Bug - Not A Bug my_turncount() VS turns_played()... FIGHT!

Bale

Minion
It appears to me that the functions my_turncount() and turns_played() do the same thing.

I wonder if that is on purpose. Shouldn't turns_played() return turns played (total), not just this ascension's turn count? Pretty much everyone uses my_turncount() so I was surprised to find that the other function does the same thing.

I understand that you may be reluctant to fix turns_played() because it may break someone's script somewhere... (Or maybe not since most uses rely on a change in its value rather than it actual value.) If that is the reason for not making turns_played() different, I'll understand, but I'd like to know.

So... what is the deal with this?

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Huh. The code for the two functions, incidentally, is exactly the same. (I half-expected one to be derived from the charpane and the other to be from the charsheet. Guess not.)

jasonharper

Developer
I did some archaeology, and here's where turns_played() was added:
r4251 | shwei | 2007-07-14 01:56:19 -0500 (Sat, 14 Jul 2007) | 1 line
Changed paths:
M /src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafiaASH.java

Add turns_played function for people who want to write a semirare counter

Even at that point, the function was identical to my_turncount(), which has been around since r946.

I'm inclined to leave both functions alone - I see no reason to punish scripters who chose the wrong side in this epic conflict.

jasonharper

Developer
I did some archaeology, and here's where turns_played() was added:
r4251 | shwei | 2007-07-14 01:56:19 -0500 (Sat, 14 Jul 2007) | 1 line
Changed paths:
M /src/net/sourceforge/kolmafia/KoLmafiaASH.java

Even at that point, the function was identical to my_turncount(), which has been around since r946.

I'm inclined to leave both functions alone - I see no reason to punish scripters who chose the wrong side in this epic conflict.

Bale

Minion
The heck?! Why did he think that this would be better for counting semirares than my_turns()? Perhaps he was planning to add something to it that he never got around to completing?

philmasterplus

Bump.

@jasonharper Have you considered deprecating the function? Perhaps coloring the function name in red for ashref. How about printing a blue-colored warning when parsing a script using turns_played()? If it seems too intrusive for players, would displaying deprecation warnings only for validate/verify be okay? The function itself could be removed by the time v15 is released (probably very, very far away).

Also, would it hurt to mark the turns_played() as deprecated in the wiki?

slyz

Developer
Marking this as Not A Bug. Jason didn't seem eager to cleanup KoLMafia's source and maybe break a few scripts.