New KoL-Server configuration

ki77bot

Hi there,

easy (and maybe even silly?) question:

Is it possible to open multiple sessions of KoLmafia without screwing up the preferences of each character?

edit: erm --- also chat with multiple characters at once

(Sorry, if this has been adressed before...)

Cheers,
ki77bot

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
It is. KoLMafia instances that run from the same folder only share the preferences in /settings/GLOBAL_prefs.txt.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
It is. KoLMafia instances that run from the same folder only share the preferences in /settings/GLOBAL_prefs.txt.
And, since there is no file locking, depending on the OS, you will corrupt that file if both characters happen to want to write to it at the same time. There's a thread somewhere around in which hola explains why we allows two characters to log in at once (and why we can't use file locking); if I recall, it was to prevent you from being locked out from running a character if KoLmafia erroneously thought you were already running it, or something - NOT to routinely allow multiple characters to be running at the same time.

Regardless of what some people have said here, it is NOT "safe" to run even two instances at once, even though KoLmafia allows it. Do so at your own risk.

matt.chugg

And, since there is no file locking, depending on the OS, you will corrupt that file if both characters happen to want to write to it at the same time. There's a thread somewhere around in which hola explains why we allows two characters to log in at once (and why we can't use file locking); if I recall, it was to prevent you from being locked out from running a character if KoLmafia erroneously thought you were already running it, or something - NOT to routinely allow multiple characters to be running at the same time.

Regardless of what some people have said here, it is NOT "safe" to run even two instances at once, even though KoLmafia allows it. Do so at your own risk.

By "depending on the OS," do you mean that on windows, Mafia creates all the directories and settings it needs relative to the .jar file. If you put 2 copies of the .jar file in 2 separate folders then it would create 2 sets of configurations relative to the .jar file.

Would if be safe to run those 2 separate instances (with the point made that settings files would be per-instance for globals, and per-user-per-instance for the user settings)?

ki77bot

So, if I keep locations for different multis separated, I will not only be able to run multiple instances of Mafia at one (at own risk!?), but also have multiple chats open for the different multis?

slyz

Developer
On windows, if you have two different Mafia folders, there is no risk whatsoever of one corrupting the other's preferences. And yes, they can both chat.