Relay browser not loading

Winterbay

I have a problem at work in which the relay browser won't load when I click on the button. It opens up a new nice tab in Firefox but it doesn't load anything in it. I recently got "promoted" to a new web filter here so I was wondering if anyone has any idea if that could cause this type of strange behaviour?
I mean I can play just fine via Mafia's main interface and I can log in just fine to native KoL, it's just that the proxy relay browser won't load anymore.

If the web filter is for soem reason blocking the relay browser does anyone know of a way in which I could a) see if this is the case and b) change anything to get around it or am I bound to only use scripts and automating (and possibly the minibrowser) for a while now?

Bale

Minion
I recently got "promoted" to a new web filter here so I was wondering if anyone has any idea if that could cause this type of strange behaviour?

Yes, it can.

If the web filter is for soem reason blocking the relay browser does anyone know of a way in which I could a) see if this is the case and b) change anything to get around it

You didn't bother to tell us anything about this web filter, including its name, so I can just give the general (and somewhat obvious) advice that you should put 127.0.0.1 on the safe list and make sure port 60080 is allowed.

Winterbay

Yes, it can.

I thought so.

You didn't bother to tell us anything about this web filter, including its name, so I can just give the general (and somewhat obvious) advice that you should put 127.0.0.1 on the safe list and make sure port 60080 is allowed.

I didn't since I do not have any power over it unfortunately. It is apparently called Scansafe (www.scansafe.com). The interesting thing is that if I go to a page that I'm not allowed to access (say Livejournal) I get a screen stating that it is a blocked site and the category it's been put in. When I load the relay browser I get a white page. But I guess, if they disallow access via port 60080 then that would be expected and there won't be very much I can do (not really going to go up to IT and say "Hey, can I have this port back so that i can play more games while at work" :)).

matt.chugg

I thought so.

I didn't since I do not have any power over it unfortunately. It is apparently called Scansafe (www.scansafe.com). The interesting thing is that if I go to a page that I'm not allowed to access (say Livejournal) I get a screen stating that it is a blocked site and the category it's been put in. When I load the relay browser I get a white page. But I guess, if they disallow access via port 60080 then that would be expected and there won't be very much I can do (not really going to go up to IT and say "Hey, can I have this port back so that i can play more games while at work" :)).

I'd have thought that accessing localhost/127.0.0.1 wouldn't go via the gateway where i'd expect the filter to be running (regardless of the port). since mafia itself works it seems unlikely that the filter is blocking access via ip addresses

Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Matt>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [209.85.147.147]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     3 ms    <1 ms     1 ms  homeportal [192.168.1.254] <-- gateway
  2     2 ms    27 ms    26 ms  ^C
C:\Users\Matt>tracert localhost

Tracing route to vgMatt [::1]

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  vgMatt [::1]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Matt>tracert 127.0.0.1

Tracing route to vgMatt [127.0.0.1]

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  vgMatt [127.0.0.1]

Trace complete.

Maybe take a quick look in the hosts file to see if localhost/127.0.0.1 has been set to resolve to the gateway?

its possibly that windows firewall is blocking that port though, if you are in a domain environment you won't be able to change that.

if you create a test file in the relay folder called test.html with some text in, and (after launcing mafia and starting relay browser) navigate to http://localhost:60080/test.html or http://127.0.0.1:60080/test.html does it display the content in the html file?

What could be happening is that the relay browser is asking mafia for a page, mafia then asks the server for the page, the page mafia gets back doesn't look right because its blocked (or the connection is refused), so mafia doesn't send any output to the relay browser? Is that a possibilty?

Of course without knowing the system setup, its hard to know if anything I just typed is relevant!

PLEASE NOTE: if you are at work, and not a network admin, I can't reccomend running tracerts, pings, or editing the host file or any other network settings as this may actually be in breach of your employment contract.

Last edited:

Winterbay

I'd have thought that accessing localhost/127.0.0.1 wouldn't go via the gateway where i'd expect the filter to be running (regardless of the port). since mafia itself works it seems unlikely that the filter is blocking access via ip addresses

Maybe take a quick look in the hosts file to see if localhost/127.0.0.1 has been set to resolve to the gateway?

The host file seems to contain only one entry, and that is to define localhost

its possibly that windows firewall is blocking that port though, if you are in a domain environment you won't be able to change that.

Yes, that may have been changed recently as well I guess which would indeed make things difficult.

if you create a test file in the relay folder called test.html with some text in, and (after launcing mafia and starting relay browser) navigate to http://localhost:60080/test.html or http://127.0.0.1:60080/test.html does it display the content in the html file?

Nope, nothing happens. Just the same white nothingness as with the relay browser.

Of course without knowing the system setup, its hard to know if anything I just typed is relevant!

Yes, and that's always the trouble with troubleshooting on forums isn't it :)
We run windows XP professional on a network that is slightly underdesigned for what it's used for, but hey it's a company so that's not very surprising is it?
I'm not sure I could give you enough system relevant data to acually troubleshoot it enough because I wouldn't know where to look or possibly not have the rights to look at it.

PLEASE NOTE: if you are at work, and not a network admin, I can't reccomend running tracerts, pings, or editing the host file or any other network settings as this may actually be in breach of your employment contract.

Well yes, I hop ethat if I do something the IT-department really doesn't like they come over and talk to me seeing as I sit 2 rooms away from them. Also, this conversation is most likely logged somewhere allready...

Last edited by a moderator: