Feature Pyramid Awareness of Wheel State in Relay

NardoLoopa

It would be nice if when you turned the wheel (or used a ratchet) that the resulting page included the current wheel state. Something like "1 turn to go for Bomb acquisition". So you don't have to reload the Pyramid map image to check -- and so you don't get confused about where you are in the cycle.

lostcalpolydude

Developer
Staff member
When you turn the wheel, the pyramid loads, showing the current state of the lower chamber. I don't know why it wouldn't show up like that for you.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Why, since it is already built-in? As lost says, when you turn the wheel, we display the new position of the pyramid for you.

NardoLoopa

As mentioned in the OP I think it would be nice if it translated what the map means into words like "1 more turn for the bomb." It would be also nice for this to work for Ratchets.

StDoodle

Minion
I never turn the wheel (except maybe once, if everything goes to crap); I always use ratchets (HC4LYF, btw). FWIW, I also never use ratchets on the CLI (except the last batch), as HCN has a bit of paranoia on that particular issue, after lag ate the results of two players' attempts to use ratchets in a short period of time, and both ended up killing a few dozen turns...

Bale

Minion
Makes me nervous also. It might be nice if there was a [turn ratchet] link on that page which updates the image of the chamber when you click it.

xKiv

Makes me nervous also. It might be nice if there was a [turn ratchet] link on that page which updates the image of the chamber when you click it.

Yes, please.
Also, only show that link if
1) the current wheel position isn't "nice"
OR
2) you already have this position's result

(i.e. don't let me turn a ratchet when I should be going into the lower chamber instead)

slyz

Developer
I still think this is easily done with a browser override, and shouldn't be a request to the Mafia devs.

Why not start a thread in the appropriate sub forum to throw the idea out there for someone to pick up, or to ask for advice on how one goes around making a relay override script?

This community has quite a few people able to either do it or help someone who wants to do it, and I feel that since Mafia already offers the possibility without changing the core code, this idea would be better as a script request/idea than as a Mafia feature request.

bumcheekcity

I disagree. I think this should be a low-priority fix for mafia devs, as it would be of use to everyone. So low-priority in fact, that I'll give it a bash.

slyz

Developer
Thinking a little more about this, Mafia does offer spoilers for all choice noncombats, and I guess the lower chamber could be seen as a special choice noncombat, where the choice is determined by the number of wheels turned and certain items in your inventory.

On the other hand, Mafia offers relay browser overriding capabilities, ASH and CLI scripting, CCSs, and the devs continue to add new ways for us to customize it (scripts with relay interfaces was the most recent addition), and this community really should make the most of it.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
After today's modifications, the only thing that I'm not totally satisfied with (i.e. that Mafia could do better internally) is the Turn Ratchet link, which directly visits the URLs, so it doesn't update the inventory counts.

I'm pretty sure that this is doable with forms/buttons (especially with jasonharper's HTMLform), but I'm just too attached to links to add that in -- they blend in better with KoL's style.

StDoodle

Minion
Well, if you let mafia handle ratchets internally, you'll end up with the same possible problem of lag causing mafia to keep using more and more ratchets. I'd probably just call a refresh after the use link.