Feature - Rejected remove warning in the boss bat lair while the boss bat is banished

Muhandes

I would find that useful as well. It's annoying to have to go through the checking every time, when the boss isn't there.
Also, it doesn't appear on the first two encounters, no need for the warning on those either.

slyz

Developer
People don't always use all their turns in Mafia, so you could have spend 2 advs in the Lair already, or you could have banished the boss in Mafia, then played 20 turns in normal KoL. Mafia will think the boss is still banished when he isn't.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
Shouldn't Mafia compare the turn on which the monster is banished to the current turn, then? (Unless free runaways decrement the counter...)

Bale

Minion
How about just removing Boss Bat warning when the previous location adventured it was the Boss Bat's Lair? This will also prevent me from having to click through the warning screen while waiting for the Boss Bat to show up, even when he isn't banished.

Bale

Minion
Auto-MCD simply chooses to not change the MCD when in the Boss Bat Lair. That behavior would not change.

Muhandes

People don't always use all their turns in Mafia, so you could have spend 2 advs in the Lair already, or you could have banished the boss in Mafia, then played 20 turns in normal KoL. Mafia will think the boss is still banished when he isn't.

Right, forget about the first 2 advs.

Shouldn't Mafia compare the turn on which the monster is banished to the current turn, then? (Unless free runaways decrement the counter...)

This. If there is a banish counter, it can be compared to the current turn. Not sure if the turn counter keeps the banished foe name though.

yueli7

I think Bale's single boss bat warning is ok, or do not give a second warning if there is a harold bell counter active, even if the bell was used elsewhere (unlikely) and still continue to give warnings otherwise

StDoodle

Minion
I don't want to set the MCD for my equipment drop until the Boss Bat can show up, so I for one would prefer the current behavior to a "first adventure" warning that doesn't repeat... if my parsing of the discussion is correct.

Bale

Minion
I don't want to set the MCD for my equipment drop until the Boss Bat can show up, so I for one would prefer the current behavior to a "first adventure" warning that doesn't repeat... if my parsing of the discussion is correct.
Your parsing is correct. I admit that I've done that when I was being particularly fussy, but mostly I set my MCD down for a few turns so that I don't have to count bodyguards.

You're definitely not wrong which is why things probably won't change. However, even your way, once the number of bodyguards is enough that the boss may appear, you're still bedeviled with the warning until he actually does appear.

Spiny

Wait, what? The boss bat won't show up till a certain number of bodyguards are slain? For sure? So, if I actualy managed to have a harold's bell I could wait a set number of turns before using it if I want to farm bodyguards? Hrm discussion page in kol wiki implies 3 bodyguards, but that post is from 2007. Is that correct?

Bale

Minion
Correct. You've got minimum 3 fights against bodyguards. Then the boss bat will have a chance to show up though I don't know his rate of appearance.

So you could kill three bodyguards before using harold's bell and get in an extra three turns of farming if you're so inclined.

Muhandes

Definitely correct. I do that every BM run: kill at least 3 guards until the boss appears when I use the bell. Then fight at least 19 more for mucho meat. This is what makes a third nasal spary/pet buffing sometime valuable.

xKiv

... I could wait a set number of turns before using it if I want to farm bodyguards?

You have to wait anyway, since you want to use it on the boss bat. This knowledge will not give you any additional turns of guardfarming - you had them even without the knowledge.

zarqon

Here's a decent solution: only show the warning if the MCD is different to the previously confirmed MCD. In other words, it will always show the first warning, then after that, it will only show the warning if your MCD is different from the setting you confirmed in the first warning.

This solution works for everything. You will see the warning once, and after that, as many times as you alter the MCD.

Bale

Minion
What if you want MCD to remain at 10 for 3 turns while you fight 3 bodyguard bats. Then you want to turn it to 4 while you wait for the boss to show up? In that reasonable circumstance the current behavior to prompt after each fight is a nice jog to the memory.

zarqon

In that reasonable circumstance some people may like the current behavior. This thread exists because some people don't. This is a good example of the type of thing that results in another option/preference.

A solution that involves mafia storing the number of turns you have adventured at the Boss Bat's lair per ascension is vulnerable to user error (cf. IsleWar progress). I dislike the idea of fixing a problem with something that could introduce further problems.

What does that leave us with? I suppose another solution would be making boss MCD warnings optional and writing our own relay overrides that handle things to suit our individual preferences. Then it could be as simple or as complex as our hearts desire.