Bug - Cannot Reproduce Second Multi doesn't summon all items

lopey

Using daily build 8395. Scenario is:

Multi 1 does not have a sticker sword/crossbow.
Multi 2 does.

Both multis have in the breakfast preference Summon All (stickers, snowcones, etc.)

If you log into Multi 1, run turns, then log out and without exiting KoLMafia log in on Multi 2, the stickers, snowcones, etc. do not get summoned. At all. I'm guessing there's a counter that isn't getting reset, but I've forgotten how to access the svn. :)

Spiny

Always make sure to completely log out of mafia in between character accounts to ensure that any and all residual settings are properly set for the respective characters. If doing this is still causing problems, then it may be time for a bug report, otherwise it's just good practice to do a clean logout and in for each account.

lopey

This was using the "logout of KoL" command in mafia. "logging out of mafia" would mean, I presume, exiting KoLmafia. However, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the counters to reset when a person logs out of KoL using mafia?

Spiny

It takes all of two seconds for a user to close mafia and restart it. It would take I don't know how long for the devs to figure out what residual settings don't consistently get cleared when the program is left running and you log in a second character after finishing with the first. As the devs work for free and have their hands full trying to keep on top of KoL changes (especially the new combat macros at this particular point in time) as well as all the new features they bring to us users to make life easier (louvre predictions, etc), it doesn't seem like that much to ask of a user.

It didn't take me very long to figure out that it's always best to ascend into my new class and then log out and shut down mafia and then restart it so that anything from my old run would not interfere with my new run. The devs, over time, have cleaned this up a bit, but for my own sanity I continue to close everything down before starting my new run's turns.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
I actually do that, too - although I am very surprised that per-character settings (like summons) are not being reset for you; that was one thing that worked for me, every time. Things that did NOT get reset correctly were certain User Interface elements:

- When you log in, we read your contact list and use that to make a drop down of "victims" on the Skill Casting page. If you log out and log in again, we do not rebuild that dropdown.
- If the old character is in a path with consumption restrictions, food and/or booze are unchecked on the item manager - and do not get re-checked for a new character without that restriction.

These are the only glitches I am currently aware of.

Since daily summons are per-character settings, not global settings, I can't imagine why the second character wouldn't get her personal summons done based on what skills she knows. As I said, that has always worked for me.

slyz

Developer
If the old character is in a path with consumption restrictions, food and/or booze are unchecked on the item manager.

Every time I oxy-drop, I wonder why the food/booze are unchecked in the item manager. Now I know why!

fronobulax

Developer
Staff member
It takes all of two seconds for a user to close mafia and restart it. It would take I don't know how long for the devs to figure out what residual settings don't consistently get cleared when the program is left running and you log in a second character after finishing with the first.
As a literalist and a non-touch typist, I feel compelled to note that it takes me 20-30 seconds to log out, shut down mafia, restart it and log back in. That said, the most helpful thing in this case would be to just describe in excruciating detail, the setting that is bleeding over or not being reset. That does give someone with time the opportunity to look into the matter. The distinction between UI elements and other settings should also be made when possible.

lopey

I actually do that, too - although I am very surprised that per-character settings (like summons) are not being reset for you; that was one thing that worked for me, every time.
Since daily summons are per-character settings, not global settings, I can't imagine why the second character wouldn't get her personal summons done based on what skills she knows. As I said, that has always worked for me.

Trust me, it surprised me as well. But it depends on the type of items your characters have. If both of your characters have tomes of snowcone summoning, then they'll get summoned. If neither do, they (obviously) don't in both places. This is a case where the "cheap" multi is getting the breakfast summons (even stating on the transient message bar Summoning Snowcones, etc.) but the multi with the proper equipment isn't.

And Spiny, thank you for your workaround. I know that there are some workarounds available: logout of Mafia, run the character with the tomes first, etc. ad nauseam. As a software tester by trade with over 16 years in the business, I also know that all bugs reported don't get fixed. It's not life and death (if any piece of this software was, we've got much bigger problems than this bug), but it still is a repeatable issue with the software. If the devs can't repeat it, that's fine; it's just some combination of silicon and electricity in my system that's not working.

Heffed

This is a bit odd.

I have several multis with different loadouts of summons. I don't completely exit Java when playing with a new character and I've never had any issue with only partial summoning.