Scripted ascending

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
I know I am not comparing apples and oranges, but I amused anyway and so am sharing.

I have a highly skilled multi that usually does HC ascensions and has been using bumcheekcity's script lately. I also have a less skilled multi that I have been using to test/support dj_d's Ascend, usually softcore. They both started a new run after Crimbo and both finished/ascended today. Both did the War without sidequests but otherwise I sacrificed optimality for automation at every chance to do so. Still, I am amused.

bumcheekcity

19 days? The script will knock out 5-day runs if you've got a bunch of skills, and I'm fairly sure I heard of a 7-day 0-skill run. How come it was so slow?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
19 days? The script will knock out 5-day runs if you've got a bunch of skills, and I'm fairly sure I heard of a 7-day 0-skill run. How come it was so slow?

Not sure. See my profile here if there is some Mr. Store item that doesn't have a good work around that I am lacking. I may be making several suboptimal choices on settings. While it is supposed to be zero configuration out of the box, it is quite possible that some settings have changed for reasons long forgotten. I'm using UR but no counter script. My UR settings might also need to be tweaked to better support BCC Ascend. I know I had a lot of meat management problems. I did not recall that there was an ignore moods option (until I started a run this morning) so when it aborted because there was no meat to buy whatever was needed I would manually do something to get meat. I used EatDrink to eat and drink but my diet was pretty sparse. I'm sure my combat settings weren't great. I suppose, though what I should really do is revisit an Ascension Log tool and see what it tells me.

Edit: I ran the log visualizer. I generated 782 turns from eating, 889 from drinking and 700 from rollover. That seems low. 1002 turns on the island war and 220 on Cobb's Knob Quest. That may be inflated since the Treasury is my default low/mid level place to get meat.

Last edited:

tgetgel

They both started a new run after Crimbo and both finished/ascended today. Both did the War without sidequests but otherwise I sacrificed optimality for automation at every chance to do so. Still, I am amused.

Amusing, yes, since BCC's script is set up to be run after you are level 13, whereas dj_d's Ascend is from scratch.

bumcheekcity

Let me assure you that my script is really designed to be run from the start. Starting an ascend script only after the NS had been defeated would seem a tad lazy.

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
So I looked at the run noted above and I spent a lot of time in the Knob Kitchens. I just realized I have burned over 200 turns in the Kitchens on this run as well. The conditions were set to Knob frosting and I had the Guard outfit. I decided this was a hiccup with the script so I manually put on the outfit, adventured in the kitchens and got the pan, batter and frosting in the first three adventures. I then manually finished off the King. I will go back and revisit my logs (so I can make this a bug report) but I figure something is not right. Perhaps it wasn't really wearing the Elite Guard Outfit?

Theraze

Any chance (sight unseen) the script is first wearing the outfit, then maximizing which causes it to go unequipping a part of the outfit?

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Any chance (sight unseen) the script is first wearing the outfit, then maximizing which causes it to go unequipping a part of the outfit?

That was my hunch, too, and guess what? We're right. The excerpt below is from today's session and the character is already wearing

Code:
 > equipment

Hat: Knob Goblin elite helm
Weapon: (none)
Off-hand: (none)
Shirt: Knob Goblin elite shirt
Pants: Knob Goblin elite pants

Acc. 1: Baron von Ratsworth's monocle
Acc. 2: Boss Bat bling
Acc. 3: time halo

Pet: Dataspider (35 lbs)
Item: solid state loom

so all it needs is the polearm, which it equips and then unequips.

Code:
 > BCC: We have not completed the stage [knobking].
 > BCC: Maximizing '+outfit knob goblin elite guard uniform'

equip weapon Knob Goblin elite polearm

equip acc3 shiny ring
 > BCC: Your familiar is set to a 100% Data Spider
> Nothing to fax according to whatShouldIFax

gnomes.php?action=changedial&whichlevel=0
 > BCC: Getting the Knob Frosting

equip weapon Mace of the Tortoise
 > BCC: You don't have a shield. It might be better to get one. 
 > BCC: Setting goals of '1 knob frosting'...
 > BCC: We should set the MCD if we can.
 > BCC: We CAN set the MCD.

I wonder if the absence of a shield is an issue?

Winterbay

Yeah, there s a bug report on the on sourceforge, the problem is that the script is forcing you to have a shield together with a two-handed weapon which doesn't work.

Winterbay

I tracked down the issue and have updated the SVN-version with a quick band-aid solution to the problem. I'll think about a prettier solution later on, but now it shouldn't do that anymore at least, or I hope so at least. I'll see tomorrow when I get to that part myself.