Server Migration

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Server Migration is almost complete, the forums are up and running so if you can read this that means either A.) the move went through and you're viewing us via kolmafia.us or B.) You're viewing us through the temporary domain.

Currently the wiki is still not moved but will be shortly.

Edit: The wiki is on the new server now but we'll have to wait for the dns to propagate until you can see it.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like the domain migrated just fine, the wiki is acting up I'm going to try to upgrade it to the latest version to see if that helps.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=fewyn link=topic=1354.msg6242#msg6242 date=1196868842]
Looks like the domain migrated just fine, the wiki is acting up I'm going to try to upgrade it to the latest version to see if that helps.
[/quote]

Seems because of some of the spam the wiki has faced I'm going to have to figure out a way to get it back up and running with a clean install, will try to get some spam protection installed though. (Seems I'm hitting some kind of memory limit)

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=fewyn link=topic=1354.msg6244#msg6244 date=1196873973]

Seems because of some of the spam the wiki has faced I'm going to have to figure out a way to get it back up and running with a clean install, will try to get some spam protection installed though. (Seems I'm hitting some kind of memory limit)
[/quote]

After some extensive work and research the wiki is online. I've upgraded it to the latest version and am in the process of playing cleanup with the spammers then I'll see if I can find a way to stop them.

If you do see any spam on the site pm me the link to the page and I'll clean it up.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=fewyn link=topic=1354.msg6245#msg6245 date=1196884448]

After some extensive work and research the wiki is online. I've upgraded it to the latest version and am in the process of playing cleanup with the spammers then I'll see if I can find a way to stop them.

If you do see any spam on the site pm me the link to the page and I'll clean it up.
[/quote]

A Captcha has been installed on the wiki and I'm now in the process of playing cleanup.

gravymonkey

I have an issue and I hope you all can help.

I can login and view kolmafia.us from home just fine. However, ever since the migration, I have not been able to view this forum from work. When I try, all I get is the warning message stating that kolmafia.us is undergoing the changes/upgrades. Any idea why I can't view this forum from work?

Thanks in advance,
Erik

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=gravymonkey link=topic=1354.msg6257#msg6257 date=1196987308]
I have an issue and I hope you all can help.

I can login and view kolmafia.us from home just fine. However, ever since the migration, I have not been able to view this forum from work. When I try, all I get is the warning message stating that kolmafia.us is undergoing the changes/upgrades. Any idea why I can't view this forum from work?

Thanks in advance,
Erik

[/quote]

Because your work hasn't renewed the dns. Might take a couple more days for them.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
[quote author=fewyn link=topic=1354.msg6246#msg6246 date=1196888034]A Captcha has been installed on the wiki and I'm now in the process of playing cleanup.[/quote]
I found that a Captcha was inadequate to prevent spam registrations on my personal phpBB forums; OCR programs are just too good at picking out the text from the displayed image.

I installed an actual unexpected question which new registrants had to answer - with the answer available elsewhere in the forums, in a place which the "ask a question page" tells you about - and my spam registrations have dropped to zero.

fewyn

Administrator
Staff member
[quote author=Veracity link=topic=1354.msg6259#msg6259 date=1196989748]

I found that a Captcha was inadequate to prevent spam registrations on my personal phpBB forums; OCR programs are just too good at picking out the text from the displayed image.

I installed an actual unexpected question which new registrants had to answer - with the answer available elsewhere in the forums, in a place which the "ask a question page" tells you about - and my spam registrations have dropped to zero.
[/quote]

Haven't seen any bots yet hit the wiki since the installation of the captcha. If we do see some come and do it I'll see what alternatives mediawiki has.