Mafia not working

lildrummerninja

Hi guys,
So Mafia will open for me, but won't really do anything. To clarify, the relay browser or any other interfaces won't open. I don't know what's going on. I have re-downloaded mafia (still the same problem), and I do have the latest build. Hopefully somebody can help me out.

Thanks

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
You will have to be clearer on what happens. You launch Mafia, and get the Login window. After that, will mafia correctly log in? Does the login window disappear? Does the main GUI appear? If so, what does the gCLI output say?

lildrummerninja

You will have to be clearer on what happens. You launch Mafia, and get the Login window. After that, will mafia correctly log in? Does the login window disappear? Does the main GUI appear? If so, what does the gCLI output say?

nevermind, figured out the issue.

MsNicole

Won't launch

I couldn't find a thread dealing with the issue I'm having, so I'm resurrecting this one.

My "mafia not working" issue is that it just won't launch. I click on the icon, I see some activity in my hard drive, then nothing happens. neither the .jar nor .exe versions will launch.

I recently installed a new version of JRE, but mafia was working after that. Any ideas?

ETA:
I also tried putting the .jar version in a new folder. When I clicked on it, it created a "settings" folder, but none of the other usual folders.

Last edited:

Theraze

Version of mafia jar? Version of mafia exe? Version of Java? Version of OS?

Have you rebooted?

MsNicole

.jar version 11288, .exe version 15.3, WINXP, Java 6 update 33.

I also tried using system restore to go back to a time when mafia was working (as it was yesterday). No luck there, either.

holatuwol

Developer
If you open Command Prompt to the KoLmafia folder and type in:

Code:
java -jar KoLmafia-[version].jar

What happens?

MsNicole

If you open Command Prompt to the KoLmafia folder and type in:

Code:
java -jar KoLmafia-[version].jar

What happens?
OK, I found command prompt, and I found the path to the folder. Command prompt starts with the line "C:\ Documents and Settings\Nicole>." But when try to I enter the path to the Mafia folder, I get an error message saying that "c:\documents is not recognized as an internal or external command."

Which is a lot of words saying I don't know how to work command line in windows. Can you walk me through it?

Last edited:

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
OK, I found command prompt, and I found the path to the folder. Command prompt starts with the line "C:\ Documents and Settings\Nicole>." But when try to I enter the path to the Mafia folder, I get an error message saying that "c:\documents is not recognized as an internal or external command."

Which is a lot of words saying I don't know how to work command line in windows. Can you walk me through it?

The problem is the spaces in the folder path. You can put the entire path inside "" to handle that.

Theraze

If you know where the folder is, you could follow these steps to make it easier.
1) Open Windows Explorer and browsing to where you can see, but do not have the KoLmafia folder open. If it's on your desktop, just go to the next step.
2) Windows+R (Hold down the key with the flag on it, and then press R. Let go of both)
3) Type Cmd and press enter.
4) Type "cd " (cd and the spacebar) into the new black box.
5) Drag the folder icon from your KoLmafia folder into the black box. This should make it fully type out the folder location, including quotes if needed.
6) Press enter.
7) Type "java -jar kol*.jar" and press tab, then enter. This should look for Java files beginning with the letters KoL, skipping possible Ascension Log Virtualizers or other such things.

MsNicole

I followed the step-by-step in the above post, but I think I must be doing something wrong.

This is a copy of my command prompt session. Did I enter something incorrectly?

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nicole>cd "C:\Documents and Settings\Nicole\Applicatio
n Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Mafia"

C:\Documents and Settings\Nicole\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Qu
ick Launch\Mafia>"java-jar kol*.jar"
'"java-jar kol*.jar"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Nicole\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Qu
ick Launch\Mafia>cd "java -jar kol*.jar"
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

ick Launch\Mafia>

ETA:

Yes, I really keep my mafia files in the "quick launch" folder, so the problem isn't that I'm linking to shortcuts.

Last edited:

Theraze

Yep, missed the tab. Unless you changed your KoLmafia-11307.jar file to mymafia.jar or something weird like that... but I'd expect it to still be named KoLmafia-11288.jar instead...

MsNicole

When I press "tab," I get that windows "clunk" sound and nothing gets entered into the command prompt box. :/