Adventure Advisor

Bale

Minion
[size=+1]Adventure Advisor 3.0[/size]

This cute relay UI script will display all adventuring locations in the Kingdom along with information on safe adventuring.

Right now you might be thinking, "Sure, but I could always just check the Safe Adventuring page on the KoL wiki. Right?" That page is certainly nice, but this is better in several ways:

• During ascension can customize the list to only show you areas that are relevant to your current or near future situation. This helps streamline the decision process for you next turn.
  • It considers your current monster level and allows you to modify MCD while looking at the list.
  • It color codes the chart based on your currently buffed stat to tell you if you're safe, mostly safe, risky or in terrible danger.
  • Hides zones that you chose to check off because you completed them or dislike them.
  • Lists boss information as an addendum to each location when the player can choose to avoid them.
  • You can choose to sort by either muscle or moxie. That makes it useful for muscle classes also, especially with Hero of the Half-Shell.
  • Every entry on the chart is a link to adventure in that location making it a breeze to navigate the kingdom.
  • Sorts by stat, location or by adventuring zone, to make it easy to find any destination and its neighbors.

Give it a try. It makes manual adventuring more fun when deciding where to go next. Just download it to your /relay folder and you'll be able to access it from the lower right corner of your browser's top menu. Enjoy.

Below is an image of the display just after reading the McGuffin Diary. I haven't visited the Daily Dungeon yet today or gotten my third key...

nW2Dq.png

[size=+1]Download Instructions:[/size]
Distribution has migrated over to SVN. With a current daily build, please copy/paste the following line into KoLmafia's CLI:
Code:
svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/bale/advisor/code/

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
  • 6/09 v0.9
    First release
  • 6/09 v0.91
    Store settings in file instead of preferences
  • 6/12 v0.93
    Fix bug that loses all hidden location information.
    Improvements to version check.
    Saves more settings.
  • 6/12 v0.94
    Add "sort by Location"
  • 6/14 v0.99
    Add "hide No-Quest locations".
    Add buttons for "check all", "uncheck all" and "check green locations".
    Fixed several bugs.
  • 6/16 v1.0
    Lots of special case handling added.
  • 6/23 v1.1
    Color code boss difficulty.
    Nemesis Location handling.
  • 6/28 v1.2
    Added boss name even if the zone is only the boss.
  • 6/29 v1.25
    Refactored several sections of code.
  • 7/9 v1.26
    Fixed a bug that prevented you from un-checking a location when checking "Hide Checked Locations"
  • 2011/1/12 1.27
    Several minor code fixes
    Monster defense is only 90% of attack. KoLmafia now knows this and so does AdventureAdvisor.
    Junkyard & McMillicancuddy's Farm are fixed for both Wartime and aftercore usage.
  • 2011/1/25 1.28
    Accounts for tower items when you don't have a telescope.
  • 2011/2/16 1.29
    Small fix for KoL's Cobbs Knob revamp.
  • 2011/5/4 1.30
    Mostly code refactoring.
  • 2011/5/23 1.4
    Valhalla Revamp!
    Fixed a color coding bug

Last edited:

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Wow, looks great! (Unfortunately, since I'm in aftercore, I don't really have any use for it at the moment, but this seems like a really cool tool in-run.)

slyz

Developer
Nice! I haven't looked at the internals yet, but are you planning on expanding it? I can see a lot of ascension relevance if fighting strategies other than plinking are taken into account (shieldbutt in my case, but spellslinging might be worth it too): will I kill the monsters in a zone with my current initiative and ML if I have only 1 turn of noodles and shieldbutt him?

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
That would quickly become complicated. If you're using a bander, that's 3 extra rounds of stunning for shieldbutt, or 1 extra round for spellslinging. If you're using a bugged bugbear, its potato function might give you more rounds to kill the enemy. Expanding to softcore, a navel ring can also block. So can some familiars in the crown of thrones.

Bale

Minion
Honestly I hadn't thought of adding any of that. If I was going to go that far, then perhaps I should wait until zarqon finishes BatMan and have my script call BatMan to calculate the cost of fighting in each zone. Then I could sort by BatMan's values. I admit that it'd be interesting.

For now, it should be enough that the script sorts zones by monster's attack/defense and let the user decide what is too dangerous based on that metric.

Right now the internals still need a bit of work. It's only just gotten to the point that I can consider being proud of it. The ability to hide locations at will was surprisingly tricky and held me back for a while. I've decided I'm a little bit unhappy with a few things and I'll work on them, but I really wanted to release it already, so I made a 0.9 beta release. I doubt anyone will notice the difference between that and my final 1.0 unless they look at the code.

Probably the cutest thing is my version update code. It's a nice idea for how version checking should work on a UI script. Check it out. (lines 124-144)

Last edited:
I am getting, Bad monster value: "Baron Von Ratsworth" (relay_AdventureAdvisor.ash, line 276)

Using KolMafia version r8459 (newer than 14.0). Do I need to upgrade? What is the minimum that it supports (if you happen to know).

FYI, I just got rid of that Case statement after trying various permutations of the name. It then kicked in and worked.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Searching through the SVN, the only revision I see (that is newer than your current version and has something to do with monsters) is r8474. If that doesn't work, try clearing your data files.

Bale

Minion
I agree with the laughing one. You must have a problem with your data files. use update clear

Spiny

This script... is awesomesauce! Made practical use of it last night in my HC run. My only criticism at this point is having to click checkboxes to make certain zones disappear and then unclick the check boxes when I want everything showing again. After a bit I stopped clicking checkboxes and started scrolling again lol. I'm not sure what would suit me better... maybe something like if you can totally squish things, optionally don't show it. I'm only interested in areas that are questionable or total doom setting. These are small small things that I can live with as is, I do love that you put this together for us to use :D Thank you!

Bale

Minion
My only criticism at this point is having to click checkboxes to make certain zones disappear and then unclick the check boxes when I want everything showing again. After a bit I stopped clicking checkboxes and started scrolling again lol.
I've got a option at the top to show all the hidden locations. Did you miss that, or do I misunderstand the problem?

Spiny

I've got a option at the top to show all the hidden locations. Did you miss that, or do I misunderstand the problem?

Oh I saw the option and then manually unclicked all the checkboxes. Silly I know, but seeing them checkmarked when I didn't want them checkmarked anymore was bugging me. Maybe a check all/clear all check marks button, if that's possible? I'd like to just filter out the green areas sometimes, but not all the time. Does that make any sense?

Bale

Minion
Maybe a check all/clear all check marks button, if that's possible?
That's on my to-do list.

I'd like to just filter out the green areas sometimes, but not all the time. Does that make any sense?
Not sure? Are you suggesting a "check all green locations" button?

Just in time for my decree to only do hardcore runs from now on. This makes me smile. Thank you Bale.

Any day I make halfvoid smile is a good day.

Bale

Minion
Released version 0.99!

Maybe a check all/clear all check marks button, if that's possible? I'd like to just filter out the green areas sometimes, but not all the time. Does that make any sense?

Added all that. Also added the ability to filer out non-questing locations. Also fixed a couple of bugs. Also increased the script's general Awesomeness level.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Yay! This script has finally assumed it's true form. I'm calling it version 1.0 now.

I hope it makes manual adventuring funner for others as it does for me.

BTW, with this version, the zone link for a Uncle P's map will take you straight to that map.

Adventure_Advisor.png

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Version 1.1 Released

It now knows where you class goes to fight your nemesis and the name of that nemesis. More generally useful is that bosses are now color coded for their danger level:

Adventure_Advisor_2.png

Last edited: