Bug - Not A Bug Modifier Maximizer tells me to equip sugar shields, even with no benefit

Kirkpatrick

I feel like this is a duplicate posting, but I didn't see another in a search.

For example, modmaxing for "MP" suggests equipping a sugar shield on my snatch or hound dog; this makes a quick "equip all" make me re-equip the hound dog specific fam equip I had on previously. This has broken me a couple of shields already when I forgot about it (though in aftercore, so whatever).

I suppose sugar shields are "better" than standard equips for most purposes (since heavier familiars are better, generally), but when it doesn't affect the maximized attribute and uses up resources (shield charges), I'd prefer if the modmax didn't suggest equipping shields when they are (+0).

jasonharper

Developer
I agree with this change in principle; the problem is that the Maximizer has no information available to it that indicates that sugar shields are a resource that can be used up.

HippoKing

I found this, and its pretty annoying sometimes. For example, I normally go into rollover with a stat familiar out, and running the maximizer (even with -tie) always puts on a Sugar Shield.

If I ask to maximise rollover adventures, a sugar shield should never be part of the decision.

slyz

Developer
maximize <something> -equip sugar shield, or -familiar if you don't want to change the familiar equipment.

HippoKing

The point isn't that there isn't a workaround - the point is that it isn't useful (or logical) behaviour to perform by default.

Last edited:

slyz

Developer
The way things work (having a tiebreaker), it *is* logical behavior. I just realized the -tie option doesn't do (or doesn't do anymore) what I thought it would, though.

Just to be clear: if I don't have any pants that give +familiar weight, get naked, maximize familiar weight will equip Hodg pants. Interestingly enough, doing the same thing with maximize familiar weight -tie will equip a spangly mariachi pants (regens 5-10 MP per adv).

Kirkpatrick

I don't see how it's logical behaviour. If I want to maximize familiar weight, what good are the Hodg pants doing? Sure, they may be good for me to wear (or not, who knows), but it has nothing to do with the weight of my familiar - which is what I'm looking for. That's more of a "character maximizer" :p.

(jason, that's reasonable - I feel like I've heard that before, too. So I guess it comes down to the new discussion of why it wants a sugar shield equipped at all, if a heavier familiar won't help your stated goal.)

HippoKing

This just got worse - now it unequips the new bugged beanie for a Sugar Shield, which ruins the familiar (and there is a non-decaying +10lbs equipment anyway).

NardoLoopa

"maximize items" changes outfit to some irrelevant items

Of the following item changes only 1 seemed to really have anything to do with +items. And the items replaced were not -items.

Code:
> maximize items

Maximizing (1st time may take a while)...
1728 combinations checked, best score 182.0
Putting on miner's helmet...
Equipment changed.
Wielding Hammer of Smiting...
Equipment changed.
Holding black shield...
Equipment changed.
Putting on ASCII shirt...
Equipment changed.
Putting on black greaves...
Equipment changed.

Spiny

Quite often, it is for this reason (especially in run), that I just use the Modifier Maximizer GUI tool to see what would be equipped and pick and choose rather than have everything switched out. Did you try "maximize items -tie"? Would that have only equipped the helmet?

Muhandes

I always use -tie. I think it should be the default, but I'm pretty sure there is already a discussion thread on the subject.

heeheehee

Developer
Staff member
I don't think it's configurable. The only way to customize it (as far as I know) is to use something like "maximize 1 item, 0.01 meat", which is just tedious and awkward (somewhat like "ashref efresh").

xKiv

Yeah - I am suggesting that making it configurable might not be entirely wasted effort.

slyz

Developer
As I already pointed out in the thread I linked to above, the tiebreaker doesn't work anymore, for me. The maximizer still advises me to wear non familiar weight equipment when doing "familiar weight -tie" in the GUI. And the weird thing is that doing "maximize familiar weight -tie" in the gCLI equips different non familiar weight stuff than what the GUI advised.

slyz

Developer
This isn't happening anymore in r9026.

EDIT: marking the merged threads as "Not a Bug" because equipping sugar shield is the intended behavior.

Last edited: