QuackHax

chef noodleman

QuackHax [A Chat Override]

What does it do?
This is my submission to Gemelli's scripting contest, so it satisfies the requirements list here:http://forums.kingdomofloathing.com/vb/showthread.php?t=191311
Essentially you choose some people (or everyone) and about two thirds of everything they say will be replaced with the word quack. This will not quack people who are cold, *Brrr, or so sleazy I won't touch their comments, if you know what I mean....

Why would anyone want such a thing?
Good question. I wondered the same thing myself, but after testing it out the results are pretty hilarious. Also, for script authors this should hopefully be a good jumping off point for some other chat overrides. Maybe you're looking to buy [item] so all instances of [item] appearing in trade have their entire message appear in bright red bold font. Or something, I don't know, I just write the scripts. If nothing else, it's a way to ignore someone in a much funnier way than simply not seeing what they type at all.

Installation
(1) Put the all of the following into the Relay folder where you installed mafia:
  • lchat.ash
  • lchat.js
  • reset.css
  • QuackHax.css
  • relay_QuackHax.ash
(2) Make sure you are using the "older chat (an old friend)" in the KoL chat preferences.
(3) In the mafia relay preferences, make sure you have relay overrides enabled, but NOT the preference for reformatting incoming chat HTML to conform to web standards.

How to use it
(1) Open the QuackHax relay interface from the dropdown list in your top menu in the relay browser, and enter the chat if you're not already in it.
(2) Edit the form and press update. This should restart the chat and your new changes will* be in place.
(3) You can mouse over the quacked text to see what people are saying.

Compatibility with ActiveChat
This script is basically compatible with active chat, with one proviso. If the update button isn't refreshing the chat, you can do the following to get things working properly:
(1) Refresh the entire page.
(2) Go the QuackHax relay interface BEFORE entering the chat.
(3) Hit update once.
(4) Now enter the chat. From here on out things should* be working normally.

*If they aren't, hit update one more time.

Update
Results are in (tied with Lopey's greasemonkey script), so feedback is now welcome. An update that simplifies to the newly-built-in get_player_id function will be the first change.

Attachments

• lchat.ash
    1.7 KB · Views: 68
  • lchat.js
    3.1 KB · Views: 68
  • QuackHax.css
    858 bytes · Views: 71
  • relay_QuackHax.ash
    9 KB · Views: 68
  • reset.css
    855 bytes · Views: 66
Last edited:

chef noodleman

Screenshots

Screenshots of (1) the relay interface (2) quacked regular (older) chat (3) quacked ActiveChat. The larger red text illustrates the translation-on-mouse-over feature.

Attachments

• interface.png
    interface.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 120
  • classicChat.png
    classicChat.png
    124.2 KB · Views: 136
  • activeChat.png
    activeChat.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 133
Last edited: