Feature - Implemented Display turns needed to craft

exactor it

Inigo's means number of crafts is important when before it mattered little. Would be great if the item manager showed the number of crafts needed to create things.

jasonharper

Developer
I see your point, but the turns needed to craft an item isn't necessarily a constant, depending on the availability of ingredients that may need to be crafted themself. For example, the first of some item may take 1 turn because you have both ingredients already, the second would take 2 because you only had one of one of the ingredients and have to craft a new one, and further ones would require 3 turns because you have to craft both ingredients. What could the Item Manager possibly display in such a case that would both be useful, and fit in the available space?

xKiv

Display # of crafting steps necessary for executing the queue?

The bottom pane could instead separate '# of available/# on-hand' into '# of creatable/# in closet/# pullable/# on-hand'.

I should probably go start feature request about setting default added amount to # on-hand (instead of # available) when "don't create" is checked, but I am feeling lazy ...

Bale

Minion
It's pretty complicated... For instance, let's say that you want to create ocean motions.

Ingredients on hand:
  • 5 coconut shells
  • 1 monkey wrench
  • unlimited grapefruits from the Hippy Stand
  • 1 bottle of whiskey
  • 1 brown sugar cane

Those ingredients can create 5 ocean motions, but...
  • 1 ocean motion requires 1 turn to craft: monkey wrench+coconut shell.
  • 1 ocean motion requires 2 turns to craft: (bottle of rum + grapefruit) + coconut shell
  • 1 ocean motion requires 3 turns to craft: ((brown sugar cane + fermenting powder) + grapefruit) + coconut shell
  • 2 more ocean motions use the remaining booze from previously fermenting brown sugar cane at 2 turns to craft each.

How should mafia display that information? The drink queue won't always do the job actually since that is affected by practical drinking. If I have one ocean motion and I want to craft another, I actually need to queue up both of them. It gets confusing.

Last edited:

Bale

Minion
Was there some reason for that sarcastic interruption? Was my example of crafting complications somehow annoying?

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I didn't find it annoying -- I was just attempting to point out that fermenting powder + brown sugar cane doesn't make whiskey.

Bale

Minion
Ah, that's what you were on about. Next time just let me know I made an error. I was mixing up the recipees for two different drinks. My typo in that post is now corrected. The ocean motion and brown sugar cane remains. The bottle of whiskey is replaced by a bottle of rum.

Last edited:

exactor it

I see the point on having different numbers of crafts. In fact that is the exact reason this would be a handy tool. :)

Would displaying the number of crafts needed for the next crafted item be doable? This could be dispayed under item manager>creatable>mixable/cookable. This would be very useful as you tend to cast Inigo's when you've built up the mp. So you're not crafting in a row typically anyway. Perhaps it could be even easier if you can create 1 of an item with things already in inventory/free things like fruit it has normal font. If you will need to craft to get a base ingredient the booze/food will be in italics.

1 ocean motion requires 2 turns to craft: (bottle of rum + grapefruit) + coconut shell >>This would be normal font.

1 ocean motion requires 3 turns to craft: ((brown sugar cane + fermenting powder) + grapefruit) + coconut shell >> This would be italics.

I'm a total coding noob so have no idea if this would be possible or even a handy solution.

Bale

Minion
Also, note that after you spend 3 turns crafting an ocean motion from sugar cane, that gives you spare bottles so that 2 successive ocean motions will only cost 2 turns...

NardoLoopa

Adventure cost indicator for "Creatable" sub-tab

It would be nice for quick reference to have an indicator on in the "creatable" interface (on the Item Manager tab) to display how many adventures items take to make. This would eliminate some surprised when you think you're making a Meatsmithing item with Innabox and it turns out to be Advanced Meatsmithing. Color coding would work too.

Also, could we have an "Equipment" tab (maybe even with armor/weapon/etc checkboxes). The "Creatable" selection box is very cluttered by food and drink (which already have other tabs).

Spiny

Also, could we have an "Equipment" tab (maybe even with armor/weapon/etc checkboxes). The "Creatable" selection box is very cluttered by food and drink (which already have other tabs).

Look in the next box down, there is an Equipment box there with a create sub-section that you can select weapon, offhand etc.

NardoLoopa

Hah, so it does. For some reason I expected to Create Equipment under Create->Equipment rather than Equipment->Create. But I guess that's just a personal preference. Thanks for pointing that out.

roippi

Developer
So for a little brainstorming, what's the way we go about supporting this? i.e. Internally, do we have a programmatic way of determining if a given creation takes an adventure? From when I looked at this last, I seem to recall that mixingMethod being fancy was not a necessary (but is sufficient) condition for requiring a turn.

roippi

Developer
So, this was like 5 lines of code to do:

showadv.JPG

is that what people had in mind? This just shows the adventure cost to make the next one - if you already have one, it won't show a cost, nor will it show the cost to make n more.

I'm always leery of messing with GUI stuff :rolleyes:

Bale

Minion
Nice!

Unfortunately there is a vagueness in the display. Is that 1 adventure to make all the possible pies, or is it 1 adventure each? (The later would be preferable.) Please change "1 adv" to "1 adv each" and I would be deliriously happy.

roippi

Developer
It's just "1 adv to craft the next one." That's a bit much to display but the distinction is important.

Consider the case where you have 1 hellion cube and 1 hell broth (and infinite regents and noodles) in inventory. Hell ramen would display (2 possible, 0 current, 1 adv) because the next one you would craft would only cost 1 adventure. The one after that would cost 2 adventures.

Bale

Minion
Thank you for the clarification. Perhaps simply "1 adv" was the best way to display that. The awkwardness of the explanation is the reason jasonharper didn't want to add this feature in the first place. I'll quickly get used to what I am being informed.

I'm happy with what you've done.

roippi

Developer
Let's try 10369.

We display a '+' sign if the second one costs more adventures than the first one (see my above example with hell broth). I may end up tweaking the logic on when we show that plus sign.