safePull.ash - protecting you from yourself

chef noodleman

safePull 1.0

If you've ever pulled a mon tiki instead of a mae west as a disco bandit, then perhaps this script is for you. The main idea:

safePull will act as a filter between you and Hagnk's, checking for common mistakes and double checking with you if it sees anything amiss. To use it, save safepull.ash to your scripts folder and then in the CLI just type

"safepull <optional number> <name fragment>"

instead of the usual

"pull <optional number> <name fragment>".

If safePull finds something unusual about your pull request, it will raise a red flag, telling you what it finds suspicious about the request and then asking if you'd like to pull the item(s) anyway.

safePull raises a red flag when:

-pulling food/booze/spleen when you already have some of that same thing in your inventory
-pulling more food/booze/spleen (at once) than you can actually use that day
-pulling food/booze that primarily boosts a stat that is not your main stat
-pulling food/booze/spleen that you don't meet the level requirements to consume
-pulling equipment that you don't meet the stat requirements to equip
-pulling more copies of an item than you can equip (e.g. pulling 4 C.A.R.N.I.V.O.R.E. buttons or two haiku katanas if you don't have double-fisted)

What it won't do:

It will not recognize every item, but should recognize most of them and uses mafia's fuzzy matching so name fragments are okay. If it doesn't like the fragment you typed, try again with more of the full item name. It will not remember to type "safepull" instead of "pull" so you're on your own for that. It will not check for items that have an inherent equip limit. For instance, it won't bat an eye if you try to pull 2 vivala masks. There's no replacement for human intelligence, so be smart, but if you do occasionally make a mistake this *might* save you from wasting a pull or two.

If you'd like to play around with it in aftercore just to see what it does, look at the last few lines of the script and replace the line

PHP:
can_pull(toPull, quantity);

with

PHP:
// can_pull(toPull, quantity);

or else it will just tell you that you have no pulls left. Then delete the double-backslash again when you're ready to use it in ronin.

If you like this enough to have it completely take over the role usually played by the "pull" command, just type

"alias pull => safepull %%"

into the CLI, and type "unalias pull" to revert.

I have a lot of ideas for improving this, and may not get to those for a while, but any suggestions in that regard would be welcome. Lastly, this is a work in progress by an amateur, beginner scripter, so its probably rife with inefficiencies and lacks best practices. Any input about that would be greatly appreciated as well.

P.S. If by some fluke this does turn out to be really useful for people, I'm working on my red balloon trophy. :)

Attachments

• safePull.ash
    11.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

chef noodleman

Interesting idea!

Thanks - I thought more people would take advantage of this though. Maybe I undersold it in the OP. Is it just that no one cares about making mistakes until its too late? Or that no one ascends softcore anymore? Oh well - maybe its just ahead of its time... :p

P.S. One of those its's in the previous sentence clearly needs a apostrophe, but I'm far too lazy to figure out which one. The ghost of the English language would cry, but there it is.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
It seems like a very useful script, and from what I read it looks like it makes reasonable and helpful decisions. Too bad I'm HC for life!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
Ditto. HC here. Might look at if I get bored and do SC but I'd probably have to so something stupid before I appreciated your work.