the main BatMan RE doesn't load until you click that at all, so I dunno if it can at the moment, but it would be nice if you didn't have to :)

zarqon

That is not intended behavior. I have done minimal testing with the CAB -- enough to identify and eliminate compatibility errors, but not enough to streamline the experience. As I've mentioned, it's not part of the long view for this script to be used together with the CAB. That is the long view, though, and a fix for the interim would be good.

We can either insert the table into a different (visible) part of the CAB-enhanced page, or automatically trigger the "show more" link when the table loads. I'll put it on the list.

zarqon

1.5 Update

Dear sister,

After having personally recommended that you try out BatMan RE, it was with much chagrin that I read your recent kmail informing me that you "keep getting the 'bad monster value: the naughty sorceress (BatMan_RE.ash, line 42)' error." And this after having solved the "beast with n eyes" error first on your own.

So I have spun this update just for you, which shall henceforth be known as the Sister Update. In addition to actually verifying, it contains some few other small improvements over the previous release.

First, dearest sister and astute Batman aficionado, thank you for pointing out that one of my Batman quotes contained incorrect Spanish. Batman simply does not use incorrect Spanish -- the very thought of it horrifies the mind -- so this was immediately rectified. Embarrassed apologies were also made to the Spanish-speaking community.

Secondly, I have solved an aforementioned CAB-compatibility issue. You did not actually aforemention it yourself; it was rather aforementioned by a forumite by the name of livercat. A simple line of jQuery did for it, removing the "hideform" class from the combat form and ensuring it is shown. No more constant clicking to reveal the Actions Table for CAB users.

And finally, dear sister, in addition to the previous glut of information made available through its use, BatMan RE now makes available the damage formulæ for actions with a damage formula in batfactors. Mousing over the damage column will display said formula.

I hope that you enjoy actually being able to try out the script which I had recommended to you earlier. My sinceriousest apologies for recommending a script which turned out to be in a state of mild disrepair, and I do hope that its long-term value to you functional far exceeds its short-term inconvenience while dysfunctional.

Love,
Brother Zarqon

Palinathas

OK, I THINK this is caused by BatMan RE, since I have only noticed it since upgrading same.

Disclaimer/caveat I had previously deleted adventure.ash to avoid the double adventuring issue, and I did NOT replace it when I upgraded to the new version.

What is happening is that I am adventuring through the Browser using BatMan RE, but watching the gCLI. I notice that at the END of every combat this happens (well each combat shows stats/items for the appropriate monster, not the same)

You acquire an item: sewer nuggets
After Battle: Tort bends its brim into an approximation of a smile.
You gain 16 Beefiness
You gain 17 Magicalness
You gain 44 Smarm
Look! You found 1 sewer nuggets (150μ)!
1 HP costs 0.17μ. ( 335 / 335 )
1 MP costs 4.818μ. ( 224 / 257 )
Factoring in Scarysauce: (6) damage, retal
ATT: 261 (6% × 22.66, death in 247)
DEF: 241 (95.45% × 45.07 (10), win in 7)
HP: 321, Value: 923.36 μ
Look! You found 2 sewer nuggets (300μ)!

If I had pickpocketed or rave-stolen something, that does not show up again, just the regular rewards.

tldr; Mafia seems to be doubling end of combat rewards from monsters!

zarqon

The "You acquire an item" message is from mafia, the "Look!" messages are from BatBrain. So you can see that mafia is correctly tracking your items received, as that message shows up only once. The incorrect second message from BatBrain is entirely harmless -- other than being confusing to see since it's inaccurate.

The problem happens because mafia sometimes displays a "Found in this fight: You acquire an item" message in the relay browser at the end of combat, even if said item acquisition happened on the same end-of-combat page. This message matches ASH's extract_items() when it is called on the combat page text, so BatBrain sees two items being acquired, though mafia does not (mafia parses the page before adding the second item acquisition message, whereas BatBrain parses the page after mafia adds the message).

I don't feel like this is a bug, since the message -- although basically pointless when you can see the item acquisition directly above the notification -- is not misleading. You really did acquire that item in this fight, after all! BatBrain probably ought to make some provision to ignore those extra messages from mafia, so I'll make that fix and it will be in the next update, which is coming incredibly soon.

tldr; Mafia is not doubling rewards, it's just printing the same reward twice, which confuses BatBrain and causes it to deliver confusing and inaccurate informational messages. Other than the confusion, it's harmless.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I don't feel like this is a bug.
I'm glad you feel like it's not a bug that the "Found in Fight" section includes every item found in the fight, including the last round, since it is intentional. :)

On the other hand, I wonder if extract_items() should know something about it. For example, if there is a "Found in Fight" section, extract those items and only those items. I wonder if we could put the whole "Found in Fight" section into its on div, or something, to make it easier to manipulate on its own; it was coded to be helpful in the Relay Browser without consideration that scripts might parse the decorated page.