AutoOlfact...

T_E

Apologies if this is answered elsewhere already- I did a search and didn't uncover it (except for a bug report, which didn't answer my question sadly)

I was reading through SinginSally's awesome guide and noticed something called AutoOlfact listed in one of Bale's images:

http://wiki.kolmafia.us/index.php?title=File:Lesson8_GoalAdventure.png

I haven't been able to find this feature in mafia. Will somebody please enlighten me as to how this feature works? Is it a script I'm missing/not using? Thanks in advance!

slyz

Developer
When autoOlfact is set, Mafia will automatically olfact when you are auto-adventuring (or when you use the script button in the relay browser during a fight). Of course, this is if combat is set up so that special actions are executed.

You can set autoOlfact to trigger on:
  • a monster name (or partial match)
  • a specific item or items (the first monster you encounter that drops one will be olfacted)
  • your current goals (the first monster you encounter that drops one will be olfacted)

Once autoOlfaction is triggered, it is reset (thus the 'one time automatic olfaction').

There are several ways to set autoOlfact:
  • With a CLI command: by doing olfact monster <monstername>, olfact <item name(s)> or olfact goals either in the gCLI or a CLI script.
  • In the GUI: right-click in the "Special" section, select 'one time automatic olfaction' and enter monster <monstername>, <item name(s)> or goals.
  • In an ASH script, by setting the autoOlfact property: set_property("autoOlfact","monster <monstername>"); or any other commands showed just above.
  • In an ASH script, by using cli_execute() with CLI's olfact command: cli_execute("olfact monster <monstername>"); or any other commands showed just above.

In all cases, you can add 'abort' at the end of the command to make Mafia stop auto-adventuring once a monster is olfacted.

T_E

Holy crow... I didn't know that box contained other options- I'd never clicked it. o_O. That's awesome- thanks for the help.

Bale

Minion
Holy crow... I didn't know that box contained other options- I'd never clicked it. o_O. That's awesome- thanks for the help.

Added the answer to your question on that page. Sorry about the confusion. I meant to add that information to go with my illustration, but forgot.

Bale

Minion
Only 50 more lucre and I get to explore this functionality for myself. Go Go Bad-Moon Cycle!! :)

:D

It's hard to say that it is worth 200 days of work and wait, but it's still the coolest skill in the game. You're in the end-run now so you can start counting the days.

Yvain

I've been using auto-olfaction for a month or so since I got the skill but recently it has stopped working for me. As no one else has complained about this I assume I've changed something somewhere. When slyz says
Of course, this is if combat is set up so that special actions are executed.
what do I need to do to set this up? But however other special actions are executed such as entangling noodles or cure poison do work for me. Anything I should check?

Bale

Minion
That quote is referring to using a CCS. If you're not using a CCS you can ignore it. If you are using a CCS, then you need a line that says "Special Action"

slyz

Developer
Mafia will execute special actions automatically if you choose a skill from the "Action" dropdown, but in a CCS you have to put in "Special Action" on one of the rounds at least.

Yvain

Hmm my problem has gotten worse. Now Mafia doesn't use olfaction at all for me. Even when I put it in a CSS script it just ignores that line. When I type 'skills' in the CLI it lists it there. I tried going back to an older jar file where I knew it worked and it doesn't work with that one anymore either. Has there been some recent, possibly in game change, related to olfaction?

slyz

Developer
It works when you are fighting through the Relay browser though? I think I had the problem of autoOlfact not working because Mafia didn't macroify the "Special Action" line in a CCS, although I have yet to confirm this and post a feature request.

Yvain

Not sure I explained that correctly. The only way I can use olfaction is to manually adventure in the relay browser and select it as a skill.
It won't work when I:
* use auto-olfaction and autoadventure
* set skill to olfaction and autoadventure
* put a line in a CSS script: skill transcendent olfaction, and autoadventure
* click script in the relay browser when any of the above are set.
It feels like Mafia thinks I don't have the skill. Maybe something odd is happening in initial logging in/parsing my character? I've also noticed it no longer thinks I have several other things (telescope, hot tub and pool have disappeared from daily deeds).

Last edited:

xKiv

You are in Bad Moon. That's your culprit.
Have you
- defeated the NS?
- released the king?
- recalled ancestral memories?
- restarted mafia?

Winterbay

I had trouble getting Mafia to accept that I had a telescope as well since I upgraded it while under the BM sign, it also failed to cast BRICKOs for me in any way unless I did it via the relaybrowser. I am guessing this is a similar problem. I do not remember if the BRICKO thing was fixed in one of the detection changes recently though. Will try to check that when I surface from the current PM BM run.

Yvain

I've defeated the NS and released the king and recalled my memories and certainly restarted mafia since doing that. But it couldn't be that anyway as I only picked up olfaction this aftercore and it had been working correctly earlier in this aftercore.

It very much seems Mafia doesn't recognise that I have the skill.

With the following CSS:

[ default ]
1: skill transcendent olfaction
2: attack with weapon

After making sure I have removed On the Trail I get:

Using soft green whatever...
On the Trail removed.
Validating adventure sequence...
Requests complete.

Visit to Beanstalk: Giant's Castle in progress...

[25132] Giant's Castle
Encounter: Possibility Giant
Strategy: E:\dist\ccs\sniff.ccs [default]
Round 0: yvain wins initiative!
Round 1: yvain executes a macro!
Round 1: yvain attacks!
Round 2: possibility giant takes 1547 damage.
Round 2: Monkey Hobo's bells jingle merrily
Round 2: Monkey Hobo climbs up and sits on your shoulder, and hands you some Meat. Huh, where did he find that?
You gain 83 Meat.
After Battle: Monkey Hobo sits on your fallen opponent's body, blows a smoke ring, and winks at you.
You gain 806 Meat
You acquire an item: probability potion
You acquire an item: chaos butterfly
You gain 9 Beefiness
You gain 24 Magicalness
You gain 5 Roguishness

Requests complete.

Last edited:

Yvain

I usually have over 2000 mp so its not a lack of MP.
Here is the output from the CCS i listed above with set macroDebug = true.

Visit to Manor1: Haunted Gallery in progress...

[25358] Haunted Gallery
Encounter: cubist bull
Strategy: F:\dist\ccs\sniff.ccs [default]
Round 0: yvain wins initiative!
Generated macro:
sub mafiaround
endsub#mafiaround
sub mafiamp
****if hascombatitem 347
********call mafiaround; use 347
********goto mafiampexit
****endif
****call mafiaround; use 518
****mark mafiampexit
endsub#mafiamp
#mafiaheader
mark mafiafinal
call mafiaround; attack
goto mafiafinal

Round 1: yvain executes a macro!
Round 1: yvain attacks!
Round 2: cubist bull takes 1570 damage.
After Battle: Honkey Mobo sits on your fallen opponent's body, blows a smoke ring, and winks at you.
You gain 1120 Meat
You acquire an item: non-Euclidean hoof
You gain 9 Strengthliness
You gain 14 Enchantedness
You gain 8 Sarcasm

Item 347 is Dyspepsi-Cola which i have some of and item 518 is MMJ which I also have. Not that I that matters from my reading of the macro.

jasonharper

Developer
Ok, the only conditions under which mafia would completely omit the olfaction from the macro are that you are in Bad Moon and haven't recalled skills, or that you have On the Trail active.

Was this a BM ascension, and if so, have you freed the king?
Does typing:
in_bad_moon
in the CLI say "true"?

Yvain

This was a BM ascension. I've defeated the NS, freed the king and recalled my memories. I've doubled checked that and I see a gash not a prism and I can summon cocktail gear so memories are recalled. Additionally I only learnt olfaction this aftercore.
I definately check that On the Trail is not active before trying to use auto-olfaction or use olfaction in a script.

Typing in_bad_moon does return true.

Olfaction (both auto and in scripts) used to work with mafia but then stopped working (without changing my scripts or version) and going back to older version doesn't help so I would guess that KoL changed something.