item lists from text files?

razorboy

I was just wondering if ash has the ability to open text files and pull input from them.

I was thinking of writing an inventory manipulation script, but I don't really want a gigantic list of items in it... plus I would like to reuse the item list.

Is this possible?

xKiv

(Why can't we just use arrays?)

Those are effectively (same interface) just integer-indexed maps (with optimized implementation).
Unless you want static arrays, where you have to know how many items you are storing even *before* you store the firts one.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
You want arrays? ASH has them. An array can be considered to be a map that has integer keys numbered from 0 to <n>.

Code:
string [int] MyMap;
string [6] MyArray;

MyMap[5] = "this works";
MyMap[100] = "this too";

MyArray[5] = "this works too";

foreach i, s in MyMap
  print( "MyMap[" + i + "] = " + s );

foreach i, s in MyArray
  print( "MyArray[" + i + "] = " + s );

int index = 100;

MyArray[index] = "this generates a runtime error";
does this:

> ma.ash

MyMap[5] = this works
MyMap[100] = this too
MyArray[0] =
MyArray[1] =
MyArray[2] =
MyArray[3] =
MyArray[4] =
MyArray[5] = this works too
Array index out of bounds (ma.ash, line 17)

razorboy

Awesome! Something I understand! Thanks Veracity!

Back to the file thing:
If someone has admin access to the wiki, they may want to add to the "file_to_map()" entry that the items in the file need to be tab-separated (at least on Windows). It's not readily apparent in the example, and I tried to use spaces... which didn't work.

Bale

Minion
That information should definitely be added.

If someone has admin access to the wiki, they may want to add to the "file_to_map()" entry that the items in the file need to be tab-separated (at least on Windows). It's not readily apparent in the example, and I tried to use spaces... which didn't work.

Admin access is not necessary. Anyone can add to the wiki. (It's a wiki!) Though it would be nice if you created an account before editing the wiki, just so we know it's you.

Edit: Added info, but perhaps there is a better way of stating it.

Last edited:

philmasterplus

You want arrays? ASH has them. An array can be considered to be a map that has integer keys numbered from 0 to <n>.

Code:
string [6] MyArray;

Hmm, never knew that syntax before. That opens a slew of questions:
  1. Do they work with floating-point numbers or strings? (i. e. string [ "stm" ] a_map; string [ 12.5 ] some_map; )
  2. Do they work multidimensionally? (i. e. string [5, 5] multi_dim_array; )
  3. Are they internally treated differently from normal maps? If so, I feel it should be discussed as a separate data type in the wiki.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
1. Arrays in this context can only be indexed by integer.
2. Yes, try it out yourself!
Code:
ash string [5, 5] multi_dim_array; foreach i,m in multi_dim_array print(i+":"+m)
3. I have no idea, although I do recall JH mentioning that maps, arrays, and datatype constants are the three implementations of aggregates in KoLmafia. Probably a yes?