ASH reference

Jt

Not sure if anyone has seen it yet but the ASH reference wiki has a bunch of spam and is missing the information on a couple pages. I'm not a wiki person or I'm sure it's not that hard to clean up :)

Thanks,
JT

hippymon

Yes, yes, I have noticed this a lot lately... I have tried my darnedest to fix the sites whenever it is spammed... But it sure would be nice if there were some way holatuwola could block 'visitors' from editing pages.. But I am not sure if that is possible...

izchak

Is it possible to block anonymous edits?
It seems to me that most of the spamming on the wiki is all done with anonymous edits. For those who actually want to contribute to the wiki, creating an account isn't exactly hard.

As for shutting down the wiki, I appreciate the wiki as a valuable resource, and find myself consulting it fairly often. It's especially useful for someone who wants to learn ASH scripting without reading the source or just copy-pasting from other's scripts. Although the wiki is somewhat out of date, I would be saddened to see it shut down due to spambots abusing the anonymous editing facility.

Jt

I agree the reference is very useful, but I guess it doesn't need to be a wiki if it is not maintained by many people (If we can't disable the anonymous updates :) ).

JT

holatuwol

Developer
Unfortunately, I don't have a wiki account, so I can't do a thing about anonymous edits or things like that, but I *believe* I can get rid of it entirely.

macman104

[quote author=holatuwol link=topic=1216.msg5716#msg5716 date=1189386767]
Unfortunately, I don't have a wiki account, so I can't do a thing about anonymous edits or things like that, but I *believe* I can get rid of it entirely.[/quote]This might not be a popular suggestion, but is this something we need to ask daychilde about? Not really sure how things stand with him, but...yea, we need someone who has wikiadmin powers I believe. Whether it's being kept up-to-date or not (I haven't updated it forever, whoops), I guess people are finding it at least partially useful and would like to keep it. So....yea, thoughts?

SeiferTim

You can make a Wiki require a valid login to make edits... I think you can also restrict edits to Admins only.

EEPiccolo

It's actually really easy to make reverts. The instructions are on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Reverting#How_to_revert

You don't need an account to do reverts. Anyway, who's in charge of the Wiki? It doesn't look like you're getting any content from unregistered users, so you should probably require registration to edit the pages.

I'm a long time user of KoLmafia, but I'm just starting to get into scripting (for my multi's that I use to spade). What's on the Wiki so far looks great, so I hope you don't take it down.

Metraxis

Writing docs is hard, and a wiki is probably a good idea, but as it stands, it is unfortunately useless in large part. Having an admin restrict anonymous edits should solve the problem, though, or at least make it tractable.

TLDR Version: I agree.