Bug - Not A Bug adventure.php lag in relay browser

creelie

I notice that when I try to adventure in the relay browser, the pages rarely load. I've left the relay browser page showing "Loading" for up to 30 minutes without a result. This doesn't happen with the mini-browser or the gCli. I use Firefox with noScript, although everything KoL-related is permitted.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

ETA: this usually starts happening after I've been logged in for maybe 20 minutes. Sometimes completely restarting Mafia fixes it, but usually the only thing that seems to work is logging out for a few hours.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Huh? I've never seen the word "Loading" when clicking on an adventure.php zone. I only see the word "Loading" when using an item that uses javascript to load its results on the same page. Could you explain exactly what you're doing to make the word "Loading" appear in the relay browser?

xKiv

He/she probably means his *browser* showing a "loading" message for the page/tab.

Question: does this happen for all pages (even main map, charpane, inventory, etc ...) or just adventure.php pages?
Because sometimes when I engage HP recovery by clicking my HP in relay browser after combat, I get something like
- combat ends
- mafia notices low HP and fires automatical HP recovery (I have UniversalRecovery set)
- I notice low HP and fire automatical HP recovery (while the first one is running)
- first invocation of the recovery script finishes (hot tube for full HP)
- second invocation of the recovery script finishes (hot tube for 1 HP; not sure about the hot tube, sure about the 1 HP)
- now all adventure.php requests through relay browser hang until I shutdown/restart mafia
- requests through minibroswer still work

NardoLoopa

I've had this happen sporadically to me as well. I've been trying to notice a pattern without luck. When it occurs for me the gCLI reports that Mafia has parsed the page, but is perhaps waiting for the end of the page to load in order to send it on to the relay. Interestingly, if you hit "reload" in the browser sometimes you see a flash of the rendered page before it blanks again to reload.

Sometimes this happens in fights (and I get the twiddle message for the next round) sometimes on first click of an adventure. I'm not sure I've noticed it any other time -- but that's no where near conclusive.

NardoLoopa

Actually, this might be a server-side issue. Right now I can hit multiple places on the map including the Trophy guy, but can't adventure anywhere.

[update: okay, it appears there was some server lag that lots of people were experiencing. After it cleared for everyone I could still hop around the map, but couldn't execute adventure.php. logging out, killing mafia, then logging back in with mafia resolved the problem. So it looks like network time-out on KoL's side leaves Mafia in a blocked state -- or at least that's my theory going from what I see. Hope it helps. ]

Last edited:

creelie

Okay, NL, that sounds about like what I've been experiencing. The times I've completely shut down Mafia I seemed to get the relay browser working again, so I'll do that consistently and see if it resolves the problem.

tonedeafbawb

Has this ever been addressed because happens to me all the time. Always at random points in the game with no discernible pattern. It wouldn't be that big of an issue except that I loose my chat window when I have to refresh my browser tab. :)

Darzil

Developer
It's a tricky one. It's an issue known to happen, but which can have different causes, and I certainly cannot replicate reliably, nor does normal logging show anything odd. I've seen two variants of relay issue, but there may be more :

Type 1

The symptoms are :
Cannot adventure at adventure.php locations in relay browser, but other links work.
Can adventure using mafia, but moods and recovery will not fire.
Can only be cleared by exiting mafia (not just logging out) and restarting.

Type 2
Character pane goes blank and doesn't load, normally during combat, often followed by main pane.
CLI shows results of that combat round, showing that it has been parsed.
Can clear by closing and reopening browser, or hitting F5/Refresh on browser, but that will lose chat and may prevent you seeing that round of the fight (you start on twiddling your thumbs instead).