Bug - Fixed Wumpus Hunter color update and deduction issue

it are first encountered together. And possibly some other things, this is confusing.

I did it! Died repeatedly, that is. I tried to get a debug log before triggering it, but got kind of messed up. I sent it to Veracity. So I also took screenshots, and it's up if you want to see, but the error has already happened.

Ok, so I can't send attachments and posting logs crashes the forum.

47078607.png

Last edited:

dier_cire

Running version 14.0 but didn't see a update.

If you get a possible Wumpus then go around to the non-wumpus possible, it'll update as safe, but this does not confirm the other as definite. This logic is correct for bats and pits, but is incorrect here as the Wumpus is a unique room. It should update flags (or however it is tracking the values) and remove the possible wumpus of the connecting room (updating bats or pit as needed), and then recheck to discover that only one room is a possible, and therefore must be definite.

Can provide image to show exact failure.

This is further compunded by re-entering the original room next to the Wumpus as it will update the rooms but still not confirm the Wumpus. So you have only one possible Wumpus room but no confirmed one. This is screen capured as well.

Also, if this condition occurs and the next to the failed wumpus detection room has a possible bats or pit, the wumpinator does not update the color (leaving it light green) but says (possible bats) below the link. This has also occured on a possible pit location that updates to (safe but unvisited). No exact replication available for the latter.

Also, a possible update could be made to just display (safe) versus (safe and unvisited) for rooms with all 3 neighbors fully discovered as there is no new information to be gained by visiting said location.

fail1.jpg

fail2.jpg

fail3.jpg

Last edited:

Idran

Wumpinator failing to narrow down pit-or-Wumpus correctly

If while hunting the Wumpus you're in a situation where you enter a room that gives you both the pit and Wumpus hints, it correctly sets the two rooms you haven't yet entered as "possible pit or Wumpus". However, if you then later head adjacent to one of those two rooms and get the pit hint without the Wumpus hint, it doesn't then set that room to be "definite pit" and the other room as "definite Wumpus" as it should. Instead, it sets that room to "possible pit" and leaves the other as "possible pit or Wumpus".

And another Wumpinator bug that I wasn't sure if I should split into its own report (since I can't imagine minor Wumpinator bugs would be fairly high-priority): It also seems to sometimes fail to remove the "possible X" color from a room if it's been picked up as a possible hazard but later reset to "safe and unvisited". The button caption is updated fine, just not the room color in the node map.

Last edited:
I believe I'm having this issue that is reported in some of these posts. When I enter the cavern, I just receive the Thump choice adventure because it's trying to solve an incorrect mapping of the cavern. Is there a way to clear mafia's memory of the cavern?

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
What, exactly, is "trying to solve" an "incorrect mapping"? KoLmafia has code to listen to clues and build a map, but it has no code to actually take choices and "solve" the cavern. If you enter the cavern and hit the Thump choice adventure, either the initial room is a pit (which should be impossible) or you are running a script which is taking choices for you.

Winterbay

There is also the wonderful possibility of encountering a nice little bug that can happen in the cave when it's augmented by any kind of third party software (Mafia or GM) in that you enter the cave and the browser somehow submits two requests taking you to a pit but you only see one request making it look like you start out in the pit.
Try logging into vanilla KoL and try again?

I had this happen and after a bunch of mailing back and forth with the bug report responder that was how I managed to resolve it.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
There is also the wonderful possibility of encountering a nice little bug that can happen in the cave when it's augmented by any kind of third party software (Mafia or GM) in that you enter the cave and the browser somehow submits two requests taking you to a pit but you only see one request making it look like you start out in the pit.
I've done the Wumpus cave hundreds of time in the Relay Browser. At no time has the browser "submitted two requests". It's hard to imagine that a browser would decide to do that in the Wumpus Cave choice adventure and never in any other choice adventure. But, you are talking about a Browser bug, so, I guess anything is possible.

Which browser were you running? For that matter, what browser is IceColdFever running?

Winterbay

I've had it happen one time out of all the times I've run the cave so it's not a very common bug at all even when it happens. I was running Firefox, probably 3.something (it was a while since it happened).

I'm running Firefox 16.0.01.

I think winterbay is right. Here is a little section of my session log:

Code:
[2297] The Jungles of Ancient Loathing
Encounter: Cavern Entrance
Took choice 360/1: unknown
choice.php?pwd&whichchoice=360&option=1
Took choice 360/1: unknown
choice.php?forceoption=0
Encounter: The Breezy Chamber
Took choice 360/1: null
You lose 291 hit points

When i was hunting for the wumpus yesterday, it recorded one room incorrectly and i had to make a mental note that it was wrong. So I'm guessing this has something to do with that. That is why I was hoping to clear Mafia's memory of the cavern and start over.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
Do you have any choice.php relay scripts or greasemonkey choice scripts or anything of the sort installed?

You want to clear KoLmafia's memory of the cavern? OK. Log out and log in again. KoLmafia does not save the map in your settings file, only in memory and it resets that every time you log in.

Bale

Minion
I know that it disturbs me (perhaps irrationally) to log out during a choice adventure and I suspect they might feel the same way. Would it be possible to add a command to clear the wumpus map?

Perhaps wumpus clear since we already have a wumpus command.

Veracity

Developer
Staff member
OK, I'm finally looking at this 5-year old bug report, now that I have improved the deductions in revision 16014.

If you get a possible Wumpus then go around to the non-wumpus possible, it'll update as safe, but this does not confirm the other as definite. This logic is correct for bats and pits, but is incorrect here as the Wumpus is a unique room. It should update flags (or however it is tracking the values) and remove the possible wumpus of the connecting room (updating bats or pit as needed), and then recheck to discover that only one room is a possible, and therefore must be definite.
I did numerous caves where, after finding that the Wumpus is possible in 2 exits from a room (i.e., the ones you did not enter the room from), I went to look at one of those rooms from a different direction. In all cases, if I heard the Wumpus, I updated it to definite (and the other one to no Wumpus), and if I did not hear the Wumpus, I removed possible Wumpus from it and marked the other one as definite.

This is further compunded by re-entering the original room next to the Wumpus as it will update the rooms but still not confirm the Wumpus. So you have only one possible Wumpus room but no confirmed one. This is screen capured as well.
Unfortunately, your website that hosted these images is defunct.

Also, if this condition occurs and the next to the failed wumpus detection room has a possible bats or pit, the wumpinator does not update the color (leaving it light green) but says (possible bats) below the link. This has also occured on a possible pit location that updates to (safe but unvisited). No exact replication available for the latter.
The revision I cited does a lot better at removing hazards and updating colors.

Also, a possible update could be made to just display (safe) versus (safe and unvisited) for rooms with all 3 neighbors fully discovered as there is no new information to be gained by visiting said location.
I suppose, but I'm fine with it as it is. It's giving you extra information - the room is not only "safe" but you have never been there before. If you don't care about that, ignore it.

If while hunting the Wumpus you're in a situation where you enter a room that gives you both the pit and Wumpus hints, it correctly sets the two rooms you haven't yet entered as "possible pit or Wumpus". However, if you then later head adjacent to one of those two rooms and get the pit hint without the Wumpus hint, it doesn't then set that room to be "definite pit" and the other room as "definite Wumpus" as it should. Instead, it sets that room to "possible pit" and leaves the other as "possible pit or Wumpus".
OK, I am still not seeing this with current code.

And another Wumpinator bug that I wasn't sure if I should split into its own report (since I can't imagine minor Wumpinator bugs would be fairly high-priority): It also seems to sometimes fail to remove the "possible X" color from a room if it's been picked up as a possible hazard but later reset to "safe and unvisited". The button caption is updated fine, just not the room color in the node map.
This was reported in a much more recent bug, which is why I looked at this, and this is fixed.

I know that it disturbs me (perhaps irrationally) to log out during a choice adventure and I suspect they might feel the same way. Would it be possible to add a command to clear the wumpus map?

Perhaps wumpus clear since we already have a wumpus command.
Revision 16015 adds "wumpus reset".

I'm going to mark this one "fixed". I was unable to see any of the described behaviors, with current code. That's not to say there isn't something wrong still, but the first revision I mentioned also will make it possible to debug wumpus cave bugs by letting us replay the cave exploration from the session log:

- The session log now logs "Encounter: ROOM", "Exits: ROOM1, ROOM2, ROOM3", and "Sounds: SOUNDS".
- Save the part of your session log from entering the cave up to the bug in FILE in your data folder
- "wumpus replay FILE" will simulate going through the rooms in the order you did, logging deductions, and letting you look at the Wumpinator after each room. Or, for that matter, letting us run in the debugger and see exactly what went wrong where.

So, I am closing this, and if there are future bugs, people can open new Bug Reports and we can fix the issues then.